Anonymous
Years ago

Hunter outta Singapore!

Watch out Australia!

A team based in Singapore will be a huge problem for NBL teams. The travel will be hard enough, but be sure Singapore will thow everything they have at the franchise both through private investors and the government.

You think Sydney has got it good with the so-called 'salary cap', Singapore will kill that!

Topic #6228 | Report this topic

52-Cans  
Years ago

This is just absolutely stupid accepting Singapore as a team in the NBL. It is meant to be an AUSTRALIAN league and in 10 years or so we will have a Chinese team, Japanese team, you name it!

NBL is gonna die in Australia and turn into an Asian league!

Reply #70255 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Thats a bit pesssimistic as long as NBL is AUSTRALIAN owned (which it is)extending the league into asia has the upside of funding by of a huge economy, if yopu saw the games played in singapore... they were to packed houses, the wildcats now have there own fanclubs in singapore we could reach a huge audience and possibly make ESPN asia. A few teams in asia would really fund the NBL... then we can finally afford to get more teams in Aus.... hook up canberra and goldcoast... hobart. as is the NBL is too poor to attract big names... this can change.

Reply #70257 | Report this post

Euroleague model  
Years ago

They need to look at having an Australian league and a South East Asian League with a couple of Aussie teams in it.

In Europe many of the clubs play in 2 leagues. They have a mid week game in the countries league followed by a weekend game in the Euroleague. The bench players mostly get a run in the midweek game while the big guns get a run in the Euro. THe poorer teams will not be able to compete in this competition.

Reply #70260 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Is the Euroleague model the same concept as the soccer over there with Champions League and UEFA Cup? If so then it's not quite like having the teams playing in 2 different leagues as the Champs League is more like a tournament spread over 6 months rather than a regular league as such, but I'm not sure how the basketball works, it could be different, let me know.

I don't think a Champs League soccer style thing would work over here with basketball, there would be too much controversy about the top teams having to play too many games in a season while the other teams get a midweek rest, culturally I don't think the fans would see the merit in playing games in an Asian comp at the expense of their local performance.

On another issue, how many Singapore players are expected to play in their NBL team (assuming it all goes ahead). From what I can gather they're not a strong basketcall nation with few (if any) NBL calibre players. Would it essentially be a team of Aussies with an import or two and a token Singapore player or is the local ratio expected to be higher?

Reply #70261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best thing to happen to the NBL if a Singapore team enters the league. This will make way for other South East Asian teams. The TV and sponsorship dollars will increase and promote basketball in a huge way in the region. The ABL will become the National Comp also offering a greater deal for sponsorship rights.

I think if it happens, it will only increase the $$$ in the sport in this country.

Reply #70287 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

Anon #70287 you have hit the nail on the head. It can only be good for the sport. I can't see down side here although the road trip will be a killer. It can only help basketball in so many way's.

Reply #70311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The down side is that FTA and sponsorship are not actually in place.

The increase in cost will send more teams broke before we see the benefits of the Asian market.

Reply #70319 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

at least NZ will be able to beat someone

Reply #70328 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

If NZ is anything to go by the new club will help pay travel etc for the first year. So it should be a problem NZ hasn't been for the clubs. Yes NZ may be able to win a few games or maybe not!

Reply #70346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754