Anonymous
Years ago

What's The Rule

The other night during my game I noticed two players from the opposite team wearing wrist bands. When I let the umpire know about it he said that he had seen it but because they were tight around the wrist that they could play with it on. Is this correct?

Topic #6317 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #71172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I thought, I tried to question it but the ref just told me to get on with the game.

Reply #71177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop whinging and play the game.

Reply #71178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I did mate, but that's not the point. There are rules in place & if that is one of the rules then he is obligated to it. He is the official.

Reply #71180 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

The umpire should have made the players take them off. A player is not allowed to were anything that would be deemed as dangerous to any other player as well as there one self (see rule 4.3 Uniforms and 4.4 other equipment)

4.4.2 Players shall not wear equipment (objects) that may cause injury to other players.

" The following are not permitted:
¬ Finger, hand, wrist, elbow or forearm guards, casts or braces made of leather, plastic, pliable (soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance, even if covered with soft padding.

¬ Objects that could cut or cause abrasions (fingernails must be closely cut).

¬ Headgear, hair accessories and jewellery.

FIBA International basketball (2004) "Official Basketball Rule" as viewed at http://www.basketball.net.au/_uploads/res/1_23577.pdf As approved by FIBA Central Board

Reply #71181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its meant to be basketball. not trendwhore central. make them take the wristbands off in my opinion.

Reply #71182 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Phil Smyth had to get FIBA and NBL approval to once play with his arm in a cast.

I dont get what the difference is between sweat bands and baller bands.

I am just as likely toget my finger caught in a sweat band as a id band. Sweat bands are ok though?

Reply #71183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u got more chance of spraining ur ankle or in ur case pulling a heart muscle 6317 than getting injured from a band.

Reply #71185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hollywood?

Reply #71190 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Trendwhore Central?

Now that is a town I'd like to visit!

Reply #71202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ref can let them keep the bands on, but can expect a lawsuit when someone loses their finger...

Reply #71205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

71205, either u are very dumb or not very funny

Reply #71206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's so dumb about that!?

It's happened before.

Reply #71209 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Where's KB? He broke a finger in a similar incident (or so I'm told).

Reply #71222 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Yeah its the reffs responsibility to keep the games safe, they have to tell people to get rid of jewelery and this should be the same for wristbands, i mean they are only there to make you look good anyway.

Reply #71231 | Report this post

Why make the game unneccasarily dangerous. If you want to wear them, don't wear them to basketball.

Reply #71232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB broke his finger on a start of game jump-ball from memory when the referee couldn't get his gut out of the way quick enough.
Can't remember which ref it was but the gut reference should narrow it down to just about all of them. Seriously, is there a minimum fitness component for NBL refs? Saw Cairns, Hunter final on TV a couple of weeks back and Aylen, Watts and Bignell didn't exactly create a great advertisement for the fitness of our top referees.
As for the wristbands (and skins for that matter), I have seen NBL refs this year with no idea about whether players can wear them or not.

Reply #71241 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I don't actually see why you can't wear them, like #71185 said, you have more of a chance of getting an injury from running up the court than getting your finger stuck in a tiny gap between a players wrist and band.
If people are worried about getting hurt from that, then how can you get yourself out on the court with the chance of breaking your wrist from being knocked over, pulling a hammy from doing a lay-up, doing your shoulder from getting your arm knocked beackwards, spraining your ankle from any position on the court, etc?

Reply #71242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is basketball though.
You should not be able to wear anything that is not directly related to the game.
If you want to wear sweatbands, kneebands etc. etc. then so be it, you will just look like a tool like Simon Kent.
But wristbands, nose rings, earrings, whatever you like to throw up just aren't necessary.
I want to say that basketball isn't a fashion show and you don't need fashion accessories but then I think about CJ and his game day hairdressing appointments, Simon Kerle and his weird and wondrous hair colours, Anthony Stewart and his wankie temporary tattoos!
For Christs sake, just go out and play!

Reply #71243 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Some rules don't make sense. They are just the rules

there are others which are a bit strange

Reply #71250 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

as long as we are talking about rules, i would like to add a comment, i think its great that we are hiring lots of young umpires but what isnt great is having two inexperienced green shirted umps that dont have experience and know where to stand on the court, in a game i coached last night i saw three or four times a palyer step out of bounds but becasue the umpire didnt get himself to a good position to see it he did not call it. i think that positioning yourself on the court as a umpire is terrible in general at the moment in club basketball.

random chuck norris fact

Chuck Norris doesn't tea-bag, he potato-sacks.

Reply #71279 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Hey Chuck - Are you a player/umpire/parent????
My guess is Parent

Why don't you grab a whistle and help out.

It's a numbers game, the reason there are two green shirts is because there are not enough people in Sa, prepared to put there balls on the line and blow the whistle

Reply #71307 | Report this post

es_K_pizm  
Years ago

what exactly is the point of these 'baller id bands' ? is it meant to improve your game? or just a gay fashion trend? its a bit of rubber for frucks's sake. its a god damn sport not a fashion contest. ban the bands on court!!!

Reply #71346 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

As long as their nails were cut and they had their pockets turned out...

Reply #71384 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

A few years ago there was a player on court with a rubber band around his wrist. When asked to take it off he replied that it was a training tool. He said that whenever he missed a shot or made a bad pass he flicked the rubber band on his wrist.
I was told that the original id band was the "Live Strong" charity band for cancer.
I don't know how it made the jump from charity to basketball trend but some people have said that it may be something along the lines of the rubber band thing.
Not really sure but I think they look ridiculous on court anyway.

Reply #73752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:08 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754