Anonymous
Years ago

Lauren Jackson is leaving the WNBL for Korea

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18234423-23769,00.html

BASKETBALL superstar Lauren Jackson has announced she is quitting the Women's National Basketball League to take up a lucrative three-season contract with a South Korean club.

The Australia superstar said the shorter season in South Korea had helped her make the decision given her recent problems with stress fractures.

It will also allow her to play a full season in the American WNBA each year.

Jackson declined to name the South Korean team she's joining as the club wants to break the news in a formal announcement.

Her move comes after she top scored to lead the Canberra Capitals to the WNBL title with victory over Dandenong Rangers in Saturday's grand final.

The 24-year-old Jackson has played in nine of the past 10 WNBL seasons, winning five titles - one with the Australian Institute of Sport and four with the Capitals.

Advertisement:
She said the shorter South Korean season offered the chance for greater career longevity and the money on offer would help to set her up for life after basketball.

Topic #6303 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

i dont really care, she has given so much to the league that she deserves everything she gets. If i was her i would only play the WNBA season, i just think at this rate she will burn out or continue to get chronic injuries.

Reply #71105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Womens basketball in Australia will now go even lower, if it can go any lower that is.

Reply #71113 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

well anonymous, I don't think there is a need to be pessimistic about Lauren leaving.

I don't think there is too much terribly wrong with Oz Womens Basketball. At least the girls are free-to-air!

Reply #71115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pickles housemate, why are the women free to air?

Reply #71130 | Report this post

g-diddy  
Years ago

Pound for pound the women players in the country are the best in the world and Lauren Jackson is a huge part of that. A big name and big game to go with it... Good luck Lauren. Names like Phillips, Summerton, Bevilaqua, Hamilton and Whittle show that we are top level in womens basketball with the exception of the USA i doubt you could find a womens national program or pro league that turns out better players in the world. Go you good things.

Reply #71146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not? It sure beats the broadcast on Foxtel :)

Reply #71148 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Free-to-air is part of the original success of basketball in Australia in the 80's.

Remember NBA games on TV Saturday mornings? I'm talking about Channel 7 as well as the Channel 10 mid morning stuff of the 90's.

If BA wants to recover the bums on seats it had during the late 80's and through the 90's, it needs to get NBL basketball back on free-to-air.

Reply #71244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA Action. A program like that would be great, just something people can see highlights of plays etc and get excited.

Reply #71292 | Report this post

seswevl  
Years ago

loz is an awesome person such a team player.. i love her for it she holds the team together really well... she is so patriotic so for her to leave aus for the three seasons would of been hard for her to come to terms with but she has to do this fo her self as well. like it would be just like if you got offered two positions doing the same job but one was offering more money u wouldnt knock back the one that will pay more and will possibly set u up for life.. she will be back bigger than ever..and import like AB(alana beard) will continue to bring some of that class to our league.. though we dont even really need them we have outstanding athletes here in its self.. like someone outlined earlier... Loz you rock i love ya mate

Reply #72133 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754