Kwest
Years ago

Funny Paul Rees announces retirement

Just heard on 891.. big fella announced his retirement

Topic #6109 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

He will be missed. I presume it is effective as of the end of the playoffs and not immediately?

Reply #69110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sad, but he had a great run and it was the right time. hopefully it pumps him and the team up for the game.

Reply #69112 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Retires at 37 years of age to concentrate on his trophy business.

First played in the NBL in 1990 for Brisbane. Has also spent time with the North Melbourne Giants (including a 1994 championship) and obviously Adelaide where he has won three rings (98, 99, 02).

Finishes up averaging around 5 PPG and 2 RPG in his final year as a backup big man for the Sixers, with a respectable 51% from the field and nice cameo 2 of 5 from long distance.

Full of the most ridiculous stories and probably the biggest tightarse in the NBL. One of the league's real characters.

Reply #69116 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

End of a good career. His production was certainly winding down.

Also worth noting that he was Finals Series MVP of the 94 Championship.

It begs the question : what will become of the PRP?

Reply #69119 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

They will become the DCP the David Cooper Posse

Reply #69120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Cooper would have a long way to step up to get anywhere near Paul Rees - on and off the court!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #69121 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Anon...off the court?

Reply #69127 | Report this post

Tooz  
Years ago

Sad day indeed, we all knew it was coming but never wanted to admit it. Well done Big Fella.

What will become of the Posse? Well Browns, Flip & myself will surely have to contemplate our own futures without our source of inspiration to guide us. Just have to wait & see I guess.

Reply #69130 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Congratulations on a great career Paul. Thanks for the memories & the Championships!

Reply #69136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

REES HANGS UP THE BOOTS

Adelaide Pura Milk Sixers centre, Paul Rees, announced today that he will retire from NBL basketball after his finals campaign with the 36ers.

After 17 seasons in the National Basketball League, Rees has accomplished more than what most players dream about. He is a 4-time Championship winner (1994 North Melbourne, 1998, 1999, 2002 Adelaide) and the Most Valuable Player of the 1994 Grand Final series. He has played 508 NBL games including 51 for Australia, with the highlight being representing his country at the 1994 World Championships.

He has been a crowd favourite in Adelaide, and a villain in just about every other state he's played in.

"It's extremely difficult to replace someone like Reesy. Obviously he has brought a lot of success to the 36ers, but it's his off-court personality and humour that will be the hardest to replace" coach Phil Smyth said. "It does also give us extra incentive going into the play-offs to send the big fella off in style".

The Pura Milk Sixers will play the winner out of the Cairns-Hunter game on Saturday night at the Distinctive Homes Dome. Tip off is 7.10pm.

Reply #69151 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Heard whispers that the PRP will soon become the Hambour Brigade?

Reply #69152 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Maybe that could jump over and start the Gower Power fan club?

Reply #69154 | Report this post

You will be "sorely" missed !!

Reply #69170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very very hard replacement, will be missed!

Reply #69185 | Report this post

NJ NETS 15  
Years ago

REES was one of the reasons i went to the 6ers games :( theres gonna be a big difference without him

Reply #69189 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

damn beat me to it, would have to be the gower power club!

Reply #69192 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Be hearing more from ya in the future Paul. Don't forget that trophy you owe me for work! ;-)

PS. Oh yeah, you retired. Well done on a great career and all that jazz!

Reply #69208 | Report this post

Hurley  
Years ago

Paul Rees hadnt been doin a whole lot for a while now, and he was decent when the NBL had no talent, but he just looks sluggish and slow now. Congratulations Paul on a decent career but shouldnt this ghave been 5-10 years ago?

Reply #69248 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

hurley dont you think he had a bit to do with our 3 championships ???

even this year he showed hes still got it time is right for him to call it quits now,

but 10 years ago lol it was bout 10 years ago he won a MVP of gf series and only 3 and a bit years ago he won the last of his championships,

i suggest you look into team chemistry and role players a bit more hurley before you hang crap like that,

Reply #69251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found it amusing that one of his teammates found out he'd retired by reading the paper, and another found out by reading this forum.

Reply #69263 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I learnt a while ago Hurley has no idea...Hurley never go into a dark carpark.....

sometimes it's not the big things that count, but the little things. Big Sexy always did the little things right....which shows what a team player he was. never blessed with the greatest talent, but utilised what talent he had for the greater good, hence 4 rings.... any player could only wish, i'll repeat, only wish for 4 rings.

Reply #69264 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Great man off the court, as well as has delivered so much for Adelaide over the years.

Will definitely be missed, and one of the few "old school" left in the league.

Best of luck in your future Paul.

Reply #69285 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Hurley, your comments lack any sort of insight into the value of a guy like Rees to a successful club like Adelaide.

It's obvious you have no idea about thye difference between a team stacked with stars, and a winning, balanced team where players know their role and work together to aceive an outcome.

Are you by any chance an assistant coach at Townsville?

Reply #69297 | Report this post

cisco  
Years ago

paul rees gave me one of the most entertaining moments in many years of watching basketball - the night he "accidentally" tripped goorjian - funniest thing i've ever seen. thanks for the memories big fella!

Reply #69338 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

lets hope theres 1 more paul rees 3pt special left in him and a final clumsly elbow for the oposition :)

well done big fella you will be missed i know alot of ppl who go to the game especially to watch you play.

best of luck in the future

Reply #69352 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Good luck PR I know everyone has a fav Paul Rees comment???

Reply #69407 | Report this post

Matt Elder  
Years ago

I am glad I had the chance to play with the Big Fella...

He made trainings and games so much fun with his stories and experience.

I learned a lot of things about basketball on and off the court from Reesy.

Good luck in the future and to the family... a career like his only happens to a select few.

Reply #69456 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

News out of Newcastle today....

Brad Davidson was told the news that Rees has retired...he was reportedly crushed

:o)

Reply #70552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754