TH
Years ago

crowd numbers?

can anyone tell how many were at the game 2nite? i was at the Lightning game and was too devo and didn't make it to the 6ers. watched it on fox instead...

Topic #6167 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

1058 for Fellas.

4726 for 6ers.

Reply #69605 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

i was disappointed with Sixers fans....where was everyone??

For those that were there....good work, we all got behind the team and made some noise!!!

Reply #69609 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

pathetic crowd numbers! good noise by those their i agree, atmosphere was great, but could have been a lot lot better!! very low numbers for a KO final....

Reply #69611 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

4726? That's pitiful. Its something that has always baffled me as to how people support the team throughout the season and then don't go to the most important games. Why? If someone out there fits into this category please give us your perspective of the situation. Don't say that the price of tickets is prohibitive. This was an instant elimination game and could well have been the last game of the season.

Reply #69614 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

and was the last game of the season....its unexplainable...

Reply #69617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very disappointing. I agree - 1 of the most important games and the numbers were dismal. The crowd is the 6th player and clearly not there tonight. But again agree those that were there did a good job.

Reply #69618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we should not under estimate the impact the results from the last 2 season matches have had on the general spectator and supporter base.

Seemed like the players had recovered well from the very poor show in Brisbane but no doubt many people, inparticular those who may not be diehard supporters, had decided they knew what would be the result of tonights match.

Those who came tonight did a good job in supporting the team.

Reply #69620 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

The crowd numbers were very oridnary tonight and i was dissapointed. Where the hell was the extra 2000 fans that turned out to the Hunter game a few weeks back. God im pissed off right now. It was the best game i have seen all season long. It's happened two years in a row now in the KO final, although last years crowd were worst. Lot of noise made tonight. Thankyou all that came tonight. but now i think ill have to go for Cairns for the remainder of the playoff, COME ON TAIPANS KNOCK THE KINGS OFF THEIR THRONE

Reply #69631 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

I think Cairns will beat them. Now that Sydney have replaced Roberts with a 6'5 player, they are very vulnerable inside and I think Burgess and Cattalini will tear up. Cairns in 3.

Reply #69633 | Report this post

tanner  
Years ago

cairns in 4

Reply #69636 | Report this post

C  
Years ago

In response to EC 69614 I can say that I am a season ticket holder and go to every game of the regular season and the charity game.. Unfortunately I work in a situation where night work is part of the job.. As soon as i receive the programme for the season I put in requests for the time off.. With finals though its a lot shorter notice and not always possible.. Too many other people requested tonight off so I had to work.. It's really tough but I need my job.. They did have it on Fox on the big screens,(I work in a pub)so I still caught a bit of it.. It just about killed me not to be there though..

Reply #69645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it promoted well? Not a dig, just a question.

Maybe everyone was recovering from the full house at the cricket final on Friday..........oh hang on.....

Reply #69648 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

C, thanks for your response. I feel sorry for you in your situation and would feel exactly the same myself. I feel sure however that your case is an isolated one and does not apply to the majority of the 2,000 or so missing from the game tonight. It is a different set of mentality to those who attended the Fellas game today. Although Wayville only holds around 1,000 there was a much greater demand for seats there today than normally. I arrived 45 minutes before the game started after having been there an hour earlier to get my ticket (just as well) and found that it had already sold out. This was a clear case of greater demand for a Fellas finals game as opposed to a decrease in demand for a Sixers finals game. I am still confused.

Reply #69651 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

$32 + booking fee.

There's your answer. Prices like that are fine if we made it to the semis. But a team with terrible form, playing no defence and getting done by 43 points leading into the finals (casual fans don't know they were tanking) while cricket and soccer have finals in the same city means the 36ers ticket doesn't have such a high market value.

Sure $32 for seats at the front, but why not offer tickets for $20 or so at the back.

Reply #69653 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

Think about the combined cost of going to the 2 games on 1 day. $47 plus parking plus refreshments.Maybe that had an effect on numbers. Good idea re reducing the price of the outer tickets.

Reply #69654 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Season-ticket holder friend is prepared to pay more for the Gand Final but not the semis. Family of four. I think this as well as the last few results plus reading on this forum yesterday I thought the game was sold out (I only skimmed).

Reply #69657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus a lot blew money on going to the cricket.

Many thought that we would be playing against the Kings next Friday night, so people were saving their money for that.

Reply #69663 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Friday - Cricket Final Game 1
Saturday Arvo - WNBL Semi Final
Saturday night - NBL 2nd Round Elimination
Saturday night - Cycling
Sunday - A-League Major Semi Final

Not to mention the clowns that every year for every sporting event come out early and say they have heard rumours of a sell out! Great for a regular walkup fan thinking of going?

Reply #69671 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My thoughts: combination of higher prices, lack of $15-type tickets to grab the discount-lovers, and less-defined marketing - we didn't know our opponent until late on Thursday night.

Reply #69677 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure if the 36ers advertised the game on free to air tv we would've had at least a thousand more people....

Reply #69752 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, not knowing your opponent until Thursday night had nothing to do with it. What difference did it make, the game was of equal importance regardless of who the opponent was. Ticket prices may have been an issue but it was only for a limited time even if the team made it all the way to the grand final, in fact another 3 games maximum. If you are going to every regular season home game, reaching the finals series is the culmination of a whole season supporting the team by cheering and wishing the them well. It was the goal that the team and its fans were striving for. A few extra dollars for a few extra tickets was not a lot to ask. Also as DJ noted in another post, the extra cost comes out of the NBL applying a surcharge to finals tickets. The club had no control on that.

One suggestion that others haven't put forward for the lack of numbers in finals games was the fact that its at a time when credit card debts for Christmas spending is due to be paid. This could leave people short of cash but that shortness of cash would be regardless of ticket prices. Atleast the season tickets were well and truly paid for long before Christmas shopping.

Reply #69783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It makes every difference. Not every fan is like you. Some are die-hards. Some come when they aren't working. Some respond to being reminded that games are on. Unless they're reading the sports section of the newspaper, where would they be hearing about the game?

The club, I would guess, could reduce the cost of tickets to offset the NBL levy and make the tickets accessible. You cannot discount the cost of tickets in turning people away!

Don't forget that during the season, people were using 2-for-1 vouchers or buying $15 tickets. Suddenly, come the first final, the minimum adult ticket was $32. "A few extra dollars for a few extra tickets was not a lot to ask." - double the cost isn't "a few extra dollars".

I watch the Crows on TV during the AFL season and I care that "they're striving" to win the flag, but not usually enough to go to the games. There are a lot of basketball fans who'd be the same with the Sixers.

Reply #69826 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

Why no $15 tickets?

Why no 2 for 1 offers valid?

Why stop the 'turn and earn' model?

How much of the ticket price goes to the NBL?

What was the free ticket count?

We know that BASA needs money, but changing the ticketing model for finals smacks way too much of simple opportunism?

Reply #69860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754