red dog
Years ago

singlet presentation

the singlet presentation was held last night at the festival center for the lightning and sixers. it was a glam affair seemed that it was run by the new PR mob. Fairly tightly run apart from Dave Flannagan the comedian who went free range for about half an hour and had people laughing most of the time. sixers named their 10th man-Jason as predicted in media and named Hambour and Gower as 11/12. Good food, stylish venue and maybe close to 250 present. They did lose the remote for the sound for a while and couldn't find a knob to manually turn it down but apart from that everything went well. Willie spoke and looked and sounded enthusiastic.
hambour arguably had the best moves as the guys tried to outperform the sixers girls who were on stage welcoming them.

Topic #642 | Report this topic

Punter  
Years ago

Do you think the 36ers have gone the right way with there final spots on the squad.
I thought they may have gone for youth atleast for the 12th spot to start some serious development and have a ready made player in a season or two.

Reply #6264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can understand signing Williams because we can't throw a rookie in to back up Maher. Other options (Travis Lane, etc) may have been out of our budget, and I think Williams is a good signing even if it limits the opportunities of a younger player.

As for 11 and 12, I agree that it might not have been the best option to double up with two big players but hopefully the Academy will provide young players with opportunities that did not previously exist.

Reply #6267 | Report this post

Ozzie  
Years ago

Disgraceful choices for the 10th, 11th and 12th spots. Not happy at all. Gower????? YOU'RE JOKING !!!!!

Reply #6270 | Report this post

no idea  
Years ago

what happened to puds?? no good or what, thought he was in rather than gower, just shows they love to stick with guys rather than trying new ones. once again pathetic

Reply #6271 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Just shows how far a Sturt singlet can get you, really.

Gower is terrible, basically everyone in the Academy would have more game than him. He ain't gonna develop, people!!

I can handle Jason, though I would have liked a new face.

Reply #6273 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"no idea": Puddifoot may not have performed over the last few weeks, who knows.

Ozzie: Who would you have picked for 10th? (I'm not saying that there weren't other options, but I'm just interested in hearing what those might've been.) I figured the criteria would've been someone within the budget who could come on for 10-20 minutes to back up Maher and I guess that immediately limits options.

Reply #6274 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Better the devil you know

Reply #6275 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

dear me...i dont have any major problems with williams, as he will do some what of a serviceable job....but dear me hambour and gower, what on earth would these guys ever do in the nbl.....on their best night, they would still be ineffective...what a joke???....gower, i find it seriously unbelievable.

Reply #6276 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

The key word why they didn't pick the young guys at 11 and 12 is Development. It seems they don't want to be bothered with development is Phil laying the plays out and recruiting players that can play within his guidlines.

Jason Williams has played under Phil for how many years? Has he improved? A good ABA player, has he been schooled/developed in stepping up the the next level? I would be interested if anyone knew how much time Phil and Steve spend with the players improving their skills or are they always working on the team game.

Reply #6277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting points!!

Reply #6278 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What poor but totally predictable choices. Now I know why I didnt renew my season ticket 2 years ago and wont again til I see some changes. Suprised Wilkey didnt get in over Hambour though!!

Out with Phil Smyth its time for a change!!!!

Reply #6281 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yeah, great call...

Out with him, we havent won a championship now for, oh how many years?

You clown.

Reply #6283 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

Sturty6ers... the only thing predictable about your post was the totally LAME use of an indentity. You sir are a moron. I think that whilst the selections were predictable, its because of the lack of other 'real' options. Dont get me wrong, i agree with most that Hambour and Gower are lucky to be there, lets face it, they hardly make an impact at ABA level, but are they really there to make an impact? NO. Does the term 'training fodder' mean anything to anyone? LOOK OUTSIDE THE SQUARE PEOPLE... these guys will have splinters in their asses all year. They are simply making up the numbers.

As for your call to sack Phil... you'll be eating those words come March... GO THE GENERAL!

Reply #6284 | Report this post

Would love to know why only people from sturt are making the team. As so many people are bagging the Sturt Club. What connection is there now with the coaching roster. In the end it is phil's decision and phil, correct me if I'm wrong, played for woodville.

Reply #6285 | Report this post

Dirty6ers  
Years ago

(Mod: Baleeeted.)

Reply #6287 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Jar......... your wrong. Phil played for Sturt and St. Kilda here. Sixers want history and don't invite Jan Stirling? Why are you surprised I bet they didn't invite any past players or coaches either. Even dopes like Hawthorn do that.

