Anonymous
Years ago

So Who Is Next???

Now that Dusty has gone, who do you think is next to go from the team?

And who do you think are certain to stay?

Topic #6462 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

holmes maybe, i would like to think they will hold oscar as he is a great building block and has made big strides.

Reply #72539 | Report this post

Years ago

Don't the Sixers have an option to exercise on Jacob Holmes contract?

I would make it my number 1 priority to sign Holmes, Forman and Hill, as they are the backbone of the side for the next 5 or 6 years. Brett and Willy are under contract so they are not going any where.

Reply #72553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oscar and Jacob are presently in negotiations. Jacob has an option, yes.

Reply #72556 | Report this post

Years ago

Does Jacob get to decide if he stays or wants to leave or it is the Sixers who decided if they pick up that option? Or is it a joint discussion

Can Holmes leave this season if he wants to (and the Sixer wish to keep him)?

Reply #72558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope both Jacob and Oscar sign.. Will be a big loss if they go...
:(

Reply #72563 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's a player option, so he can just say yes to the same money if he wants, or renegotiate. I don't know much about how it all works, but I suspect that if he ignores the option and tries to negotiate once the 'two week' period is up, they could elect to not re-sign him.

Reply #72565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will be amazed if holmes is a sixer next yr. TIme for him to spread his wings and leave the 6er nest.

Reply #72569 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I think the best thing Jacob could do for his game is go to Sydney . He needs someone else to mentor him - who better than the Boomers coach ? Maybe Goorj can find a way to help him with his shot mechanics too.

As a Sixers fan , i hope he stays and gets his double doubles every week.

Reply #72604 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

When the money dries up Smyth will be gone

Reply #72607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings cleared house yesterday, and Holmes is a long time favourite of Goorjian.

Reply #72610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going by the reports on Dusty only being offered one year due to the Sixers off court situation - makes you wonder if that's all they are able to offer anyone? With a few teams being overhauled, and some big fish with big spots available, could make it tough for the Sixers to retain or recruit anyone big. They might be the Wildcats of this year, having to wait and swoop late on those that slip between the cracks.

Reply #72616 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

The sixers situatiuon will resemble Carlton in the AFL.
WE have stolen so much money from the juniors to prop up the salaries at the NBL our whole sport is in jeopardy in SA.

Reply #72618 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Luke Martin and Brad Hll as the point guards, Brett as the 2 spot and Willie to play the 3 spot with Oscar as his back up.

C Import (Melmeth) / Cooper
PF Holmes/ Nash
SF Farley/ Forman
SG Maher/ ?????
PG Martin / Hill

A Big man import (or even a Melmeth or Hinder) and Martin could be fit in.

If the Sixer can sign Ben Melmeth maybe they could look at signing a workman PF simply for a bit more muscle in the paint. Look at signing a very good ABA import (like a Shawn Redhage) whom would come on the cheap but also add value to the squad and will simply play a role ask of him (rebound, play defence and rebound)

Would the Sixer look at someone like Eric Burton from North Adelaide or a Dan Zackerjak, Rory Craddock from West Adelaide or a Chris Clausen from Centrals as that back up development guard player?

Reply #72620 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

Melmeth is a cancer to a team.
Hes not a winner.
We as water

Reply #72627 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"There are some people we are looking at," Smyth said.

"If we can bring them into the program, we will have a better team than last year."

Adelaide apparently is looking at a power forward, centre and possible backcourt relief for Brett Maher and Willie Farley.

Reply #72628 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

Aren't we all!!

Reply #72630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would the Sixer look at someone like Eric Burton from North Adelaide or a Dan Zackerjak, Rory Craddock from West Adelaide or a Chris Clausen from Centrals as that back up development guard player?"

Not for another few years. Burdon would be leading this pack but he is far from proven even at ABL level.

Reply #72634 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

If the people that matter (NBL coaches, ABA coaches and recruiting staff) can see his potential and ability to play at that level one day, why not fast track him and sit him on the bench now and have him train with the side everyday.

17-year-old kids get drafted to the AFL for that exact reason, so they can experience the environment they will have to reach.

Reply #72643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your general points are on the right track but misplaced in this case. I am sure that if they could get there hands on a 17 yr old with great potential they would. Bring in the young, ELITE kids. Burdon is a very good player but he is not ELITE.

Burdon is 21 this year, not 17. My point is he needs to prove himself. They would be looking at kids at the AIS (EG Joe Ingles) if they were to bring in 17-20 yr old.

