ShutUp!
Years ago

5 On 5 Off

A lot of criticism for Phil a couple of weeks ago for doing the old 5 on 5 off substitution thing against Brisbane.

I have just had a look at the box score & latest plays on Yahoo for today's NBA game between Suns & Rockets & noticed this listing.

1 2 3 4 Total
Houston 18 13 18 49 4:13
Phoenix 31 32 30 93 3rd

Latest Plays
5:13 HOU-C.Hayes enters game for R. Alston
5:13 HOU - J. Barry enters game for D. Wesley
5:13 HOU - K. Bogans enters game for Y. Ming
5:13 HOU - S. Swift enters game for T. McGrady
5:13 HOU - L. Head enters game for J. Howard

So it even happens in the NBA & this is still with a quarter to play

Topic #6259 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Which reminds me of something I was reading the other day about a coaching tactic developed by Perry Clark, head coach of the University of Miami.

The Posse
While at Tulane Clark developed what has become known as "The Posse." It started in the 1990-91 season, and when Tulane exploded on the national scene in 1992, it became one of the hottest items in college basketball.

To describe briefly, Clark would send in mass substitutions about five minutes into the game. "The Posse" would then increase the tempo of the game, usually to its advantage. Part of Clark's hometown of Washington, D.C., inspired the moniker. "I'm a Redskins fan, and their wide receivers are called `The Posse,' he said. "It (nicknaming the bench) just kind of happened one day."

Clark's Tulane teams have become known for their fast-paced, energetic, all-out style, particularly "The Posse," which helped Tulane force more than 20 turnovers a game for a span of four straight seasons.
Sounds interesting.

Reply #70669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except that you would never accuse the 36ers of playing a fast-paced, energetic, all-out style.

Reply #70671 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Don't know the circumstances but you will often find that after a time out you will get a player listing like that.

Reply #70706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #70717 | Report this post

Anneke  
Years ago

HELP...

I know i'm probably in the wring domain, but I need some advice. I'm an australian married to an american living in california. We're currently on vacation here in Australia and my husband is almost going insane with the lack of coverage of nba basketball. We contacted austar and asked about the sports channel but they said it just covers the PACIFIC RIM, what ever that maybe. So I am wondering whether anyone knows of a way we can watch espn usa or fox sports usa....Is it possible are there private satellite companies that pick up these channels....Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS

Reply #70718 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Austar & Foxtel show ESPN which covers 2 games a week generally, and then there are a couple of NCAA games shown aswell.

Reply #70834 | Report this post

come on this has happened heaps of times at junior level so why not at the top level

Reply #70862 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

On that PHX V HOU game I think SVG subbed all 5 off because they were getting ABSOLUTELY THUMPED!

Reply #70875 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754