Isaac
Years ago

Funny NBL Philips Championship

The NBL has signed Philips as Championship naming rights partner for 2004/05. The NBL competition will be known as the Philips Championship.

This is part of the NBL's drive to secure a global sponsor and make a foray into the Asian market.

The full press release is included at the bottom of this post.

Also announced is that the Perth Wildcats will be playing a regular season game against the Melbourne Tigers in Asia on January 8 in a first for the NBL.

---

8 September 2004

NBL SIGNS PHILIPS AS CHAMPIONSHIP NAMING RIGHTS PARTNER

The National Basketball League (NBL) announced today that it has signed a major partnership deal with global brand Philips as the competition's naming rights sponsor. In what is a major step forward for the League, the NBL competition will now be known exclusively as the Philips Championship.

"This is the single most significant announcement that we as a League have made in a number of years," said NBL Commissioner Mr. Rick Burton. "We have been searching for a major international brand who was willing to enter into a true partnership with the League, and that is exactly what we have found with Philips. They share our vision and there are some wonderful synergies between our two brands."

"Our recent effort to open doors into Asia was a key element in attracting a global giant like Philips and we intend to work closely with our new partners to leverage exposure for our brand internationally."

Chief Executive Officer of Philips Electronics Australia, Mr. Harry van Dyk, said that sponsorship of the newly-renamed Philips Championship was an indication of the high regard in which the League was held.

"Philips Electronics has used sport as a vehicle to effectively showcase our brand to consumers for decades now," said Mr. Van Dyk. "We have aligned ourselves with high-profile global properties which include the 2006 FIFA World Cup, the French Open and the New Zealand Rugby Union to name a few of many. Our new partnership in the form of the Philips Championship demonstrates the esteem in which we hold the NBL competition as it joins this list."

"Australian basketball embodies the healthcare, lifestyle and technology vision of Philips and is a great avenue to demonstrate our company's wide range of consumer and medical products to a loyal and fast-growing audience." Mr. Van Dyk added. "It is a rare opportunity to be part of one of Australia's very few truly national sports, and we can't wait to work with Rick Burton and his team to be part of this growth for the long term."

"This is an important property for Philips, as we look to promote the sport and the Philips brand not only in Australia and New Zealand but throughout the region, where the high quality of the Philips Championship will be seen and appreciated regularly by a basketball-mad Asian markets, including China."

The NBL also announced plans today to hold a Philips Championship regular season game between the Perth Wildcats and Melbourne Tigers in Asia on 8 January. The fixture would become the first-ever regular season game scheduled in Asia.

"The League is thrilled that the Perth Wildcats, under the direction of their owner Andrew Vlahov, have taken the aggressive step of seeking to schedule one of their regular season home games to be played in Asia," said Mr. Burton. "Whilst the details are not yet finalised, the move is a bold one and one which will potentially expose the Philips Championship throughout Asia via massive local television coverage. This would be the first step by our league into the larger Asian region and it is appropriate that it would be spearheaded by the Tigers and Wildcats, who have already established strong support in the region."

Topic #635 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

Boti is going to have a field-day tomorrow!

Reply #6180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

New logo has just been released. Bit flat, but decent. I think they've given up a lot of personal identity to get Philips on board -- very prominent naming and branding:

Reply #6181 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hopefully as part of their market research they have heeded our calls for more hard core crowd giveaways...

Free tellys for everybody!!!!

Reply #6182 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Libertine, why is Boti going to have a field day with that? Did I miss something?!?

Reply #6183 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Anyone got details of the length of the sponsorship.

As for the logo, well I guess they want to get Phillips good value for this to hope they resign.

Reply #6185 | Report this post

Ja  
Years ago

I think in general it is a positive for the league. Hopefully now with Philips on board they will look at FTA. I would assume that Philips would want as much exposure as possible (not just the Asia aspect). The more expsoure the better - more hype - more bums on seats.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Cheers

Reply #6186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully we can get giant Philips screens in stadiums. ;)

DC - have heard three years. (BTW, note single L in Philips.

The Age says "multi-year" "believed worth $1m", etc.

Reply #6188 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

MW - Asian Expansion :D

Reply #6189 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

At least it's not the Kings going to Asia...did anyone find out why it was Goorjian and Smith at the press conference? With the Wildcats and Tigers playing the asian game, I would of thought it might of been a representative from both/either of those teams.

Reply #6190 | Report this post

Ozzie  
Years ago

This is excellent news. A nice plain logo too, I hate Logos that are too fancy....just keeping it simple. I hope this Asian expansion happens in the not too distant future. With all the sponsorship dollars coming in if it happened, theyd surely raise the salary cap to a level which isn't embarrasing...therefore attracting more quality imports and keeping the local talent here also.

Reply #6191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its the best logo the NBL has ever had.

That blue looks awesome.

Reply #6194 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

One would think reigning champs? Is why the Kings duo were there

Reply #6224 | Report this post

Horatio  
Years ago

I'd say
a) because Philips and the NBL are both based in Sydney.
b) Philips have been a major Kings sponsor for a while now.

Reply #6227 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I dont know how Boti had that info in the paper this morning.....I had the press release at 7am, which I forwarded to Isaac later on, and the NBL had placed an "embargo" - which means it cant be publicly released - until 11am EST. Unless he got it through another source on the sly?? :)

Reply #6229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think The Age or SMH had also reported on it this morning.

Reply #6230 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah, been having a look around...looks like News Ktd and Fairfax have said "our lawyers are bigger than yours" and broken the embargo.

The only thing I can think of is unless Philips released something to tech reporters last night, which flowed on down to the sports desks, because the NBL mail was time stamped at 7:06 this morning.

Reply #6231 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's an article on The Advertiser site talking about Vlahov's thoughts on the NBL and Asia.

Also says that the Wildcats are lacking a "big man", although one player is being trialled at the moment with another in the wings. The wording is either unintentionally vague or very careful in not suggesting that the potential players are big men (if that makes sense).

Photo here of the Wildcats at training with reps from a radio station. Grace (fourth from left), Rush (behind him), then Crawford. I think the black guy third from the left is Jaron Brown (import trialling with them). The next two white guys after Crawford are Cox and Majstrovich. Fisher at the back, or is it Ronaldson? Shanahan is far right, Burston near him. The black guy on the left in the front row I have no idea about. Is that Rashad Tucker hiding right at the back behind Fisher/Ronaldson?

The club's membership drive (mentioned here before) is moving strongly (the article says they passed last year's numbers; but their site says they have 9 members still to get).

I read a bit on their forum about a young guy called Jarrod Prue who's been averaging 19 rebounds per game in their SBL. He's had 3 games over 25 boards, 8 games between 20-24, etc.

If the Cats don't pick him up, the Sixers should have a look!

Reply #6268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, that guy front left (Grace's hand on his shoulder) might be D'Cress. He suited in their game against the Crocs for 3-4 minutes.

Reply #6368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754