Isaac
Years ago

NBL making major announcement tomorrow

A press release has gone out saying that the NBL will be making a major announcement tomorrow at 11AM in Sydney.

Rick Burton (NBL Commissioner) will be joined by Brian Goorjian and Jason Smith to make the announcement that "will have far-reaching implications for the League".

Here's hoping it's something really positive for the league like a major naming-rights sponsor. Or even better, FTA TV.

Here's hoping it's not an announcement that Burton's signature on NBL basketballs is being tweaked!

Topic #626 | Report this topic

incognito  
Years ago

It sounds like something related to the Sydney Kings. In the past Rick Burton seems to have great half and puff but when it comes down to the actual announcement he doesnt blow my house down.

Reply #6063 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Yeah, I was just going to ask what a league announcement would have to do with those two....?

Reply #6064 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Maybe they will announce that due to the failure of goorj's olympic team, the Sydney Kings will now be the Sydney Boomers and all of the top flight talent must play for Sydney to be guaranteed court time at the olympics - oops that already happens!

Missing Bags!

Reply #6065 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe they're just going to give them the championship now? ;)

I agree with your impression of NBL announcements, but overhyping the league is better than letting it get ignored. I know they've been working at getting a sponsor, so hopefully that'll be it. At the very least, anyway. Surely it wouldn't just be a sponsor for the Blitz?

I suspect Goorjian is just there as the highest profile coach after Athens, and Smith is there as an Olympian who was available. Better than trying a launch without them.

Reply #6068 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I know of some major sponsors of big time sport in Oz who are not happy with the way they are being treated by the management of the sport.

May be Telstra, Carlton United or LG could be throwing some $ about.

Reply #6076 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Hair!The announcement will be that the Sydney Kings have saved the NBL from oblivion, courtesy of winning the last two championships.

Then Goorj will be signing autographs.

Reply #6079 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I have heard from a very reliable source that Brian Goorjian is running for Prime Minister in the upcoming Federal Election.

After successfully leading teams such as the 2004 Boomers, Victoria Titans (see archives), South East Melbourne Magic (see archives) and several other teams no longer with us, Mr Goorjian believes he can take Australia in the right direction..... ultimately to bankruptcy and a merger with Papua New Guinea.

Need Bags!

Reply #6080 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

mabe they are gona fire goorjian

Reply #6110 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think you will find it will be a major sponsor annoucement.

The press release which Isaac posted has more, statung that it will be "a mjor annoucement regarding the future of the competition".

Using Goorjian and Smith is basically a marketing tool, as 2 high profile people within the NBL.

I have unconfirmed reports the sponsor will be Telstra Bigpond, who are currently intent on spreading their brand as far as possible.

I will have more tomorrow, which I will send to Isaac to post as soon as I have it.

Reply #6139 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Hey, if it involves hot-air balloons landing in the stadium, and players wearing psychedelic uniforms ala the Pittsburgh Pisces, then it just has to be good for the sport!

Reply #6147 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If it is Big Pond look for awesome stuff from them re online coverage of games ala what they have done for the V8's as apart of their sponsors package.

Reply #6152 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

was the big anouncement something to do with the whole phlipps thing

Reply #6556 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes it was. A naming rights sponsor for the first time in 3 seasons is indeed big news.

Reply #6563 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754