Bizzy
Years ago

Darko to the Magic

The Pistons have just completed a trade that sends Darko Milicic & Carlos Arroyo to the Magic in return for Kelvin Cato and a first round pick.

Darko To Magic

I think the Pistons have done this to free up space for Big Ben (FA end of the season) and Billups (FA end of 07 season). Not a bad trade, guess they will use Lindsay Hunter in place of Arroyo.

Topic #6244 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

No Steve Francis then ? Weird . I thought he was gonna be part of the deal as Isaiah would love him and Starbury (cough) in the team as a
1-2 punch !

$ i spose.

Reply #70509 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think they are still looking at that deal. It includes the Nuggets also. Would anyone else touch the ball with Starbury & Franchise?

Reply #70510 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Despite giving up a first rounder (which is unprotected in 2008), I actually think this is a decent trade for the Magic.

They now have #1 & #2 picks at the 4 & 5 spots who are both only turning 21 this year. If Darko ever develops as he was expected to (granted, that's a big 'if') then would you want to be playing these guys in 5 years time? Howard is a monster, who is already leading the league in boards. The next step, of course, is surrounding them with solid pieces in the back court, a task made slightly more difficult since they're losing their top pick in either 07 or 08.

For the Pistons, this makes sense. They're in the business of winning titles while their starting 5 are in their prime. Cato gives them a body who could spend 6 fouls on Shaq come conference finals time. With Orlando's pick in 07 or 08, they could find themselves in a similar position as they were with Darko, though this time I imagine they'll try to pick a more NBA-ready player if the Magic manage to continue sucking & get them a high pick.

I think this was a positive trade for both teams. Here's hoping we see a bit more of Darko in the near future!

Reply #70513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that you will find the Cato will be waived so that Detriot are able to make substantal offers for players who start for them coming out of contract.

Detriot will have an entire starting line up making $10M per year.

Reply #70515 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

They will definitely waive Cato at the end of the season but as HA stated they now have another body along with Dale Davis to throw fouls at Shaq and bang him up without risking Big Ben, Sheed or even Prince (help side D) picking up fouls.

Losing Arroyo I don't think is the end of the world, I actually prefer Hunter as he his a much better defensive player than Arroyo.

Good trade for the Pistons - Joe Dumars must be top 2 if not the best GM in the league.

What type of player do you the the Pistons will target in the draft? I'm leading towards a SG/SF type.

Pistons still for the title in 06.

Reply #70518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy, Dumars is a very good GM, but let's not pat him on the back for trading crap that he drafted when he could have drafted Anthony or Wade.

Reply #70528 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

He drafted someone that would fit. Can you imagine trying to fit Melo or Wade into the rotation? They didn't fit what Dumars was trying to create.

Reply #70531 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Thats an interesting point .. imagine Pistons

C- B Wallace
PF- SHeed
SF- Melo earning big $$ soon
Sg Rip
Pg -Chauncey

or would a better 5 be ?

C- Big Ben
F-Sheed
SF -Prince
SG Wade .. earning big $$ soon
Pg Chauncey

Could they afford to keep either line-up for more than a year or 2?

Reply #70534 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

The "who should the Pistons have drafted in '03" debate is very interesting. Had they taken Bosh, they likely never would have traded for Rasheed. Bosh is (IMO) a better player now than 'Sheed, but would have have fit into the Pistons system as well? One of Rasheed's biggest pros is the fact he can hit 3's at a decent clip, which creates matchup problems. Bosh has a solid mid range game, but can't stick 3's.

I read in an article earlier this week someone suggesting Wade would have been the best fit. Their theory was that between the 1, 2 & 3 spots, there are 144 minutes to go around, so Wade, Rip, Billups & Prince could play 36 minutes. A bit idealistic, IMO.

Obviously, 4 of the top 5 picks in that draft are now playing at an All Star level (even though Melo got snubbed). Darko, so far, has been a bust. It's highly debatable that even with another star, the Pistons would have been any better off than they currently are. I think Dumars is to be applauded for getting a 1st rounder off a pretty dismal club for Darko. The Pistons are in their prime now, but in 2-3 years time (When they can take the pick) some of them may just be starting to wind down.

As I said before, I think this is a positive move for both clubs.

Reply #70536 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'm quite sure any coach could fit Melo or Wade into their starting line up!!!!

Reply #70537 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

That may well be true Panther BUT with salary cap restrictions they could not afford to keep the team together for that long. Whereas with the team Dumars has compiled they are all willing to step away from individual accolades and all go for the same goal - a Ship'.

Reply #70609 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Who's to say that by drafting Wade, Melo or Bosh that the situation would be any different. The Pistons are loaded in both courts with established stars at all positions. I think it's fair to say that Bosh, Wade and Melo could of been in the same situation as Darko.

Darko was drafted for the future, to a team that did not need any help. Melo and Wade were both drafted by teams that sucked at the time and were given the opportunity to start from day one. Melo and Wade probably played more minutes in their first 3 months in the NBA than Darko has played in his whole NBA career.

Darko will blow-up big-time playing along Howard and Hill.... If Darko was playing 15-20 mins a game with his current stat-line then it's fair to call him a 'bust'. I'm not prepared to label him with that yet.

Anon.... ass-clown comment. Understand WHY Dumars picked Darko and not Melo and Wade. Dumars has never drafted crap. He's nabbed Maxiell, Delfino, Prince, Okur with all rate 1st rounders or 2nd rounders. Joe is def top 5 GM's in the NBA. Here are some interesting things he's done:

Grant Hill traded for Chucky Atkins and Ben Wallace in 2000.
Jerome Williams traded for Corliss Williamson in 2001.
Mateen Cleaves traded for Jon Barry in 2001.
Jud Buechler traded for Clifford Robinson in 2001.
Jerry Stackhouse traded for Richard Hamilton in 2002.
Michael Curry traded for Lindsey Hunter in 2003.
Zeljko Rebraca, Bob Sura, Chucky Atkins and two first round picks traded for Rasheed Wallace and Mike James in 2004.
Elden Campbell and a first round draft pick traded for Carlos Arroyo in 2005; Campbell would return later that season.

I don't think Joe has ever lost a trade battle.

Reply #70659 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754