Artis Gilmore
Years ago

Bogut's No. 4 Jersey retired

Article appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald saying that the No. 4 Jersey of Andrew Bogut was retired, he opted to miss watching the all-star game to go to Utah for the ceremony.
"It is probably the greatest honour of my life," Bogut told The Sun-Herald. "Having my number retired is something I will always remember and cherish forever. I am sure it will be emotional."

A bit premature do you think or deserved?

Topic #6282 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that it is DEFINITELY premature. He was a great college player...good stats, and all that. And that's great that he got drafted #1, and is having a solid rookie season, but come on. They should wait at least for a couple seasons to see what he does before opening the doors for people to bow down to him.

Please don't think I am anti-Bogut, because he is a great Australian and a great basketballer. I just think they could have waited a while.

Reply #70905 | Report this post

Franz Ferdinand  
Years ago

That should read his College No. 4 Jersey has been retired.

Reply #70907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess its a bit premature but this is the University of Utah. they arent a Kansas or a Kentucky with countless names in the NBA so Boguts situation is rare. still tho, way too premature. he hasnt acomplished anything. hes only part way through his fisrt year!

Reply #70912 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There in no reason to 'wait and see' what happen's. Remember it was his College number retired and his accolades which occurred during his college time that are being honoured, NOT his NBA numbers.

His college career was very good and most definately deserves to have his college number remember and retired. This number and accolades will never change regardless of what happens to him in the NBA.

#1 NBA draft pick in the 2005 NBA Draft

Won the John R. Wooden Award

The Naismith Men's Player of the Year Trophy

NCAA-best 26 double-doubles

Led Utah to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament and a 29-6 record

Associated Press Player of the Year

USBWA Oscar Robertson Trophy winner

NABC Division I Player of the Year

Pete Newell Big Man of the Year

Basketball Times Player of the Year

ESPN.com Player of the Year

Sports Illustrated On Campus Player of the Year

Associated Press First Team All-America

USBWA First Team All-America

NABC First Team All-America

NCAA Austin Regional Team

2nd team all conference (Uni of Utah, 2004)

CollegeInsider.com All-Freshman Team (2004)

Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year (2004)

Second team all-Mountain West Conference (2004)

NABC second team All-District 13 in the NCAA (2004)

14 double-doubles, including six in 14 conference games (2004)

Reply #70915 | Report this post

Slippy  
Years ago

If a guy is a great player in college, they still usually wait to see if he does anything in the NBA before they make him a hero back at his university. There have been MANY high draft picks that have been major flops in the NBA, and nobody cares about them or what they did in college anymore.

TR - Very nice research on Bogut's awards. I honestly didn't think he won that many! WOW, that IS very impresssive!

But I also agree with the other previous post, that if he was at a more prominent university (Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, etc...) he would would not have: a) Had been such a dominent college player, and b) Gotten his jersey retired this soon.

Reply #70927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Utah retired Andre Miller and Keith van Horn's jerseys soon after they made the NBA, so its pretty usual that they do this. Boguts NBA career has absolutely no bearing on if his collage number should be retired so talk of that is stupid.

Reply #70929 | Report this post

Mr Peabody  
Years ago

What about Tom Chambers and Ticky Burden?

Reply #70950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that I want to start a big debate on here about Bogut's ability, but does anyone think that he would have been just as good of player if he played on a perennial powerhouse team (Duke, NC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc...)?

I know it's a bit off the topic, but I'm just curious of what people think.

Reply #70960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754