Reply #6289 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

puddifoot, are you joking? he left sturt. only people who COME to sturt make the sixers. that and he thinks he is every team's dream come true. he couldn't hack sitting on the bench all game.

Reply #6290 | Report this post

Mr Nice Guy  
Years ago

Phil was a Sturt boy, was signed to Woodville but never actually played a game with them I think you'll find it was at this point in his life that he went east. On the other hand David did play and coach in the green and gold.

It's good to see that the new PR people are working well. Hopefully they can bring in more sponsorship.

Reply #6293 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Sturty6ers, I agree, you are a moron, people like you don't deserve season tickets. Wilkey are you kidding, since he left Centrals he hasn't developed at all. I think he has great potential but needs to be coached not managed.

Development is the key to success.

Reply #6294 | Report this post

hoopin  
Years ago

yeah very true

Reply #6295 | Report this post

hoopin  
Years ago

Gower
Wilkey (squad)
Illman
Bauer
Willaims
Foreman
Benson (squad)
All average players that got a go because they play for Sturt

Reply #6296 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Oh people please take a joke

Interested - the Wilkey line was a tongue in cheek remark!!

Hoopin - I dont totally agree some of those guys had talent what I dont like is when guys like Illman, Gower, Wilkey etc move to Sturt and then suddenly get in the squad or vice versa.

It reeks of little boys club. Give some new blood a go

Mod - I knew you would remove my Dirty6ers post but please tell me you laughed at the "Pioneering" line or arent you old enough ;)

Reply #6297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sturty6ers: Yes, I got the reference.

Hoopin: I think you'll find that those players got a go because they showed potential or put up stats in the ABA, etc. Illman was averaging 20 PPG in a pretty talent-heavy line-up, and Bauer and Williams had done similar things. Forman was "given a go" after he returned from the AIS and was offered a scholarship with LMU. Gower had a stint at a US college also.

If they got a chance because their coach talked and/or was coaching with Smyth, then I think that's only decent on behalf of the coach to provide his players with opportunities. Surely any other local coach would be given chances to recommend players to Smyth or Breheny also? If they haven't, then it's hardly the fault of those players who have been recommended.

I think Benson is one of a couple in contention from Sturt to be given a run with the Academy. All clubs are to be represented, AFAIK.

Reply #6299 | Report this post

hoopin  
Years ago

I know what you are saying isaac but know one will ever convince me Gower can play at NBL level, he struggles at ABL level!

Reply #6303 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Sturty Sixers wrote: "Now I know why I didnt renew my season ticket 2 years ago and wont again til I see some changes.

Out with Phil Smyth its time for a change!!!!"

Haha. This is the 11th and 12th men you are talking about. Who aren't going to get any game time anyway.

You idiot.

Reply #6306 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

whoever thinks phil should be sacked.....oh dear!!
3 premierships in how many years...8 maybe....come on, we are the mos tsuccessful team of the past decade, why would we get rid of the coach.....der!!

Reply #6307 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

charmaine dont eat all the bait at once. The pink fish are hardest to catch ;)

DoctorE - how about your prescribe yourself to yourself

I love Phil and want to father his children. 3 titles inc one in a rebuilding year - Phil for PM

Everyone ok now

Reply #6312 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Not that I'm a fan of Wilkey, but wasn't he playing for Centrals when he was with the Sixers?? He moved to Sturt after that season and has since been removed from the Sixers training squad. So to say he was only with the Sixers because of Sturt I think is stretching it. I'd say he was training with the Sixers last season because he was the 2nd leading scorer in the ABA competition that year.

With regards to the 11th and 12th spots, I think we are forgetting that the Sixers train during the day. There might be (and are) more talented players out there, who are probably not prepared to give up there paying jobs to run around with the Sixers. Perhaps Hambour and Gower were the best of the available players (who study or have part time jobs, and are willing to train)? Just thought I would throw that out there.

I also think, as someone else stated, that the Academy will hopefully take care of the "development" side of things.

Reply #6318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil gotta go you tosser

Reply #6334 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Ah yes, very constructive.

Reply #6335 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Just stopping by for a quick hello and a What the hell do the sixers think they are up to???!!!!!!!!!!

First of all the Hamburgler should not be suiting in anything other than overalls, cos he is trash and J-will should be recording his own remix of "Ice,Ice baby!" cos he looks like vanilla ice!

Far enough to them for knowing the system and phil, but give a guy a go!!

Get someone fresh faced and with a game! Who ever said Pudd's should have been in there.....well we might as well stick with The Burgler!

Gower is a goat too!

