sawmeinhalf
Years ago

Sixers offence - efficient or non-existent

I'm interested in opinions on what people think about the Sixers offence. I'm a regular spectator and have said to mates in previous seasons that it seems like Smyth just casually says give Brett or Willie the ball and let them create.

So many times again this season I watched players stand around while Brett would drive and either pull up or dish, or Willie would attempt to work some magic on his own, but it appears IMO that there's never enough player movement, screens, etc to get decent shots.

You might argue that Brett nearly leads the league in assists, but you could counter argue that this is cos every play runs through his hands (as it should as a PG) and he merely drives to score and dishes when he has to rather than running plays for the team as a whole. On several occassions this season we put up a dismal number of assists (9 and 14 come to mind versus opponents 25 or 30). This just supports my argument that we don't play as a team looking to set others up to score rather than score ourselves.

Then there was the back breaker against Cairns in the first round of the finals. It was either at the end of regular time or overtime when Brett had it and rather than running any plays he tried to take it and create something, got stuck, flicked it to Willie who tried to take it and create something, got stuck, flicked it to Dusty who forced up one of the ugliest bricks I'd seen all year. Horrible passage of play.

So while this forum is in the mood for coach-bashing; are we lacking some good structured offence? If so, who's fault is it? The current players being a little too selfish or lack of offensive structure from the coaching staff? Or is it that Brett (nothing against him) is simply more a SG than a PG and is trying to compensate for lack of team scoring options? We never seemed to have this problem when Mee ran the team.

Opinions?

Topic #6372 | Report this topic

billy  
Years ago

could not agree with u anymore. i regularly go to our homes games, and ill refer to the same game as u have - the cairns final, we went on an 11-0 run where we actually RAN the ball up the court and had QUICK ball movement. apart from those few minutes, the ball is WALKED up the court, and passed around the 3 point line and then, when the ball is back in maher's hands, a shot, or drive is taken. what happened to our run and gun style of play? we have the players - maher, willie, dusty, holmes and forman - are all athletic and can run the lanes. mind you, i guess a lot of that 'run and gun' starts from grabbing defensive rebounds...something we've struggled with of late.

good post though sawmeinhalf. agree with u 100 percent!

Reply #71746 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754