anon
Years ago

Dwayne Nelson

Having just come across Dwayne a little while ago, I was wondering what peoples recollections of him as a sixer were, as he was a bit before my time as a fan?

Any thoughts?

Topic #646 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Dwayne was very much the role player much like Sapa was sans the three point shot. Dwaynes skills where his ability to get the rack hence his nick name "snake" box out players much bigger than him which allowed Pudd to get boards easier and play solid d. His jumper was in the OK region. He was never called upon to be a scorer ( look at the talent he played with) but he did his job for the team.

He is a great guy who now devotes his time to youth mentoring programmes.

Reply #6313 | Report this post

simba  
Years ago

Played taller than he actually was. Good rebounder esp offensive, never missed in the paint. Very low turnovers. Could have played more mins but for dickie knees. A great 6th/7th man.

Reply #6316 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Check out the Sixers stats in the left menu - Nelson averaged 25.9 PPG and 10.1 RPG in his first year it seems, before taking a reduced role.

Reply #6317 | Report this post

simba  
Years ago

I was mainly thinking of their championship year

Reply #6319 | Report this post

bogan boy  
Years ago

did a coaching clinic with Dwayne last holidays and have come to a conclusion that the guy is an absolute champion. knows his stuff about ball at all levels and has an amazing connection with kids. has some amazin stories to tell to if ya ever get the chance to have a conversation with him.

Reply #6356 | Report this post

Chump  
Years ago

I believe he is a PE teacher at Paralowie High. Great guy.

Reply #6458 | Report this post

BJT  
Years ago

Having had the opportunity to play with Dwayne, I would have to say he is one of the funniest guys I have ever played with. I agree, a top bloke, and if I am not mistaken, was a shoe in for the Woolacott one year but he got stabbed in the stomach and missed the rest of the season, and therefore missed out on the Woolacott. Heard this on the grapevine, can any old balls out there confirm??

Reply #6470 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

he was a hell good playa

Reply #6551 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I know that he was stabbed but do not know of the circumstances exactly i think it involved a nightclub and broken glass though.

Reply #6776 | Report this post

FRIEND  
Years ago

He works for Group 4 on the trains

Reply #6787 | Report this post

Bill Hopkins  
Years ago

I first saw Dwayne at his first training soon after NCT recruited him.

He passed me (a junior coach)in the entrance to Morphett Vale shuffled onto the court, did a couple of warmup layups and then threw down one of the biggest, most imposing dunks you'll ever see.

D was strong, he will tell you that he had hops, and as others have said, was (and is) a fantastic bloke

The stabbing certainly hurt his chances in the Woollacott. It also hurt NCT's finals campaign that year

Bill (old balls) Hopkins

Reply #7056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754