Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers downed on buzzer in overtime

It took an extra period and a well-timed three-pointer from Anthony Stewart to do it, but the Cairns Taipans ended Adelaide's season in overtime at the Distinctive Homes Dome, 103-106.

In an enthralling contest that saw the teams nearly level in every statistical category, it was that single basket which gave the 36ERS an early holiday.

Two earlier games between the teams in the regular season saw Adelaide emerge victorious with last-second baskets, and unfortunately for the home team, the result was almost due to fall the other way.

Adelaide rotated six players for much of the game with those players contributing every one of the team's rebounds and assists, and all but 6 of their 103 points. Willie Farley managed 24 points on 62% shooting with only 13 field goal attempts and played a game-high 51 minutes.

Dusty Rychart had a game-high 25 points and added eight boards, while captain Brett Maher had the 17 points and 10 assists double-double, despite going 6 of 18 from the field. NBL veteran Paul Rees, having earlier announced his retirement, made two of three field goals to contribute four points in his final game.

The leading scorers for Cairns were Aaron Grabau who had 20 points while shooting at 67% and Gary Boodnikoff who also had 20 points, but it was ex-Sixer Darnell Mee who ruined the home town party, finishing with 16 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists - 14 of his points came in the crucial final quarter and overtime.

Though Adelaide would have been fearful of in-form Taipans centre Chris Burgess, the big managed only 8 points in 35 minutes, scoring at 30%.

Overtime itself came through good fortune for Adelaide. They had trailed by two points with just four seconds remaining before a desperate transition scramble that saw Oscar Forman make a pressured lay-up literally on the buzzer to the delight of the crowd.

It was Forman's only inside score for the night, but he had earlier added three of six from long range for 12 points by the game's end.

The scores had been close for much of the game. Cairns started strongly and Sixers centre David Cooper hit the bench with early foul trouble.

But Adelaide reeled in the margin with scores from outside the arc. Mark Nash had a decent impact off the bench too with 9 points and 12 rebounds, often nabbing an offensive rebound for an easy put-back. Jacob Holmes was also effective on the glass pulling down 10 rebounds to go with 10 points.

The teams traded baskets further in the second period, Rychart leading the way for Adelaide and Nathan Crosswell having a superb 13 in the quarter for Cairns. By the main break, the Sixers were up 55-51. Rychart led all scorers with 16 and Farley and Maher were also in double figures for Adelaide.

A customary third quarter slump allowed the Taipans to get back into the game, largely on the back of Boodnikoff and a couple of threes from Stewart, and trailing by one point going into the final quarter, Adelaide was forced to play catch-up.

The fourth saw Mee control the floor, making crucial scores to push the outcome in Cairns' favour. With Adelaide up 94-93, Mee stuck a long two with around half a minute to run in regular time and then made a free throw on the next offense for 94-96. That set the scene for the most vital two points in Forman's career.

As is said from time to time, the first basket of overtime wins the game and in this instance that would ring true. Cairns broke the deadlock early and then held Adelaide at bay. The Sixers drew level at 103-apiece and almost got one last defensive stop, but a few seconds was all the visitors needed.

The inbounds pass found Stewart camped on the perimeter and Maher failed to reach him in time - all net for the Taipans and a final scoreline of 103-106, Maher's half-court heave at the end of overtime failing to hit its target.

The 36ERS joined their womens counterparts, the Adelaide Fellas, as having been struck from the finals race in the most admirable of fashions -- missing out by a single shot in overtime.

Adelaide 36ers 103 (Rychart 25, Farley 24, Maher 17, Forman 12, Holmes 10)
Cairns Taipans 106 (Boodnikoff 20, Grabau 20, Mee 16, Cattalini 14, Crosswell 13)

Topic #6178 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't remind us

Reply #69731 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

2 extremely identical games. In fact almost a carbon copy. Even in the fact that both Fellas and Sixers at one stage in the game were up by around 9 points. Both games lost in exactly the same way and exactly the same sheer bad luck. I thought lightening didn't strike twice in the same place. It certainly did yesterday.

Reply #69738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad sporting weekend in Adelaide...

Things arent looking good for Adelaide United! :S

Reply #69740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crows lost there final
Thunderbirds lost there final
Australia will lose there final today 3/10 Aus batting
Fellas lost there final in OT
Sixers lost there final in OT
Avalanche lost there final

WILL United lose the first leg today? Even the whole thing?
Adelaide bad luck?

98'

I think the City won. (Soccer)
Crows
Sixers
Lightning
Avalanche, i think
Thunderbirds

ALL WON THE GRANDFINAL
What a lucky year. What happened in 96? (for the sixers)

In 2008+2009 Will they win the Grandfinals?

The crows got close... Will they do it this year or next year?

Grandfinal wins: 97, 98, 07, 08

Get my idea?

Is adelaide lucky in the years with 8+7? Even 9?

Reply #69741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats interesting is that Phil Smythe does not how to use his time-outs. He should have noticed that stewart was subbed in after the taipans timeout. He should have called a time out to put pressure back on taipans. Stewart who played a small amount minutes and when he was only looked to shoot the three. AND oh my god what does he do with 3.5 seconds left, spots up to shoot a three.

Sixers need stacker before he goes to Brisbane. Keep Breheny and sack smythe and add ninnis again.

Reply #69761 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Sack Smythe? ... bollocks.

How about if Maher kept his eyes on Stewart instead?

ShaneD

Reply #69762 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

the tipans had 4 players in pay on the court the sixers had 5, its not hard to pick up your player and have an extra player cover the middle for the tip in to burgess. unfortunately that didnt happen. wasnt happy with the little bald guys umpiring, the travel he called on holmes was rediculous especially considering the other umpire called a body bump initially but baldy overrulled him. they have to change the finals series, you cant finish 3rd or 4th then get knocked out as the gong and the sixers have done. the comp is that close any team could win on a good night..

Reply #69776 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

fucking pathetic 36ers...shame. Two years in a row knocked out in one.

Reply #69780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol australia will lost the criket with a score of 370.. dont wana change ur mind? symonds 151 and ponting a century go the aussies!

Reply #69791 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

stupid sport! never ceases to amaze me why such a boring sport like that can attract up to 90,000 people and a bball game like last night only attracted 4,500ish..its much more exciting and doesnt tag on for the whole day...it gets such exposure world wide and i dont understand why

Reply #69794 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

cricket is pretty boring... i got a mate who watches soccer and hates basketball, sure i was entertained for the first 5 minutes of the premier league game... after that its boring as. basketball the only good sport.

Reply #69808 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Adelaide was treated to a great spectacle of sport.

Both basketball games were QUALITY - I would go as far to say the best 2 games of the season for the respective leagues!

The A-League game today was also of the highest standard, its just a shame that the soccer and NBL both have the stupidist finals systems ever!

Cant comment on the cycling, anyone go?

And cricket whilst entertaining is just played/shown too much these days - a game every now and then is good but not every couple of days!

Reply #69817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac, what did you mean that Holmes was "capped at five" in Adelaide? (From the review you wrote on Oz Hoops???)

Reply #69830 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His internal rating under the points cap system is capped at 5 (as is that of Maher, Forman and Hill).

Reply #69838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, I found this link which should go direct to Fox's highlights of the game. I think you'll need Windows Media Player.

Reply #69994 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Thanks for the link. Faaaantastic.

Reply #69999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754