Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Isaiah trades for The Franchise

Sounds like the mad scientist isn't finished yet. I liked Bill Simmons' article the other week, where he interviewed David Stern.

BS: So you're not going to invoke the Ted Stepien Clause and give them draft picks [to make up for the damage]?

DS: [Trying not to laugh] No, no, absolutely not, nothing.

[Editor's note: Stepien nearly ran the Cavs into the ground in the late-'70s and early-'80s.]

BS: How bad did somebody have to be as an owner that you had to give his team compensatory draft picks?

DS: No no no & to induce someone to buy the team [from Stepien], which had been denuded by certain trades of its assets, I think we slotted them a draft pick. That was a league decision, the board voted on it.

Well, Zeke's at it again. The Knicks have reportedly sent Hardaway and Ariza to the Magic for Stevie Franchise. Francis and Marbury in the same backcourt ..... ;-)

Topic #6312 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

Good luck to anyone in NY getting more than 5 shots per game now steph and steve are the backcourt.

These guys have talent to burn at the 1 and 2 spot with crawford etc to back them up.

Reply #71132 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

I think Q-Rich will be traded soon and Crawford will remain at back up. Its a good win for both teams. NY now has a great backcourt and they didnt give up all that much. Penny hardly plays anyway. And orlando free up some cap space to make an offer to a free agent at the end of the season. Biggest problem for NY - how will Marbury and Steve play together - 2 big egos.

Reply #71135 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

I think Q-Rich will be traded soon and Crawford will remain at back up. Its a good win for both teams. NY now has a great backcourt and they didnt give up all that much. Penny hardly plays anyway. And orlando free up some cap space to make an offer to a free agent at the end of the season. Biggest problem for NY - how will Marbury and Steve play together - 2 big egos.

Reply #71140 | Report this post

Fred Stringers  
Years ago

Reply #71141 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Didn't give up that much?

$120,000,000.00 for a team that won't even make the playoffs!!!

Reply #71142 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Nice going to see the Knicks Vs Bucks in New York later this year, always been a Francis fan! If only they could trade for Wade, TMac and maybe even aquire MJ!

Reply #71145 | Report this post

Orlando have got a seriously good team for the future now. Nearly a whole starting five of young talented players...

PG Nelson
SF Ariza (coming off the bench)
PF Howard
C Milicic

It says in the articile Hardaways contract expires at the end of the season... that's a lot of cap to clear for the Magic as well. Exciting times for Orlando fans.

But NY have also struck a good deal, Francis and Marbury is a damn good 1-2 lineup. Let's see if Brown can make them play together.

Reply #71149 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

"But NY have also struck a good deal" <--- You may well be the only person to actually say that. Don't forget that currently the Knicks have around $120M tied up in salary this year.

They had 4 people coming out of contract at the end of this season, and traded away 2 of them, and took on $14M until at least 2008 (when Francis has a player option).

Even if Orlando didn't exactly get equal value back for Francis (though I think Ariza is, at least, a decent young benchie with a chance at developing), they will rid themselves of Penny's contract at seasons end, which should allow them to go after a decent free agent or two. As mentioned above, you could do worse than a core of Dwight, Darko, Nelson, Ariza, Stevenson & cap space.

Reply #71152 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

So indirecatly Orlando traded Tmac for Penny and Ariza, with Darko and Kelvin "KoolAid" Cato on the side.

Maybe I could trade them my Shaquille O'Neal Fleer Rookie card for well...err theres no one on that team i'd want for my social team!!! But atleast they'd have a sense of Shaq being back in there part of Florida ;)

Reply #71161 | Report this post

I'd rather have Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje on my team than T mac. He's not a winner.

Reply #71179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh come on your real beef with TMAC is that he has a girls name.

Reply #71194 | Report this post

I'm happy to play for the highest bidder.

Reply #71196 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Nino,

If you package yourself & Tristan, I reckon the Magic might be willing to part with Hedo!

Only have a few more hours until the trade deadline, I'd be getting on the phone if I were you!

(Mod: Jokes about Nino get automatically upgraded to 'little basketball' status.)

Reply #71199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame they'd release Nino as soon as they got him. Oh well back to Social ball at Pasadena.

Reply #71200 | Report this post

Dear Sir
I refer to your post #70937 on the hoops.com.au website where indeed a comical reference was made about the size of Nino's arms and his inability to perform a post game celebration with anyone in the manner of Luke Kendall or the honourable Mark Worthington.

In light of your claims in post number 71199 it appears that you have misrepresented your self in the matter of issuing small basketball icons as my client Mr Kent Brockman clearly has within your guidelines taken the piss out of Nino with out the reward of a basketball icon.

Please rectify this matter at your earliest convenience.

Reply #71207 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Funny Brockman, very funny. George is getting UPSET!!!!

