H-Bomb
Years ago

What the Sixers need to do

Sack Phil for starters, he is overpriced for the limited amount of coaching he actually does in games. Yes, he has won championships but that was with a talented playing group who fitted the system he runs and they all had good years. The players he has had the last couple years do not fit this system, hence why we have failed and Phil has not picked up on this and changed his system at all. How many 60 point losses does a team need to have in a season to realise this. Also he hasn't or cannot develop players.

So as mentioned, sack Phil and Steve and their 200k+ per year package. Bring back Scotty Ninnis and get some local coach who has a future in coaching as an assistant such as Paul Mesceke, Scott Loveday or Billy Hopkins and use the excess money to recruit players or keep the good ones we have.

Now don't tell me Phil has developed Hill, Holmes and Foreman. Hill has gone backwards, Holmes after 4 years with Phil still chucks the ball at the rim, put some air on your shot mate, you may get a soft bounce instead of it clanging of the iron 4 out of 6 times. Foreman is a tissue and has no middle game and his 3 point shooting aint putting fear into any opposition coach or player.

Also, get rid of Farley, go after a young aussie guard like Luke Kendall who can ball or some other guard coming through in oz or who is in college or get Rucker who is aussie. If that is not possible, bring Ben Osborne out of retirment and team him with Brett Maher as if it wasn't for the Sixers board not liking Mick Osborne those two would have been our back court for the last 12 years as coming out of under 20 state they were the best guard tamden in the nation by a long way.

With an aussie point we could go after a 3 and 5 or a 4 and 5, both options we haven't had for a long time. Also open your eyes Sixers to talent. Southern Tigers had Paul Pochintesta over from WA 2 years ago, the boy could shoot the rock better than anyone in the Sixers outside of Brett Maher and maybe Farley but they didn't even look at him.

Enough said............

Topic #6502 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Agree with you on one point,Ben Osborne flat out was a top five player in the best I have ever seen play.

It is a massive refelction on the peanuts in basketball to hold a grudge against his dad and punish him without a sixers gig.

Reply #73221 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

H-Bomb.....When did we have a 60 point loss?

and as for Paul Pochintesta if he is such a great player why has he not got a gig with another NBL side?

Reply #73227 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

isnt it great how every one blames the coach sure the buck stops there but maybe the players need to take some responsibility as well,

and as for hill holmes and foreman ,
im sure if you ask alot of coaches foremans 3 pts did scare the shit out of them cause he shot it at a good click, holmes sure hes shot is flat at times but hell he gets a double double nearley every game and lets not forget hes out only boomer so he cant be that bad
and hill i think is coming along nicely sure he needed more court time but he hasnt gone backwards,

i guess for some its easy to point blame at 1 or two then actually identify where it should be laid

man theres some absalute tripe appearing on here of late

Reply #73230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

H-Bomb,

You're an absolute genius and I do not know why any of the 11 NBL club has not snapped you up as there GM is unbelievable.

Champagne comedy

Reply #73231 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Ditto Thomo!!

Reply #73250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

H-Bomb,

don't blame Farley because he is american!!!

racist...

anyway, Phil is a good coach but i think you should be nicer but say: Has he past it? Who else should coach?

Not he is pathetic, a waste of money and what ever else. He did HELP to win champioships u know.

But it think Holmes has too much of a flat shot and Hill has too learn not to hog the ball. Anyone disagreeing with me, read Rycharts Blog on www.adelaide36ers.com but has some talent.

Forman, yes needs to get more of a post game but his threes have helped the team really well in close games. As with farley and Mahers jumpers.

ENOUGH said.

Ps. GO SIXERS!!!

pss. GO CROWS!!!

Reply #73293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought brad hill went backwards this season also, check out his stats on the NBL website.The big improvement is the amount of games he played!

Reply #73303 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

He had one great game this last season, that was the win against Perth in Perth in taking on Maher's role in his absence. While it was a great effort and a performance beyond his age and years in the league, I think it was more of a fluke as he would always struggle to repeat that performance. When I think of Brad Hill's game, what always comes to mind is his persistence to drive the ball to the hoop only to have the ball stolen from him by the opposition. He needs to learn when the right time is to pass on the ball and accept a back seat role until he has gained more experience. I get the impression that Adelaide is in a hurry to develop this player instead of letting him do it slowly and thoroughly. They have put all their eggs in the one basket when it comes to developing players not by giving others a good looking. Sure Hill is one of the better new players to come from the Institute but you can't expect him to take on a big role in the team without more experience.

Reply #73353 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Brad Hill's performance against Perth wasn't a fluke.

It was one of the few games this season he actually got a chance to play.

He can't play a more consistent role without playing more consistent minutes.

When he subs on and aggressively takes the ball to the basket have you stopped to think that is what Smyth and Breheney have told him to do? I'm sure if Smyth and Breheney told him to play timid, Jason Williams style basketball, and pass the ball to Maher every time he touches it he would follow the coaches commands.

Hill can't take on a bigger role and put up consistent numbers without consistent minutes.

If Hill has another season playing 5 minutes a game while Maher plays 40 minutes a game then don't be surprised if for the 3rd year in a row, Maher goes from MVP favourite at the half-way mark of the year to suffering from over-use type injuries such as calf/hamstring problems during the second half.

And don't be surprised if we see Brad Hill proving the Perth game isn't a fluke on a consistent basis but for another team a la Newley and Ingles.

Reply #73360 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

agree 100% stephon

Reply #73362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

um yeah, i agree!

Reply #73440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754