Anonymous
Years ago

Rucker dumped from Bullets

Hot off the press from NBL.com.au

Rucker and the Bullets parted. Possible Sixer?

Bullets lost:
Rucker
Egan
Copeland

Signed:
Rychart

Maybe Bullets can get even better roster with even more of a star studded team?

Topic #6484 | Report this topic

Doctor E  
Years ago

Rucker would be awesome for us at the right price.

Reply #72932 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw someone say something about the Bullets liking the look of Sedric Webber. Could be interesting.

Meanwhile, Brendan Joyce has said that he's staying with the Hawks. That leaves the Crocs coaching choice out of Ninnis and two international prospects.

Agree with Doctor E - at the right price you'd have to look at Rucker. Surely his rep and asking price would take a hit after being dropped by Brisbane? Would be the type of player that could suit Smyth - just let him go out there and get it done. But would he take a bench role?

Reply #72935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah lets grab all the injury prone castoffs....geeez

Reply #72937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoops! Wrong guard Brisbane!

Reply #72945 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

If we could contend for the title next season then yes, sign Rucker. but obviously we won't be so I would rather go with a younger player.

Reply #72964 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

He's too old and too injury prone.

Reply #72968 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

if he is cheap and would take the bench then it would be great, he has range and can run the point would let hill do more at the 2. Only on the cheap though, but that looks to be the only way we are going to get any player so who knows.

Reply #72981 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Injury prone? You have to give the guy some credit he played within 48 hours of having metal screwed to his face to keep his dome looking like Yoda.

Would be a great asset off the bench and a great asset to back up Maher who has shown the signs of age in the last few seasons.

Reply #72988 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

He would be happy with a role off the bench from what I have heard, I also see his style of game and experience suiting the way Phil coaches. Would also be agreat mentor to someone like Hill who could learn a great deal from him

Hopefully he doesnt price himself out of the market and is a ciable option us......

Reply #72993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker ????
Never have I seen a more ridiculous suggestion .
He is turning 40 this year, has never, ever accepted a role even if it was for the benefit of the team and has always commanded top dollar.
Sorry, forgot to mention he has
never won shit in his life!
I know times are tough, but lets be serious about a backup guard.
Just had a thought, what about Brendan Mann?

Reply #73008 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth remembering that he's a 10 point player though -- and I think that's why they've let him go. Looking at the points for the Bullets says that if they'd kept Rucker, they would be losing Copeland and Egan and only be allowed to replace them with essentially rookies (2-3 point players, tops) -- e.g., no second import. Even replacing Rucker with an import means that unless they drop anyone else, it's still going to be very tight - there best bet would be a college guy (3) and an unrated player (1).

Adelaide's situation is likely to be a bit easier. Assuming they have Maher, Farley, Hill, Cooper (total: 25), and keep Holmes, Forman, Nash (17), then add an import (10) that's 52. Leaves 14-17 points for the last two spots which would be more than most clubs would have left for their last two spots.

Reply #73009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points issue is something that has been an up and coming worry for the Bullets for quite a while now but my mail about Rucker is a clash of egos with the head coach with little Derek being considered a bit of a cancer.

Reply #73011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For what it's worth:

"We'll talk to Derek," 36ers coach Phil Smyth said. "He's a classy guy, a quality person and we'd want to see what he wants."

Reply #73023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac excuse my negligence but what do you mean by the point thing??

Reply #73025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you missed Isaac's point?

Reply #73051 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Doesnt Rucker get discount for being in the league for so long and is therefore capped out at a 5?

Remember DMac got better according to some when he got past 40 years of age....same is possible for Rucker.

Reply #73056 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I thought the discount only applied if 1) you are at your club of origin or 2) you'd been at your current club for over 10 years.

So if Rucker came to Adelaide, he'd be a 10, AFAIK.

Reply #73060 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rucker would be a 10, yes. If he was not a restricted player and had stayed with his original club the entire time, he'd be capped. If you're at the one club for longer than 5 years, you get a point discounted while you stay there. Longer than 10 years, and it's a 3 point discount. If you give 10 years service to a single club, you can transfer your rating to another club (e.g., Bradtke being a 7 internally at Brisbane, I think).

Adelaide is in quite a good position as long as Maher, Holmes and Forman stay - their external rating is 27, but their internal rating is just 15.

To the person who asked about the points cap - there is a dual cap system in place: salary cap and points cap. Salary cap should be a familiar concept to you. The points cap attempts to combat things like an Andrew Gaze agreeing to play cheap for the Tigers, etc. Each club is permitted x points (it was 66 in 04/05 but I think it might've been increased for 05/06 - not sure) to allocate to its ten rostered players. Imports and top-level locals are nearly always rated a 10. Rookies are 1, college grads are often a 3 in their first year, a player like Mark Nash is a 7 for 06/07. The point values were previously handled by a vote of all club coaches I think, but this coming season it's been done statistically.

Once the values have been released, players can appeal them if they disagree. Also, if a player does not have a contract late in the off-season, they can appeal on the grounds that the points system is precluding them from gaining employment and potentially get a reduction.

Reply #73064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac! I have heard of the salary cap but not the point allocation! I have played basteball all my life but am only now beginning to follow the NBL and am still a bit hazy on some things!
So thanks again for your help.

Reply #73074 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Latest rumour flying about up here today is that Heal has ben approached to lead thed Bullets on a 1+1 deal.....

Reply #73191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754