That was fun bags you should stop by again some time!!!

Reply #6336 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Anonymous: You are a tosser!

Phil rocks!

Go sixers, but don't use your bench!

Bag my bannana!

Reply #6337 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Bags

Goog to see you are back and someone is talking some sense around here.

Great work in Melbourne your Irish Dancing would make Paul Bell proud and your chivalrous manner to the local ladies will long be remembered as one of the most disgusting displays I have ever seen :)

PS bring your bags to the Havelock tonight

Reply #6338 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

Bags, i remember that display and can quite honestly tell you i was almost physically sick.

On the up side... any innocent young ladies would love to take you home to meet mummy and daddy!

btw. Deak, Wilkey was only included in the Sixers squad after moving from centrals to Sturt.

Reply #6341 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

My money bags have holes in the them from trying to do 3 consecutive cartwheels in the middle of the Crown! Carpet burn is a terible thing!

The Havlock may be a good option for a thursday night drink! not sure though, becuase my terets is playing up again! I may dust off the tights and tap shoes for an encore performance if it settles!

Ladies love a good bagging every now and then!

Reply #6345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sick of coming on here and reading you guys bagging the development players all the time.

Obviously they are the best, and most suited players for the spots... otherwise Phil wouldnt have chosen them.

I think you guys forget that it is a professional league. The problem with the NBA at the moment is that they are bringing in too many kids based on potential, rather than weather they are good enough at the time.

I dont want to waste my money buying tickets to see some kid get a little bit of time, based on the fact that he is an average ABA player, and has had a few good ABA or U20 games.

Ok, so Gower, Hambour and Jason arent in the same field as Maher, Farley, Jacob... But they are there for a reason... to do a job.

Jason is the guy i want bringing the ball up if Maher is having a rest, not a young guy. Hambour is still young, and from what ive heard has improved a lot in a short period of time, some may even say he's "developing". And Gower might not light it up in ABA, but Phil has kept him around for 3 seasons, so im sure he fits into the team well.

I just think you guys need to stop being "couch coaches", and look beyond your dreams of a young ABA star coming up out of no-where.

Reply #6347 | Report this post

raabknowsnothing  
Years ago

raab you dont know anything mate, was playing for centrals when made the squad, went to sturt to develop but they didnt develop him only messed with him. (thats the whole sixers program isnt, dont develop just BUY)!!!!!!!

Reply #6355 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

I will be happy to tell you that Sutton, Gerlach and Benson are in the training squad when their study's have finished. They will be in the running for 11 12 and 13 next year... So they are going to be developing them in a way. All three still have the Academy as well... I think that is a great decision by the coaches... and about wilkey, after watching their games he has gone down hill cause he has his head up his ass!!! and its his fault.. The hambour and gower decision i think is good as they trained well duruing the off season. So how about you get off their backs and do it yourself.. oh thats right cause you aren't there... you guys are just jealous cause you couldn't make it yourself...

Reply #6358 | Report this post

slipper  
Years ago

Sutton slipped under the radar? havent heard much about him.

Reply #6363 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have since heard that Hambour and Gower are in the current training squad and may not be the final 11 and 12. Could be wrong, but that is the impression I got.

As a spectator, I get the impression that Gower is an aggressive defender (gets his share of steals) and would be a valuable training opponent for some members of the team.

Reply #6365 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

you are a shocker j bags....
one hilaraious dude.
where were you last night??/

Reply #6379 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Admitted that J-will is the only person that we can get our hands on at the moment to carry the ball behind Maher, but Hamburger and Gower are sitting (if actually selected) in seats that should be used to break-in rookie players! Even if it only to get then familiar with the game atmosphere.

I would feel happier if phill cut his losses! I mean The Bore and Gower are subs for players that are already on the bench. The only time they will see action is when Mrs Palmer comes home for a visit!

I didn't get much rest last night, I'm getting back in my sleeping bag!

Reply #6380 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Any ideas as to why Dan Thompson missed out??? I am guessing he would have been in the top 10 last year if he had not been injured.

This year he is fit and ready to go. He is young and could probably be developed into a decent NBL player. He is stronger and more athletic than most other players going around. Thoughts??

Reply #6381 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Charmaine, it would need to know who you are before I reveal such sorded details about my life!

Lame-max you are a goat!!!!! MMMa-a-a-a-a!! Everone knows Pochintesta would have been picked if he didn't do his Achillies!

Charmaine, Let me know where you are heading on saturday night. Maybe I can T-bag you later that evening! :-)

Reply #6382 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

J Bags... where the heck were you last night? El' Capitano is back in the game and was putting runs on the board last night, acknowledging the AlmaCG crowd after a determined half century...

