Strikes twice
Years ago

One ref

HOw come there was one ref at marion? that would be tuff to umpire Aba on your own.....

Topic #6532 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should not happen. Cant teams not play if only 1 ref? That is just not right in any ABL game.

Reply #73466 | Report this post

Strikes twice  
Years ago

I guess it would have been hard to re play the game at a later date. They should have called one of the mens refs to come earlier????

Who is responsable for this sort of stuff?

Basa?? they get the blame for everything

Reply #73467 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Powers that be made a decision or two a few weeks ago about who'd be umpiring ABA and who wouldn't.

Info came from "a Horse's mouth".

Surely at ABA level, a ref who didn't make the list could be called up to fill in???

In ABA, any two umps are better than one!

Reply #73470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know pickles housemate I hear what you are saying and I know that a lot of ref's will dissagree here but they have a duty of to the players when they go out on the court to ref a game. If they get badly hurt because we dont have player insurance any more the only thing can do is sue. That may inclued the coach, ref and basketball sa who all have a duty of care to the players. I maybe wrong and hope it never comes down to players having to do that but that is the advice I've been given by a QC. So just to put anybody on an ABA game should not be a practice I would like to see happen.

Reply #73474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry I should say that it can only happen if the judge beleaves one or more partys was neglectful in there duty of care.

Reply #73475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my guess is - someone just didn't receive the roster

Reply #73476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

load of rubbish! even if a social game has one ref, teams complain.

Thats why i never rate the ABA.

Reply #73507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody know who the ref was that didn't show?

Reply #73512 | Report this post

bloodynora  
Years ago

the ref who did the game did a pretty good job considering he was on his own; the weather and the abuse you get regardless. We were talking about it during the game and one thing at least all calls were consistent (whether correct or incorrect) and players at that level can adjust. I've seen lots worse reffing with 2 refs especially where one tries to dominate. However, I believe the ref who didn't turn up should definitely be penalised in some way. Even if he had a legitimate excuse for not being there he should have arranged a replacement

Reply #73537 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

The point i'm making is that the situation was a deliberate decision by the "ABA Panel" to only have one referee for that game.

My source told me a few weeks ago that some refs would have to do an ABA game on Saturday night and then possibly front up to another ABA game on teh Sunday, as well as some games being solo'd (?).

Reply #73548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickles be careful what you write, especially when 2 of your 3 points are wrong.

Reply #73561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pickle's housemate you are way off base and very poorly informed

Reply #73562 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

He did a good job on his own. The ref by the 4th quarter looked like he was going to pass out. Both Woodville and South benchs did not have a go at the ref's and as I think understood how hard it was to ref the game on your own. He did not ref from the mid court, except, made it baseline to baseline on every play.

Reply #73567 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Who reffed the game?

Who no-showed?

Reply #73610 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Well I could be wrong - we do live in a democracy - tell me where i stuffed up.

I made 3 points:

1 - "deliberate decision".

2 - Umpires fronting up on a sunday after a sat night game.

3 - ABL games being solo'd

Not that hard for others to indicate which are wrong, and more importantly, which one is correct.

Reply #73615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #73622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will never nor have they ever rostered just one referee to a game at ABA standard.

You have been mislead pickles housemate.

If a referee were to make a bold decision and not show up to an appointment - they wouldn't be given anymore for the rest of the season.

Referees having to officiate on Saturday and back it up on Sunday is expected and required. Would you not prefer to have your best referees available and on the court at all times? Or would you prefer to see how far the elastic stretches?

In my honest opinion - the official who missed the game didn't receive the roster. This roster is only online these days, which makes for potential accidents like this. It was his first game for the ABA season, people make mistakes.

Reply #73647 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

ok, firstly, is the cost of photocopying too high?

I agree, hopefully a ref who deliberately didnt turn up wouldn't get a game again.

I strongly believe that there should be a mentor program of referees in SA - Older ABA refs should pair up with younger refs to develop them to a high standard.

I would prefer to see a younger ref learning the game with an older ref in charge, rather than the same old faces. Just like basketball teams, refs need to be developed through experience.

Please don't think i'm complaining about the ref standard - i'm not.
I just believe that on the job training is more valuable, and the more refs experiencing ABL, the better the standard will be.

Reply #73648 | Report this post

g. shaw  
Years ago

The Ref in question did a good job on his own, my only complaint was during the game one of the men's refs asked me if I wanted him to get on court and help out (as any coach would, I said yes) however the lone ref on court said no he was fine on his own. and didn't give permission for the help to come on court. I think this situation leads to a great training opportunity, put a junior ref on the score bench to learn from the game and style of refereeing, if a ref fails to show up a mentor ref is better than no ref at all.

Reply #73662 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

The whole method of teaching ref's needs looking at.
Mentoring is the way to go.

Reply #73667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to know who the ref was

Reply #73669 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Pickles, I believe you are a little short of facts.
In the mens on the weekend the following Junior umpires were rostered to mens games and worked games with Mcdonald, Wieland and Filmer.

They were Vanessa Devlin
Alex JOrdan and Daniel Troy.

so to me it looks like they are already doing the whole mentor thing.

