Australia 4 for 434 v South Africa - new WR

Not a basketball topic, and I must admit I'm only a semi-casual cricket fan, but a world record is a world record, and sporting history is worth mentioning in any forum.

The Aussies have stuck it right up South African captain Graeme Smith by posting the highest ever score in one-day cricket = Aus 4 for 434 off 50 overs. Ponting top-scored with 164 off 105 balls with 9 sixes, an innings already being touted as the greatest in one-day cricket history. Hussey 81 (51 balls) gave great support.

Go Aussies.

Topic #6535 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A huge 42 fours and 14 sixes for the innings!! Suck That smith !!

Reply #73491 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Holy SH!!. That is massive.. time to crack out the Ricky Ponting cricket and replicate that effort :-) Go Aussies.

Reply #73506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: Australia 4 for 434 v South Africa - new WR (#73491)
A huge 42 fours and 14 sixes for the innings!! Suck That smith !!

Anonymous, 12/03/06

LOL I take it you're eating your words. SA just won 9/438 with 1 ball and 1 wicket remaining.

Awesome game and awesome fight back by SA. Doing the what was thought to be impossible.

Now someone needs to wonder why Lewis was bought in to bowl in the 47th over when SA needed 30 off 18 and he got hit for 17 that over which bought it to 13 off 12. Lee had better figures and still had 3 overs remaining at that point.

Reply #73509 | Report this post

Well, I'll be buggered. I'm definitely eating MY words, but then usually (as in every single occasion in history before today) you're pretty safe defending 430-plus!!!!!!

Well done, great chase by the South Africans. Anon, I agree, Mick Lewis is a hack at the best of times - useful at club and state level but well below international class. Why the hell was he bowling all those overs at the death when Brett Lee and Stuart Clark were available, had overs to spare, and weren't getting carted around at 12 an over.

Sometimes stats hide what really happened, but not in Lewis's case - he bowled tripe, Ponting had too much faith in him (WTF!!!???) and the Aussies lost the plot.

Reply #73511 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

And then the champs, oops, sorry chumps then go and lose it... WTF

Reply #73514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AUSTRALIA MASSIVE RECORD TAKE THAT SMITH!

OH GOD NO!

SA hit 439!!!!!!!

HOW COULD U LOSE IT??????

AUSTRALIA, BOWLERS MUST OF PLAYED LIKE THE WINDIES!

Reply #73516 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Sounds like one of the great games of all time. Need to fid Foxtel to see the highlights.

Reply #73521 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

mick lewis was slapped for 113 runs of 10 cant work out why hes still there 4 matches ago he got slapped for 98 of 8

Reply #73526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's been happening with the Australian side? A lot of new names that I don't recognise and who underperform. Are they not taking the tour seriously?

Reply #73533 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

problem has consitantly been Hohns he favours certain factions within the cricketing community, should have heard the server he got by fellow selector hughes basically saying even though they agreed on a certain bowling squad because hohns has the final say as the head selector he basically dismisses the other selectors input

Reply #73536 | Report this post

That was an absolute disgrace to watch (even though it was pretty exciting). How can you not successfully defend such a massive total? Lewis is an absolute joke, and I can't see how they could possibly justify having a hack like him playing instead of Gillespie, who can actually bowl. And what sort of stupid captain would bowl Lewis instead of Lee in the 47th over? It's time the selectors stopped their eastern states bias and gave S.A. players a go. Even if Gillespie were still to be overlooked, why not give Rofe a go? Surely his line and length style bowling and height could make him a potential heir to McGrath's throne?

Reply #73552 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Gibbs on 130, Nathan Bracken at mid-off dropped a sitter off a Lewis full-toss... - Gibbs made 175.

There is a lot to be said about Lewis being in the team, but overall i think the whole game was just a freak occurence.

Reply #73553 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Look I am an SA person and agree that more SA players should be there but saying that you can't defend 435 is not fair. Just remember that Aus made the score so there is no reason the other team can not make it. I agree with pickles on this occasion sayihg it was a freak occurance. In saying that, the 20 20 games have been having big numbers, so it was a matter of time before a score was put up like this. Who would have thought it would have been put twice in one game!

Reply #73574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE HIGHEST EVER ONE DAY SCORE!!!

Then it got BEATEN!!!

The WORLD'S BEST CRICKET TEAM can't even defend 435!

Un-freakin'-believable!!!
sorry Issac...

1 they must of scored a six in the second to last ball.

HOW DO U LET THEM DO THAT???

We've lost now....

Let's leave it as that.

If Gillespie was in Aussies would have one.

Reply #73611 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I'm quite glad the aussies got beaten. Cricket can get bloody boring when australia win by 159 runs (again)

It's good for the competition i think.

Reply #73671 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

They lost the series 3-2 so how can you say it is boring when they win all the time.

Reply #73681 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

To Spansh Inquisition

"It's time the selectors stopped their eastern states bias and gave S.A. players a go"

I agree with you here, but......how many Victorians were in that side?

I bet you would find more NSW and QLD players

The Australian selectors are fools.....shit, when you pick Martyn over Hodge for the Test Matches

The One Day loss was the best thing to ever happen

I stayed up till 3.00am watching it on Fox Sports......was the best game i will probably EVER witness

Reply #73774 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754