Reply #71212 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

its only a trade new york would ever want. i see no sense in having one , let alone both of these players in my backcourt. although they are both extremely talented players, both have never been pass first point guards. if i had to choose i would take steph over stevie, but it seems larry brown has almost succeeded in his attempt to destroy him

Reply #71218 | Report this post

Years ago

I like this starting 5 for Orlando
Milicic
Howard
Turkoglu
Stevenson
Nelson

Should be a force in a few years time

Reply #71233 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

at bout tiny nate? gotta love that kid. wat bout his mins? im shattared

Reply #71238 | Report this post

Knickabockers  
Years ago

OK here goes. What a mess. This trade makes the Isiah the worst GM in Pro Sports History! Or is it all a conspiracy?

My take on the next couple of years in New York.

Isiah Thomas is on the take from numerous sources. MJ hates the Knicks so much he is paying. All of Iaiah's team mates from his Detriot days are paying. Bill Simmons is getting great articles out of it so he is paying. Bernard King hated being traded to the Nets so he is paying. Phil Jackson can't believe he didn't get the coaching job in NY so he is paying. Anyone and everyone who hated the Knicks is paying.

Everybody is paying Isiah to make the Knicks as bad as possible.

The back court now has the two worst, shoot first, pass second point guards in the league. Backed up by a shoot first never defend guard in Crawford, as well as a 5'9" two guard who is classed as a point guard due to his height.

So the outcome is? Steph will refuse to pass to Francis, since Francis is shotting on every touch. Francis will start talking sh*t to Steph about not passing him the ball. Steph will start throwing baseball passes at Francis's head in an attempt to knock him out, just to shut him up.

Nate Robinson will work out that his only chance of playing is for both of them to get suspended by the team for fighting, so he spends his time at practice and in the change room going between Steph and Francis telling each of them the other thinks that they are selfish and that he thinks the one that he is talking too is better and should be getting all the shots. This leads to an inevitable looker room brawl by week 4. And an on court fight by week 7. Meanwhile Crawford is having such withdrawl from not getting enough shots he wakes up one morning and snaps, comes to training with a gun and threatens to shot "All yall, if I don't get my shots tonight"

Of the big guys (who right now must be in therapy) Eddy Curry is organising for a Pizza guy to be selling down under the basket so that he can get something to eat while the other guys are down playing offence. Jerome James is sitting on the end of the bench laughing so hard at his 3 year $8 Million per year contract that he can't enter the game due to stomache cramps. Mo Taylor is standing at mid court trying to hit his own teammates as they go by, yelling at the guards "to stop this sh*t". And Chaning Frye has worked out that there will be a ton of rebounds around the place and ends up setting a new NBA record offensive rebounds in a season. Isiah duely rewards him with a 5 year $12 Million per year contract after his rookie contract expires. He then blow's out his knee and needs a reco.

Jalen Rose has got it into his head that Larry Brown's plan to "play the right way" means that everything needs to be done with your right hand, and changes to shooting and dribbling with his right hand. After getting benched he takes a swing at LB and is suspended LB, then alowed to play by Isiah, then required to sub himself into the games because LB "refuses to talk to him anymore." Meanwhile Quienten Richardson is electing to sit out so that his next contract value won't go down due to the fact that he isn't touching the ball, and is never getting to shoot. And Qyntel Woods has get a delibetating case of Nintenoitis from his PSP, which he is playing on the bench and at trainnigs when he is subbed out. Which given he is young and this is LB's team is pretty much all the time.

Finally, Larry Brown has a nervous breakdown. He starts wetting his pants during games and sobbing incoherantly into his hands something about "playing the right way" and "if only I was in Detriot."

With his coach having a "time out" of his own at the Betty Ford clniic for massive alcohol addiction. Isiah Thomas's plans to coach the team, and his plan to really destroy the Knicks come true.

The players become so incenses about Isiah referring to his day playing in Detroit and how "he did things" that they refuse to turn up to a game. Leading to Isiah and the coaching staff needing to take the floor against the Lakers. Where Phil Jackson adds insult to injury and tell's the Lakers that Kobe will be putting on a Lisa Leslie type display and noby else is allowed to shoot. Kobe roll's for 198 and sets all kinds off records. But it back fires as even Kobe ends up want to break Wilt 'other unbreakable reord" and has no time for baskteball anymore.

Lastly, the fans of NY are so incensed that they riot and burn down MSG thus forcing the Knicks out of the league. The money that Isiah has been recieving for his destroying the Knicks is found out by the IRS and he hasn't declared it, and is sent to Court. He pleads guilty by temporay insanity. And due to the fact the nobody in NY thinks that anybody in their right mind would have made the trades Isaih made, he get's aquited.

Reply #71253 | Report this post

All that's going to happen for trading Francis? wow. If only Isiah knew.....

Reply #71289 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Ruben (#71196),

Would you also consider adding an extra "Boumtje" or two to your name, for the highest bidder? I reckon I can get that up as an auction on eBay for you.

I mean, you didn't stop at one - why stop at two?

Reply #71321 | Report this post

Bo,

I've shied away from bidding wars on the extension of my name, ever since I was undercut by a consortium involving J Reddick, Jo English, Zsa Gabor and Bhoutros Ghali.

Reply #71329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754