Isaac
Years ago

Crocs coaching job down to four, inc. Ninnis

Brendan Joyce is the last to pitch to the club for the job. Supposedly he'd said he'd stay true to his contract with Wollongong, but the Hawks apparently gave him the freedom to consider his options and I think it might've been a "What's that supposed to mean?!?" moment.

But Gibson said today that Joyce and Townsville assistant Scott Ninnis were in the mix along with two overseas-based applicants.
And good news for Ninny:
Gibson meanwhile admitted Ninnis had an advantage over the other candidates.

"What he's got over the others is that he's had a first-hand look at what transpired last season," he said.

"He's been an assistant in the league for eight years now, he's certainly done his apprenticeship."

Ninnis has also monitored Townsville player negotiations in the interim.

Only captain John Rillie had the option to exercise a "get out" clause if Stacker was sacked, but the chief executive confirmed the player would stay in Townsville.

Topic #6411 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Follow up - the suggestion seems to be that Joyce has already been given the job and might coax a Hawk or more to join him. And that it's been a done deal for a little while but they're just going through some media formalities so as not to look too underhanded re Hawks and so on.

One of the reasons behind that thinking is that if Rillie had an out-clause in the event of a coaching coach change, he wouldn't be agreeing to stay on unless he knew who the coach was going to be.

Seems like a reasonable assumption?

Reply #72074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coaching coach?

(Mod: Sorry, if I'm typing too fast I'll make stupid mistakes like that. Fixed.)

Reply #72076 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Will Rose continue?

He would be an ideal assistant coach, a role model for the youngsters.

Maybe Groves and Newley backcourt?

Reply #72078 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Rose needs to retire before the NBL experiences its first on-court player death.

Agree that he would be a great coach and role model.

Reply #72088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have always found Rose to be "me" orientated

remember back when Rose played state league for forestville, a number of games i saw, which would make me think it was more the norm than not, he would turnup within 3 mins to game time do a few lay ups in warm up and start the game and get at least one tech foul - remember him being reported by weeksy one night when he realised he might have to miss the nbl if he was found guilty he turned white!

at hall/wollacot medal count he and his wife turned up with young baby in attendance and sat at a table by themselves (team unity? or because of the baby i don't know) I remember asking him if his child was going to be a basketballer and his reply was a very quick, no he'll play tennis or golf something he can earn more money and not have to rely on teammates for success.

Never knew him personally, but from the outside he appeared selfish, also thought that when he seemingly (until townsville) had no club loyalty moving on a few years.

Reply #72111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754