Lommax, i agree re: Tommo. Give this guy a chance at NBL level.

Reply #6391 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Lommax, I agree on Dan Thompson. The guy is on track then gets injured for a season but surely should at least be given a shot to train with them. You would think this will happen soon.

Reply #6393 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

But the thing is Dan Thompson doesn't fit into Phil's rotation and his style of game... Whereas the Hamburgler and Gower both fit into his structure and offenses... Just because he can come down slam it on everyone's head doesn't mean he is the man and should be playing nbl... let go play at another club if he thinks he is that good!!

I also think that the 11 12 spot should be for either Gerlach, Benson or Sutton or even if those 3 rotated for each game so that 1 misses out each week...

What are your thoughts... and Lomax i know you love Dan and you get off over him but seriously let him go somewhere else where he can get that attention

Reply #6405 | Report this post

What ever happened to Brenton Campbell, i would rather him bring the ball up the court then Jason.
A little birdie tole me that he was told that they don't need a scoring guard???
Well, what do they need then? The rest of the team (with some exceptions) hardly scored at all last season.

Reply #6414 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Well i tell you for starters...
1) I heard that Brenton only creates for himself not others...
2) He does not have the experience of bringing the ball up against players like Darnell Mee and Rob Rose etc...
3) He is way too small for the nbl and he can't play defence...

This information i got from a very high source..

Even thought Jason Williams has done nothing but he is a great defender and he has alot of experience and height...

Reply #6420 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Who said anything about getting attention?

I just feel that there are some players that have been mentioned that have had there chance and not done anything with it!!

Yothu Im interested to hear what it takes to be an NBL player as you seem to be the expert?? What do other players have that Dan doesnt?

If you are athletic and strong you have an advantage over most other candidates.

Dan trained last season before his injury and from what ive been told was close to making the 10 before both Gower and Hambour.

Reply #6422 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Now Yothu,

Thompson is not just a dunker. He is a hard nosed physical defender. It seems to me that the difference between so many top ABL players making the NBL is their defence and / or lack of size strength to defend NBL players.

I think you been walkabout for the past years. Surely a guy that has played for the country as a U21 player and is in the 6ers squad up until been forced out with injury deserves a 2nd chance. I bet you your digereedoo he gets it if he wants it!

Reply #6423 | Report this post

What is a Goat???

Reply #6425 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Goat Manigault?

Reply #6426 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Dan should call up the Dome to get training times and then go along and ask to train with them. Worked for Illman, right?

There are a load of new players in the mix now with the Academy and it'd be easy for Dan to get overlooked after missing the ABL season.

I've only seen him play once years ago but surely he'd have to be a shot at at least the first 12?

Reply #6427 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

To the person who says I smoke weed, you look to deeply into things!

A Goat: Since before Biblical times, goats may have been the most
useful of domesticated animals, producing milk (for drinking or for
cheese), gourmet meat (cabrito), leather and fiber for clothing
(cashmere or Angora), not to be confused with Angora (rabbit) wool.
Relatively clean, they make fine pets and show animals and number
as many as 460 million in the world. They, of course, need care to keep away preditors and skillful management to prevent diseases and
internal as well as external parasites such as lice, mites, and
fleas.

Reply #6430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're also ugly things. I remember coming across one standing near my ball on a golf course as a teen. I was terrified and had to find another ball. Can't stand their eyes:

Reply #6435 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

That doesnt sound too bad??

Reply #6436 | Report this post

J Bags: What about Sea Gulls?

Reply #6438 | Report this post

Kansas City Mack  
Years ago

To all young tikes who are going to get named in the Sunday Mail.

HAVE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT YOURSELF.

Presently in front of you is:

The Termite Hambour - no one see's more pine

Gower - or Goright. There are undis covered tribes in Papua New Guinea who know which way this guy goes.

Jason Williams - Mr Gobby - c'mon how else can this guy be in the team?

I hope your all salivating at the prospect of throwing down a one hander in the warm ups at the Vili Dome.

But before you do...

Young tikes in the Academy - work your butt off all year, but while doing so have a look at the minutes these three are putting up during the year and ask yourself is it worth it??

I hope that at the Acadamy, Dinger Bell and Scott La Rock also teach you:

Night club pick up lines.
Skulling games.
How to nod at bouncers to get into clubs.
How to get drink cards at nightclubs.
Easiest ways to carry the teams luggage.
A course in towel waving.
PS2 gaming shortcuts.
How to cook a hotpot.

