Years ago

Canberra capitalises on Adelaide

Adelaide lost in overtime.
VERY DISSAPOINTING!

They lost by about 4-6pts

Topic #6164 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for ruining it mate! Dont you own a TV that plays abc or something where you could turn it on to see that its NOT FINISHED on TV.

Reply #69584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta say the mental mistakes are what cost them. Safe to say we lost it, rather then the Capitals winning it.

Sad end to a great 2nd half of the season.

Reply #69586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows listening to the radio you get the wrong information anyway. Was only a 2point loss.

Reply #69587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very disappointed bout the adelaide loss, was extremely excited in seeing them win a grand final over dandenong... erin had a huge game, is this chick hot or what??

Reply #69590 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Lucas lost it for them. He continues to play Ranford and she fouls every game. What was it this time 4 fouls and 2 points in total, and shes supposed to be a good defender.

Great game by Philips, She was awsome and without her they would have been hammered. She cant do it all hersself tho she almost got there. A few of their players need to come down to earth and they may win a final.

Carrie Graf is a real coach!! She inspired those girls to beleive in themselves and they were a pleasure to watch

Reply #69593 | Report this post

macca  
Years ago

Cant disagree. Also credit to Sammy who stepped up massive when Laura went down. Best game I think Sam has played this season.
Sitting Wily, Summerton and Phillips down with 4.46 to go leading by 7 and looking strong with none in foul trouble at that stage was...... unbelievable.
Losing Wily early, Summerton for nearly all the 2nd qtr and having little input from Smith, Ranford or Marsh slaughtered us.
But... what an awesome effort by Jackson. She was absolutely livid 1/2 way through the last qtr when time out was called. At 3/4 time she had 14 points.. and finished with 33. She lifted that side up and carried them to the win. What a credit to a player of her calibre that she hurts so much... and cares so much.
Well played LJ. A pleasure to watch.

Reply #69595 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Well they need to do something next season. They cant depend on Philips for everything. She is an incredible player but shes gunna get tired of that.

He had that game, and he lost it for them!!!

Reply #69596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

macca did you not notice phillips could hardly walk when she was taken off in the last, she wouldnt have been much use if shed stay on the rest of the match she just had none in the tank, and altho i didnt take much notice im pretty sure it would hav been the same for the other to girls

Reply #69600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon , dont' you some time get tired of people who just blame the coach ?

Reply #69602 | Report this post

anonynmous  
Years ago

Then what was the point of playing Ranford for so long? She was a liability in my opimion. There were other fresh players on the bench and he didnt use them. Graf gave everyone a run, small or not.

Ranford, Marsh and Smith had absolutely no effect on the game. They werent even there. Without Philips the score would have been very different, they would have been murdered.

Hes got to try something different. Wooosnam stepped up but you cant depend on her for a full game. Screen just doesnt like finals, she is always quiet in them.

Like I said before, some of the big names have to come down to earth and start to back Philips up. Its got to be ateam effort otherwise the result will always be the same.

Reply #69604 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

what do you mean Scrren is always quiet in finals.....She stepped up when we needed her and nailed some big 3's that kept us in the game and gave us the lead.
Defensively she was quiet for the first half but after that she stepped up, got some good steals and pressured the players to make bad shots.

Bad luck to the girls, Would have been good to make the Grand Final after the season they had.....

Reply #69608 | Report this post

anonynmous  
Years ago

I thought screen was very quiet by her usual standards. She did nail some nice 3s but that wasnt until the 3rd quarter. She had scored zilch until that. Usually she has a much bigger mark on the game.

They were unlucky, but that was thanks to Philips. Shekept them in the game. Without her that would have got absolutely hammered. Check the stats.

Reply #69610 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

Erin had PLENTY left and would have and coud have gone another O/T. She was full of running to the end of the 1st O/T so why would she not have had any petrol in her tank with 4.46 to play?? Erin has the sensational ability of digging deeper and deeper and she WOULD have found plenty.

As for Screeny.. Short memory or choosing not to remember. Anyone that was at the final the last time we played Canberra here it was Jen that carried us through to the Prelim. Hit massive baskets and free throws under intense pressure. Again today it was Jen would found the basket when we needed her and certainly leads the way along with Erin in commitment.

Ultimately the best player in the world showed us why she is the best player in the world. Lauren was absolutely awesome.

Reply #69613 | Report this post

anonynmous  
Years ago

Dont have a short memory at all. She was quiet in the KO final against Sydney last year as well,

Not doubting her ability eiher, she just seems to get nervous in finals. She had a quiet game last week as well. Must be nerves, but you cant argue that we would have been up the creek without Philips

Reply #69619 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

You can argue that we would have been up the creek without phillips but where th e hell would have canberra been if they didn't have Jackson playing for them. She was the difference in the end.

