Anonymous
Years ago

Whats the rule? Playing Div 3s in Div 5

Last night i couldnt help but see many Div 5 teams were playing div 3 players.

i was wondering what the rule was for this

these teams hve div 4 teams as well. Are the allowed to drop players down 2 grades like this

Does anyone know the rule?

Topic #6381 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard a lot of div 5 teams do this as BASA don't check so they can get away with it. I would have thought that dropping two div's wouldn't be ok but who regulates it? I would imagine that people play div 5 so that they aren't playing against div 3 players! Hopefully someone can shed some light anonymous.

Reply #71784 | Report this post

Jimmy Floyd  
Years ago

In BASA juniors competitions a player can only drop one grade at a time

Div 1 to div 2 or Div 2 to Div 3.

A player can go from div 5 to div 1 but must come back via the Div 2,3 or 4 one week at a time.

A player cannot drop from Div 1 to div 3, if that happens then the team can lose the points if a protest is put in.

Not sure if it any different in seniors.

Reply #71794 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

My understanding is that in seniors your allowed to play in any div. There is only two exceptions to the rule that I know of.

1. A player starting in a lower div must come of the bench for the higher div. If they started on the bench in a lower div they can start in a high div. Pretty stupid rule because you could have someone wait on the bench and a foul occurs with 10 seconds gone and sub them on.

2. To qualify for finals a player must play 4 games during the first half of the season as well as the last half.

This is my understanding of the rules but I could be totally wrong. Also I think that it makes the leagues very random but also can make leagues very competitive. Also it is good to play against someone of a high standard sometimes.

Reply #71798 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think if you start a higher grade, you can't play in the lower grade.

Torrens Valley do it all the time between reserves and Div 3.

I don't really mind players dropping a grade, starters or otherwise, but two grades is a bit much.

Reply #71800 | Report this post

Rodman  
Years ago

King James is right ...Senior's

Having to go against teams that are stacked all the time about 3 years ago its best to speak to your club rep about it to get the rules down

I know we at North we dont let this happen and the Player has to be Rego'ed with the Intent of playing in the Div that they have their abilties and what they can do for the team ....this is Senior's that is all I can comment on not juniors

Reply #71804 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

a lot of it gets down to - bill or jean are only available tuesday and monday - so they can either play div 2,3 or 5 - and may work wednesdays - so they skip wednesdays and hence can not p[lay div 4 or vice versa a lot of good div 3 and 4 players never play reserves - cause they are not available tuesdays due to work etc

Reply #71835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats strange, I play div 5 and have not seen "many" div 5 teams with div 3 players, actually in the last few years I don't recall seeing it much at all. I have been playing div 5 for about 4 years. Where did you see these teams?

Reply #71843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what team do you play in and is this mens or womens

Reply #71848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North have won the premiership in Div 5 Women the past 3 seasons, then last week lost by about 30 points to South who had many (if not all) Div 3 players playing. If the South girls think this is an achievement - beating a team which is 2 Divs below them - then they're dreaming!!

Reply #71856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoops, not South, I meant UDBC!! (Sorry!!)

Reply #71857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sound dodgy, i looked on SPorting Pulse and UDBC don't have a div 4 women's team anymore so that would mean they are playing 2 div's lower, assuming that they are all still playing in 3's. I don't see the point of playing 2 div's lower either, a couple of players maybe but not the whole team. Is it definately happening though, just because they played 3's last season doesn't mean they are this season. If they are what can be done anyway????

Reply #71869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to play div 4 and div 5 - we were under the impression that it was fine as long as you didn't start in the higher grade - I think this is also the case higher up - in the summer season if my bf starts in div 1 he can't play div 2 on wed night...

Reply #71884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to play div 4 and div 5 - we were under the impression that it was fine as long as you didn't start in the higher grade - I think this is also the case higher up - in the summer season if my bf starts in div 1 he can't play div 2 on wed night...

Reply #71886 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

are you sure they cant jump, ive known players who were struggling in div 1, then had a 2-3 month injury and played a few games in div 3 before being put in div 2, is this ok?

Reply #71920 | Report this post

pest  
Years ago

I was playing 3's and i dropped myself to div 5 permanently because of personality clashes. Noone has ever told me about any rules that would contradict what happened

Reply #71929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that dropping permanantly to a lower div or playing a few games after injury is the issue, it sounds more like players are playing consistently in both divs every week when they are a div 3 standard.....whether they have started in div 3 or not. The other issue is whether BASA regulates this anyway.

Reply #72011 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

This is my first post to this forum but I felt it necessary to reply to the above comments. I am the President of United Districts and I would like to point out the following:
We have had only TWO players come down from Division 3 to Division 5, both players are not in the position personally to play Division 3 for the present season. The rest of the team have been members of the Div 5 team for approximately 4 years. As we dont have a Division 4 team this season, this is where these players are playing. They DONT play in both grades, they are purely Division 5 players. And if anyone happened to have seen the game we played against North 1, it is possible for them to be beaten, despite their two previous premierships. They had a really bad game, were undermanned compared to their previous games with us, and we played very well. As a club we are very careful to make sure that we follow ALL bylaws to the letter, including the playing of players in two grades. We even provide scorers above and beyond what is required which is more than I can say for many of the other Clubs, and not to mention uniform clashes. If anyone has a problem with anything to do with our club please feel free to contact me on [email protected]

Reply #72117 | Report this post

Rodman  
Years ago

Plus North 1 have losted one of their Best Players to the North 2 during the off season team so that would have a lot to do with it

Michelle I'm with ya dont worry

The Coach of Div 5.2 Women at North (Matt)

Reply #72248 | Report this post

Rodman  
Years ago

Plus North 1 have losted one of their Best Players to the North 2 during the off season team so that would have a lot to do with it

Michelle I'm with ya dont worry

The Coach of Div 5.2 Women at North (Matt)

Reply #72249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is dat matt hampton??/

Reply #72343 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754