Having said that in a few yrs, who knows. He did hit 25 in his last ABL Game.

Reply #72651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your general points are on the right track but misplaced in this case. I am sure that if they could get there hands on a 17 yr old with great potential they would. Bring in the young, ELITE kids. Burdon is a very good player but he is not ELITE.

Burdon is 21 this year, not 17. My point is he needs to prove himself. They would be looking at kids at the AIS (EG Joe Ingles) if they were to bring in 17-20 yr old.

Having said that in a few yrs, who knows. He did hit 25 in his last ABL Game.

Reply #72652 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

#72643 The big difference (appart from the obvious) between footy and b/ball is that on the b/ball court there is no where to hide. Particularly if you are a point guard.

Reply #72657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CMelmeth
FIMPORT
FKendall
GMaher
GFarley

Holmes, Cooper, Copeland, Forman, Hill, Nash

Possible?

Maybe Copeland to help Hill and Nash with the ball from the bench?
He is cheap

Kendall being released would be a good option!

Reply #72732 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

There's no way that Forman is a "building block" for the Sixers. He's a niche player with a handy 3-point stroke, but on his own he's nothing. He needs some semblance of an inside game to be considered as a vital player.

I like the guy, and I hope we keep him - I just wouldn't call him a "building block".

Reply #72748 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Why do you people keep saying Melmeth ???
He is seriously useless. The guy is a sook and only comes to play when the coaches kiss his ass - c'mon.
Hinder would be a better fit and even the bloodnut ...everstyn ??? would be better -coz at least you know what you are gonna get from night to night with that guy !!

OR

I cant see why we cant find a legit 6-9 -6'10 athlete from the NCAA that did not make the pro's over there and see what they can do.

Reply #72766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melmeth hit about 15 on the sixers last time,

however i don't think he has much of a defencive game...

but Hinder might be too expensive, with Melmeth, they can get an alright import that is PF-C like Webber or something a little cheaper plus something to relieve maher/ Farley like Kendall or Copeland or hopefully better

Reply #72771 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Copeland is well and truly past it- while I agree he would be great back up for ur huards I believe thee are too many injury issues with him at this stage of his career - as far as a forward/centre whats Paul Shirley up to? At least with him we'd get some great input in the bloqs!

Reply #72773 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Great idea Statman- i would personally campaign to get him here.

In fact , bugger it -- ill call the guy !!

Reply #72786 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

To the anonymous post above, i'm not sure if you've ever seen a Sydney Kings game but Luke Kendall is far from a forward! He's a shooting guard, so like i've said before would be a great fit to back Maher up and then take over when Maher retires or decides to step down.
To be honest i've never really been a big fan of Bobby Brannen, but I think he's almost what the Sixers need. Someone who has a bit of size about him and someone who has a big of "prick" about him. I think Phil tends to go too much for the nice guys and we tend to get beaten up and intimidated by certain teams.
Starting Five...
C- Cullen (If we can afford it)
F- Brannen
F-Holmes (If he stays!)
G-Farley
G-Maher

Bench
C- Cooper
F- Forman
F- Nash
G- Kendall
G- Hill

Obviously it's going to be tough to get all of these players and keep them under the points but we can only dream...

Reply #72837 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

"someone who has a big of "prick" about him." <--- Gees Panther, I think you have been studying that Homegirls magazine just a little too closely. :)

Like the look of the lineup - though I highly doubt we're much chance of acquiring all 3 of those guys.

Reply #72844 | Report this post

Black Cat  
Years ago

Ha ha ha... Yer i'll give you that one Hoop Addict, geez what a Freudian slip!!!

Reply #72851 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I really like the look of that line up too. I still think Cullen would suit our team. We were the only team he posted double figures with I belive this season (both games) so he knows our game. Not sure about brannen. But I dont think a bit of muscle under the hoops would hurt.

Reply #72852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd think that the 36ers stand absolutely zero chance of getting Kendall.

Reply #72858 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's my current guess:

Maher/cheapie
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Nash
Forman/cheapie
Import/Cooper

or

Import/Forman
Cooper/cheapie

I think what happens might depend on what they can bring in at PF or C. If they get a good PF, Cooper might start at C and be backed up by something cheap and young. If they can get a good C, then they'll start Oscar. As Panther has said, whoever they get needs to have some intensity and be able to intimidate other teams.

Reply #72880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

72773, Shirley is interested in playing in Australia. Hell, its gotta happen sooner or later.

Reply #75437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754