Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats taken over by Perth businessman

The Perth Wildcats are pleased to announce that well known West Australian entrepreneur Jack Bendat has acquired a controlling interest in the club.

Mr Bendat, a renowned philanthropist, is well known for his record of success in radio, television, wineries and his keen desire to continually give back to the Western Australian community.

Mr Bendat said he was concerned Wildcats ownership would have gone out of Western Australia and felt strongly that the Perth Wildcats should remain an integral part of the Western Australian community.

"We are over the moon," Andrew Vlahov said of the announcement.

"It's a great day for basketball, it's a great day for WA and it's a great day for the Perth Wildcats."

Mr Vlahov remains totally in control as Managing Director and has expressed his delight that Mr Bendat will add to the success and growth of the Perth Wildcats in years to come.
Article on Wildcats.com.au

Supposedly Bendat is worth $375 million and in the Top 200 rich list.

Seems to have been the front page story of The West Australian. Also found this:
"[Bendat] promises to spare no expense to recapture the Wildcats' glory days"

Topic #6314 | Report this topic

ShutUp!  
Years ago

Hopefully this becomes an inspiration for Mr Pickard, Mr Gerard or Messrs Cooper, or may be a group comprising all 3.
All have been involved with Sporting Clubs in SA and Gerard Industries & Coopers with Basketball especially.

Reply #71157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whoa Fisher's days might be numbered

Betcha they have a new coach within one season!

Fisher to be found a job in 'admin' to honour him for his dedication.

Reply #71162 | Report this post

Mr Peabody  
Years ago

Fisher won't go while he is still buddy's with the managing director.

Reply #71163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but Andrew doesn't own the team no more so his buddy Scott baby might just go, people who buys teams sort of like to see them win premierships he got them to the playoffs does anyone on here really think Fisher can actually coach?

Reply #71175 | Report this post

Steve Erkel  
Years ago

Money or no money anonymous 71175 Andrew still wields the axe at the wildcats, remember he too is an astute businessman and I also believe that while Andrew is there Scott will stay unless something goes horribly wrong.

Reply #71184 | Report this post

H Bob  
Years ago

yeah I know Fisher can coach. top four team after adversity all year.. an import that no one else wanted apart from Bendigo. vlahov or not, fisher will be there for at least the next 2-3 years...Perhaps you guys should actually form an opion of your own based on results & what actually happens within the team, rather then what is a popular past time of jumping on a misinformed bandwagon....Ask the people that matter, (the players)their opions & you will then know he can coach...
another tall poppie that people think they should cut down for no reason...

Reply #71220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew and astute business man?
why then has the venue Perth played at for most of the season had malfunctioning equipment ie clocks?

if he is such the astute business man why did he find it necessary to sell the wildcats wouldn't he have been running them as a profitable business seeing he was so good!

Fisher coach? jury is out of that, I do know a lot of top people in basketball around australia. Especially those in WA, and i would take their assessment on the matter before i'd listen to yours H Bob

still reckon Fisher will go, he really can't coach.

Reply #71265 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

"If he is such the astute business man why did he find it necessary to sell the wildcats wouldn't he have been running them as a profitable business seeing he was so good" #71265

Good business people lose money on investing money into markets that are unstable all the time, the NBL at the moment is extremely unstable and the majority of owners (or clubs) are losing money, it about knowing how much to invest and when to sell. Andrew Vlahov has a business degree from Stanford; he would know what he is doing.

Lachlan Murdock and Jamie Packer lost Millions and Millions of dollars on Onetell and one would thing that they would have bit of business savvy about them.

Reply #71268 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

i hope that Perth do recapture some of their glory days as in early 90's when they were so dominant in Australian basketball.

random chuck norris fact

Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

Reply #71283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, you may know a lot of people in WA basketball, but do you know any involved with the Wildcats..I know a lot of people involved in football, but that doesn't mean i know what goes on at the Crows....Talk to me again when you have an opinion from someone involved within the organisation that knows the game, otherwise keep talking with all your mates that have been to a game once or twice...

Reply #71375 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754