Isaac
Years ago

BASA insight from the inside

An anonymous poster referred to an online message from South president Brian Devey. I thought it was worth highlighting it for more people to read.

You can read his full message here. Some interesting quotes:

During 2005, the Board review of BASA was ongoing and involved all stakeholders including our Club. However, the District Clubs continued to receive financial information regarding BASA in which little confidence was held regarding the reliability and integrity of that information. Generally unknown to the Clubs was the fact the Board had commissioned PPB (an insolvency firm) to produce a report regarding the solvency or otherwise of BASA. This report was not made available to the District Clubs nor its existence revealed until late in 2005.
Regrettably, at the two BASA Executive Board meetings held prior to Christmas last year, the financial reports presented were neither reliable nor up to date. The financial situation remained dire (year to date performance was not to budget expectations) and was not assisted by the fact that Club debt to BASA had increased from around $250,000 in 2004 to around $350,000 late in 2005. Several District Clubs owe around $50,000 and one in excess of $80,000. The Board, to its credit, had sought and been engaged in meetings with State Government Treasury Officials with a view to seeking financial assistance to remain solvent.

In the week prior to Christmas I received advice that the financial position of BASA had worsened and that an urgent meeting with the State Treasurer (the Hon Kevin Foley MP) would be sought early in the New Year. Further, that indemnity was being sought for the BASA Executive Board Members.

Topic #6377 | Report this topic

cavolo  
Years ago

If only all communication was this clear from the powers that be in basketball - being a district player I certainly hope that clubs aren't amalgamated and that the competition continues but improves on the administration side.

Time will tell - 30th of April that is... =)

Reply #71761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who are the clubs so heavily indebted to BASA? Centrals are obviously one.

Which clubs are potential merger "partners"?

Reply #71780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i've heard whispers its Southern?

Reply #71782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was told Southern owed heaps. Surely they can't merge again!!

Reply #71790 | Report this post

Jimmy Floyd  
Years ago

I have heard two rumours

1) Centrals  North Adelaide to merge and be called the Northern Rockets and play out of Starplex Stadium in Gawler. Hillcrest will be sold (as I believe that North Adelaide Own the land and stadium).

2) Centrals Districts Lions will shut up shop and Trinity College will take over the licence and play out of starplex called Trinity college lions, ABA included.

Not sure how factual they are but I was informed by a very reliable source after reading what the South Adelaide president Brian Devey said it puts a bit more truth to either of them happening.

Reply #71810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would North want o merge with Centrals - what are the incentives?

1. Take over a huge debt
2. Lose current players due to travel
3. Use a stadium, albeit it better, which is not controlled by the club.
4. Boost their juniors performances by recruiting Centrals juniors

I can't see the upside for North.

Reply #71820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would North want o merge with Centrals - what are the incentives?

1. Take over a huge debt

- Reduce overheads and risk for the BASA run Hillcrest

2. Lose current players due to travel

- Some players would move to clubs like norwood and some players would play for the new club.

3. Use a stadium, albeit it better, which is not controlled by the club.

- The clubs would merge it would be controlled by the club.

4. Boost their juniors performances by recruiting Centrals juniors

- Clubs would merge.

I can't see the upside for North.

Reply #71824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this will happen.

Reply #71829 | Report this post

Jimmy Floyd  
Years ago

Purely a rumour and I didn't say it was 100% factual. I guess we will have to wait and see what changes Interim Controller Bruce Carter deems necessary

North Adelaide could quite easily be a club in financial trouble and need to find a merger partner to fulfil any obligations Interim Controller to manage the day to day financial affairs of BASA (Bruce Carter) has put in place as part of the strategic plan, I guess 30 April 2006 is going to be a ground breaking day for basketball in South Australia.

Reply #71830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am curious if this could occur if both parties did not agree. Could it be forced? Who by? - The other clubs?

As Norwood doesn't have a home venue are they a possibility as well?

Perhaps Sturt and Forestville - close to each other and seem to have similar philosophies! Why not?

Woodville/West - pretty obvious to me.

Glad we have rumours to keep the day interesting!

Reply #71836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hillcrest stadium is council owned
not by the club

Reply #71839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimmy Floyd

what a load of crap if you knew anything about basketball you would know that the Hillcrest stadium is council owned and not owned by either North Adelaide NOR Basketball SA so how could it North sell it an almagmate?

it is always possible that given it is a council owned parcel of land/builing that it might be returned to park lands like bowden was, but as it is in amongst business or light industrial that probably wouldn't happen but saying that those business aren't open at night nor create noise at night like the stadium, after all both col light stadium (burnt to ground) and marion had to relocate their entrances because of locate rate payers increasing complaints.

How can Trinity buy a licence.
Basketball SA have member clubs there is no licence to buy, you have to met certain guide lines and there has been no added teams since 1983 when both Woodville and Centrals became member clubs, Eastern is an affliated club (country - or something or other)

why hasn't someone thought of Norwood and North joining after all, Norwood have been the gypsies of basketball for many a year without a real permanent base they have been at St Bernards, Powerhouse, Mars, and now are playing their games out of Wayville.

Reply #71845 | Report this post

Tynan  
Years ago

If Woodville merge with the Bearcats and they can negotiate to continue to get the Woodville "special" sunbsidies, then this could mean that you could nearly play there for free !!

Reply #71864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon Pickard, WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!!

Reply #71866 | Report this post

OGB  
Years ago

North and Norwood amalgamate!
Good grief. Both Clubs are well managed and are finacially solvent. Amalgamation would make a club of over 90 junior teams and about 26 senior teams. What would be the point! The demogrphics of the capture areas show an increase in the number of houses and thus the number of potential player for both teams.
Norwood lack of a home is a problem that has to be solved but not by combining two of the largest and most successful Clubs.
Also a 10 team ABL competition is about the lowest number of teams to make the competition viable. Would their be any point in having two Clubs that play each other 22 time in the ABL season?

Reply #71874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South, North and West are all in old factories or looks like it.

BASA should make a couple of new stadiums i think...

When they get the CASH!

Reply #71893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am curious if this could occur if both parties did not agree. Could it be forced?

Yes

Who by? - The other clubs?

And Yes.

If one of the club or both of the clubs were insolvent then the other stakeholders in BASA could force a merger.

Reply #71899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought both have to be insolvent to force a merger. Makes one bid insolvent club.

Forget overhead savings by merging, If the debts are that large it won't make an impact.

Reply #71909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#71864)
tynan I thought you were warned about those types of comments causing problems with administrators

do you just have an axe to grind?

Reply #71925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754