Isaac
Years ago

Hurley retires, thinks Pirates are out of business

It seems that Adrian Hurley, coach of the Hunter Pirates announced his retirement at the post game press conference.

He also offered a couple of comments on the future of the franchise:

"There's no doubt in my mind the club won't exist next year, it was the hardest year of coaching in my life and it's a shame because I think that basketball in Newcastle can exist.

"I haven't heard a word of hope in a month and I hope I'm dreadfully wrong and I'd love to sit and watch a game next year."
A Sportal writer put up his unusually candid comments (unusual for the fluffy NBL site that is) on the league site:
Hurley announced that this was his last game as an NBL coach, expressing disappointment with the imminent collapse of the Hunter Pirates NBL franchise.

"This is the last game that I'll coach, ever," Hurley announced, "that's it, I'm finished."

"I came out of retirement to get Newcastle basketball going, and we've given it credibility," he said, adding "I can't take it anymore, I've had enough, it's too hard."
Say hello to the Gold Coast kids.

Topic #6139 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

It appears that Hurley had a gut full of the incompetence shown by the NBL administration who other than give a lot of lip service, do nothing to get this game to the next level in this country.

All these promises made by the vacuum they call a Commissioner has really achieved nothing more than to discourage support for the game and drive away any real opportunities for growth.

Isaac&.....there was a thread on here a while ago comparing what the NBL said they wanted to achieve, against what they actually did achieve. Good opportunity to look at that again.

Maybe it will take losing people like Hurley who obviously cared about trying to achieve something for Newcastle and the game as a whole, will make the NBL take a real good look at itself.

Can a forth Queensland team survive Isaac??

Reply #69447 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, possibly. Though I think Cairns and Townsville are wildly successful because they have such strong local support. In Brisbane, their apparent sell-outs look nearly dead. Is the Gold Coast more like Brisbane/Sydney or Cairns?

Statman - what do you think?

That said, Gold Coast might still be coming in 2007/08 and the Pirates replacement next year could be Singapore from what people seem to be hinting recently.

Reply #69462 | Report this post

sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

I hope Phil is talking to Melmeth, Hinder or even Eversteyn. If Hunter go under, they're chock full of height and we'd have the perfect home for some of them with Reesy retiring.

Reply #69494 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Singapore? You have got to be joking. Burton is more worried about having success outside of Australia than in it.
He has to get the League some credability in its own country before expanding into Asia.
Does he really think someone who isn't that interested in the NBL will all of a sudden be lining up for tickets just because we have some Asian support?
Burton has done nothing to improve the game, and he has to go.

Reply #69503 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Gold Coast Rollers perhaps?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Reply #69504 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754