Kent Brockman
Years ago

NBL announcement

BASKETBALL: Naming rights sponsor to give NBL a boost
By BOTI NAGY
08sep04
THE National Basketball League today in Sydney will make its long-awaited announcement of a naming rights sponsor with electronics giant Philips expected to help rejuvenate the ailing competition.

Hot on the heels of that announcement the NBL will proceed with its first pre-season Blitz tournament in Cairns on September 17-19 with all 11 teams competing in the shortened-games format.

The revitalised Blitz, in which teams have the opportunity to play four or five 24-minute games in three days, brings the league's combatants under one roof.

Adelaide, which plays its NBL season-opener against New Zealand Breakers in Auckland on September 29, yesterday had its full contingent at practice for the first time.

Returning 2002 championship starters Willie Farley and Paul Rees were on the hardwood with the 36ers' only bona-fide new face, wiry big-man David Cooper.

"As you'd expect, David was a bit tentative early but he's really started to kick in," Adelaide coach Phil Smyth said. "He will be a real asset for us."

Captain Brett Maher was the only on-court absentee, still recovering from a minor foot injury he received at the Athens Olympics.

"He'll probably train lightly on Thursday," Smyth said last night. "Hopefully, he'll be playing at the weekend."

The 36ers will contest a four-team tournament in New Zealand with the Breakers, Wollongong Hawks and Hunter Pirates before additional practice matches with NZ next week.

Smyth said the presence of import Farley yesterday immediately elevated the training intensity.

"Willie looked pretty sharp for a guy who travelled 16 hours and just got off a plane," Smyth said. "His passing has improved and he's more aggressive defensively."

Smyth said Jacob Holmes and Oscar Forman, coming off quality BankSA League seasons, had both stepped up.

"We got a lot out of our week in Port Lincoln," Smyth said of the training camp which culminated with a practice match on Saturday and which may now become an annual event. "Rex Airlines sponsored the week and we couldn't have done it without them. It was a terrific experience for the entire group and the people were excellent to us."

The 36ers trialled a selection of the leading available BankSA League players and competition is still fierce for the final roster spot.

Adelaide's line-up for the 2004-05 season is Maher, Farley, Holmes, Dusty Rychart, Rees, Cooper, Forman, Mark Nash and Darren Ng, one spot still up for grabs and old hand Jason Williams currently giving it a big shake.

Topic #633 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, I have the official press release but it's embargoed until 10:30 Adelaide time. Naughty Boti!

Full details in an hour.

Reply #6177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, the NBL site as of yesterday has a pop-over banner in the main content area of the front door.

I'm not sure that I like how it's presented and I think they could have tried something different that didn't frustrate users and better presented the advertising company.

Reply #6178 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yeah saw the pop-up but didn't know if my cpu was infected with some problem or it was an NBL sponsorship deal. I just assumed the previous.

Agreed Isaac. Still any sponsorship is good right now.

Reply #6184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754