I watched Devlin on her game and she did a good job learning from a experience person.

Reply #73675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why crucify a ref who obviously did not receive his email and did not know he had a game

perhaps read receipts on emails for rosters would be a good thing and then if someone didn't reply a phone call would follow.

but to embarrass them on here by naming them serves no purpose

and i agree with Fresh, mentoring is already in use

Reply #73688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to know who was mentoring who at Hillcrest on Saturday night!?!

Reply #73710 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

woman or men?

Reply #73731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

men

Reply #73746 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Cant remember who was on that game but am quite sure it was either Wieland or Filmer with Dan Troy on maybe his first mens game.

Reply #73753 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Glenn's idea is a good one.

Naming the ref wouldn't achieve anything positive.

Photocopying a roster only costs 5 cents.

Fresh, are you telling me that "3 junior umpires" were rostered onto ABL games? If they are doing "the whole mentoring thing" then why aren't their more younger referees doing ABA games?

Certainly nothing against the Junior refs, but for how long as the pool been that empty?

Surely somewhere BSA has dropped the ball in terms of umpire development at the sharp end of the stick (@ ABA level and up).

I know its a tough job, i've umpired as a teenager, but just like a basketball team, umpire development is an ongoing process taht appears to have stopped somewhere in the past.

Reply #73760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can still photocopy a roster but what you have to do is ENSURE the person who is supposed to have it has it.

emails work well in this wonderful technological age however one should also ensure that all names on the roster are receiving the email.

Reply #73763 | Report this post

big but  
Years ago

Pickles housmate, you have written some silly things here. 3 junior umpires doing there first or second men's game in one weekend is more than enough....you can't have all junior umpires doing aba at the same time - surely they would be introducing them to the league gradualy as they are deemed to be ready.

also I am quite sure Alison Poulton did her first aba womans game, and there were other juniors doing girls games last weekend.

The week before it was basicly all seniors with Weeks and Tsakalos included so I guess Mr Poulton is doing a good job

And I would say that some people like yourself are simply

"mis informed"

oh and to clarify - it is normal for some umpires to back up on a sunday, but the selectors would not roster one umpire to a game so your source is wrong on that one.

Reply #73794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wasn't the hc mens game refereed by Shane and Smiley?

Reply #73804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to put things straight.
1.The referee who didn't show up did receive his appointments via email but for some reason didn't read it not thinking he was being used.

2. All ABA Referee's receive their rosters for the month via email, those without email get them in the post.

3. Only the current weeks games are posted on the web site. If there are changes to the origional rosters they are reflected here.

4. If there are changes to the rosters the refs concerned are contacted directly.

5. No decision has ever or will ever be made by the ABA Selection committee to use 1 ref on an aba game. BSA tries to avoid this for all grades.

6. Mentoring is certainly part of the program as is video review, after game evaluation, monthly training sessions. The NBL guy's and girl are required to be involved in ABA in a reffing and mentoring capacity.

7. People who post on this site should really have a clue before they make outrages statements.

Reply #73811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perhaps when the other referee didnt show up half an hour before the game when they are meant to a phone call should have been made

Reply #73877 | Report this post

Big But  
Years ago

looking on this weeks sarefs site, there looks to be less rookies used but mentoring is still the go:

Weeks mentoring Wieland
Mcdonald mentoring Gibson
Durant mentoring Poulton

18-Mar-06 Sat DH Dome 18:30 ABAW Woodville Warriors Sturt Sabres DTroy LSmith

18-Mar-06 Sat DH Dome 20:15 ABAM Woodville Warriors Sturt Sabres GWeeks NWieland

18-Mar-06 Sat Hillcrest 18:30 ABAW North Adelaide Rockets Norwood Flames SRivett AJordan

18-Mar-06 Sat Hillcrest 20:15 ABAM North Adelaide Rockets Norwood Flames NBridgeman PWelbourn

18-Mar-06 Sat Mt. Barker 18:30 ABAW Eastern Mavericks Southern Tigers MHarvey JWilliams

18-Mar-06 Sat Mt. Barker 20:15 ABAM Eastern Mavericks Southern Tigers BMcDonald MGibson

18-Mar-06 Sat Starplex 18:30 ABAW Central District Lions West Adelaide Bearcats MPepicelli VDevlin

18-Mar-06 Sat Starplex 20:15 ABAM Central District Lions West Adelaide Bearcats AFilmer AJust

18-Mar-06 Sat Wayville 18:30 ABAW Forestville Eagles South Adelaide Panthers NDurant APoulton

18-Mar-06 Sat Wayville 20:15 ABAM Forestville Eagles South Adelaide Panthers WMaidment DHughes

Reply #73878 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Big But did the right thing.

All the ref's read Hoops SA so just post it on here and everyone will turn up!

Reply #73886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only trouble is rite and big but
I know that there is one change on that roster already

Reply #73892 | Report this post

Big But  
Years ago

Attn Mr Poulton - you now need to post all changes on Hoops Sa - come on get with the system

ha ha ha ha

Reply #73900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754