my 2 cents worth
Years ago

Mark Cuban Owns Phil Jackson - Big Comments

From his blog at www.markcuban.com

I Own Phil Jackson

Not literally of course. That thrill belongs to the smartest businesswoman in professional sports, Jeannie Buss. Figuratively however, the coach formerly known as the Zen Master must now be considered my bucket boy.

This wasnt an acquisition I proactively pursued. There wasnt an official competition that I won, thereby confirming my dominance of his psyche. Instead Phil has initiated an ongoing commentary about me that started in his previous stint with the Lakers and was reinstated this year with his return, that proves that I own the guy.

For whatever reason, I have gotten to Phil so completely and thoroughly that every time he comes to Dallas he has to offer unsolicited comments about me to the media. I wonder if he dreams about me the nights he spends here in Dallas. Ok, I dont wonder. Im curious about it.

How can the NBA coach with so many championship rings find me so intimidating ? I really dont know, but he said as much in December when he called me an "intimidating force" to the LA Times

"consider a place like Dallas, where the owner runs around, pumps up the volume, intimidates the referees and & has announcers as hired cheerleaders, which is an intimidating force."

Then of course last night he again took the initiative to comment to the media about how I am such a presence in the NBA, that i turn the officials into "nervous nellies". Implying that I can have more influence on the outcome of a game than his coaching skills. I wish. But if Phil wants to think so. Im fine with that. Thats what happens when you own someone, they cant get you out of their head, and they dont often think , speak or act rationally.

I guess Phil was so overwhelmed that it caused him to take back to back delay of game penalties and the technical foul that comes with it, rather than send his team out to the court at the conclusion of a timeout in the 4th quarter.

Of course the officials werent intimidated. At least no more than the other officials who have given Kobe technical fouls to the tune of a league leading 11. Maybe, instead of being so concerned with Mark Cuban, Phil should be worried about the new rule in place that causes a player to be suspended a game after he gets his 16th technical foul of the season. And if I remember correctly, every technical after 16 results in a 1 game suspension as well. Cant wait to hear what he has to say when that happens&.

Of course I dont truly believe that I own Phil. But that wont prevent me from walking up to him and saying "Boo" to see if he jumps, just to find out for sure :)

Topic #6126 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Below is the reason that Cuban put those comments in his blog.

Reason For Response

"I know there's a lot of pressure on the refs when they come here because Mark [Cuban] has them review the tapes and send them into the league. These guys are nervous Nellies when they come in to referee in this building. But they have to do a better job than they're doing. That's not acceptable."

Is the Zen Master losing it a bit?

Reply #69293 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Cuban is the man!

Reply #69396 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

HA HA that's great from Cuban I wish the NBL had some big headed charecters to brew up a storm like that one. classic

Reply #69415 | Report this post

Mr.Gonzalez  
Years ago

Mr Cuban, I'd like to treat you to lunch at my families Mexican Resturant Tio Joes,it's located across the bridge from the A.A.C.at 3311 Sylvan Ave.Dallas,Tx.You'll find some of the finest authenic mexican food in Big D.We're great Mav's fans and I just want to show my appreciation to you for building a Championship worthy team in Dallas.Respectfully,Patrick Gonzalez

Reply #84596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754