Reply #69635 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

I actually think Jen gets "over aroused".. and is not so much nervous but tries to lift the side with her voice on her own.. tries to lead by example to the extent that she becomes too aggressive and loses some much needed focus.
Erin is all heart, class and talent. No doubt.
One massive package and a hell of a nice to kid to boot.

Reply #69640 | Report this post

anonynmous  
Years ago

I actually agree Macca, and its a shame. If she just relaxed and played her own game it would benefit the team so much more.

She doesnt lift the side when she gets agressive, it has the opposite effect, and thats a shame too because she is a great player

Reply #69641 | Report this post

anonynmous  
Years ago

Also, I agree with panther as well, Jackson was the difference, she is a mega star, but the caps also had a much bigger team effort. They had more contributors. Is a shame, but theres always next year.

The only other player that I felt stepped up when needed was woosnam. She had a really good game

Reply #69642 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I thought Screen had a great first half defensively, she kept Abrams out of the game, a player who can be very damaging.

Unfortunately Abrams also kept Screen quiet.

Reply #69643 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

There is a lot of "Erin loving" going on here but what are peoples repsonses to this...

It was Phillips who had 2 turnovers in a row in OT that allowed the Caps to skip to a 4 point lead with less than 90 seconds remaining.

Pretty crucial mistakes i'd say.

Great player with a huge future and hopefully a little bit smarter after last night.

Reply #69669 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

A little harsh Blue collar.

Phillips - 41 mins played, 23 points, 4 turnovers.

Screen's 3's were awesome, as was Abrams to tie it.

Reply #69683 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Boxscore:

http://www.wnbl.com.au/powered_by_INTERFUSE/_fuse/stats/boxscore.asp?gm=1966

Reply #69684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actaully, Blue Collar sounds like some people who sat behind us. They didn't like Phillips much by the sound of it. Even suggested she 'hogged it' a bit??? After that, I watched the dynamics a bit and did notice Screen calling out for the ball at lease 3 times when she was wide open and she didn't even get looked at. This was in the 3rd qtr. Erin doesn't give up and I reckon she's a great player, however, Screen didn't get the ball a few times when she was open. It was straight after that when whe nailed some 3's. I'm sure she would have got more if they had given her the ball.
Nice to see Erin top the WNBL blocks. *grin* Finals program got steals & blocks mixed methinks.

Reply #69725 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

If Erin cost us the game..... then who without the Abrahams 3 pointer would have been the one praised for the win? Erin..... with a real big effort from Sammy.
However... I do acknowledge that she made some crucial errors late in the 4th and also in O/T. Although on one she had slipped in the patch left by Marino.
and that Screeny was definitely over looked on MANY occassions late in the 3rd and through the 4th when on Hurst. But geez... this side is so young and so courageous... and really lacking in big log bodies.. lets maybe remember their efforts just about every single time they walk out on court. I wouldnt mind supporting a footy side that played with the same amount of passion, comittment and intensity every single time they walk out.
They did not lose this season by more than 10... and lost 3 times in O/T. They ALWAYS give us something to cheer about and I reckon more acknowledgment of their efforts and that of the best player in the world is in order.

Reply #69744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way Erin lost the game for the fella's without her they would be lost and prob not in the finals. Erin is not a hog, infact far from it, totally unselfish and always stepping up and making huge plays, for such a young player I cant wait to see how she plays in a couple of years..watch out WNBA girls! there is another aussie superstar heading your way.

Reply #69754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if phillips is a hog, why did she top the assists for the season? bad call, i think a few ppl are getting a bit jealous of her pure talant and potential!!
im pretty sure ranford missed 2 fouls shots, a wide open 3, was defending abrams when she hit the one to tie and also dished out a few to's.

Reply #69891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you cant blame just one person for the loss on saturday, basketball is a team game, im sure ALL the girls are feeling down, but to blame it on one or two people is a bit harsh.

In the end Lauren Jackson is the one that killed us, Sam did an awesome job on the best player in womens basketball IN THE WORLD, and you saw the reason why she is the best player in the world in the last quarter on saturday.

So quit the blaming, the girls had a fantastic season and they should all be proud of themselves. Well done girls, you can only become stronger from the loss on saturday.

Reply #69915 | Report this post

random  
Years ago

you guys have no idea. clearly canberra were the btter team. if adeilade are so good why didn they win

Reply #69944 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

"Clearly" ??? - what was the final score?

Reply #70089 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754