It might help that you do a university course by correspondence, or if your gifted like say Dr Ng you supplement your Mum's free board with playing classical piano in David Jones.

It will be hard sell me thinks this Academy when the light at the end of the tunnel is free entry into nightclubs and the ability to add a few notches on the belt.

Goodluck!

Reply #6453 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Everyone knows DT is a better player than the others in the squad. Compare them.

Reply #6460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

KC Mack, you are a funny, funny man!

The Termite!!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!
Gobby!!!!!
Hahahahahahah!
And we all know that is true!!!!!!
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

But you say that getting afew notches in the belt is a bad thing! and free and express entry to clubs is the bonus that come with being tall and saying you play with the sixers!

As for the Sea Gulls, I have no intention of refering to them! They are not amusing!
A goat is amusing! so is a ferret, termite, ardvark, and turtle!
I also like beavers!

Bags of amusing comments!

Reply #6463 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

That was me by the way!

Reply #6464 | Report this post

I know one amusing sea "gulls".

Reply #6466 | Report this post

To Yothu
Did u ever watch brenton play in ABL level? Did u ever see his high success rate of passes to other players e.g. who assisted Pero and Paul?
Assists for each game of Season:
v Nth = 2
v Sth = 7
v Sturt = 7
v Eastern = 4
v West = 8
v Southern = 7
v Norwood = 6
v Central = 8
v Woodville = 1
v Sturt = 6
v South = 7
v North = 8
v Eastern = 6
v West = 4
v Southern = 8
v Central = 5
v Norwood = 7
v Woodville = 8
(courtesy of the Forestville Eagles game box scores official stats)

So i guess that averags out to 8.5 assists per game. If im not correct, please say so.

Did u watch the All-Star game and see who was passed to Oscar most of the time and still scored a quiet 25?
As for him being small, i can assure you that he is a small but is still 6ft and who else was 6ft (oh my gosh it was Phil himself!!!)
As for him playing defence, Brenton only reached 4 fouls against Norwood(1st game), Central (1st game), 5 fouls against Norwood (2nd game), and 6 fouls against Woodville (1st game).

So much for not being able to play defence or pass the ball.

Instead of waiting for the 36ers to become old and too experienced and play for wat too long, what about 'blooding' new players and creating a generation of plateys with potential to bring champoinships.

Reply #6472 | Report this post

Mattus  
Years ago

I was just wondering how all of you guys are qualified to judge the abilities of Gower, Hambour, and Williams... against Thompson, Gerlach etc?

Care to post where your expertise in basketball has come from?

Seems you guys seem to think you know more than the 36ers coaches.

Reply #6473 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but that works out to 6 APG.

Reply #6474 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

109 assists / 18 games = 6.0555 etc

So he averaged 6.05 assists per game, on those stats. You can't average over 8 assists per game unless you have anough number over 8 ie your max has to be higher than 8 to average over 8.

Reply #6475 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

The difference is that when phil smyth was playing there were other small guards aswell in every team... In these days there are 6'4 6'5 guards who will post him up like never before... The only reason they got the ball off him is because he couldn't score himself cause he had 4 players in front of him which forced him to pass it... and get your stats right next time mate!!!!
I still believe the 3 they went with Gerlach Benson and Sutton were decisions... They can all do everything...

Reply #6486 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

All that time crunching numbers as a checkout chick coming in handy for Libertine there.

Reply #6487 | Report this post

Thankyou for correcting me people on the stats, i thought i had caluclated wrong.
Still 6 per game, not bad at all.
Lol, forced him to pass it, yeh right mate!!!
I am not saying I do not agree with the decisions that they made, I think Benson and Sutton (yes this is probably biased due to the fact they are both good friends of mine) yet I am not too sure about Gerlach. Yes he is a good player, but seems to crack a little under pressure or under scrutiny (eg All Star Game and 36ers game).
Benson and Sutton can both dribble a ball but are not players who would dribblr the ball as a guard consistantly in a game.

I am not qualified to scrutinise the coaches decisions, and neither was I doing that in my initial post.
Just didnt like the way Yothu seemed to know everything. Obviously has his favourites.
He should maybe check BC's stats before he makes comments (check his scoring average), and yes i should check my calculations.

Reply #6488 | Report this post

Years ago

Way to encourage the youth of today. Whether you agree with Williams, Hambour or Gower is irrelevant.
Actually, your right these tikes should all quit now because they have no chance of ever realising their dreams or potential! you absolute tool!!!

Reply #6501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754