Yothu
Years ago

Academy Squad

Does anyone have anynews on the squad yet???
What is everyone's predictions??
Show me some predictions onthe 16 man squad..
1) Brenton Campell
2)Adam Benson
3)Brad Gerlach
4)Matt Sutton
5)Micheal Zorich
6)Brad Bungey
7)Ben Evans
8)Nick Hambour
9)Marcus Ng
10)Jarred Graves
11)Adam Blight
12)Tom Mackenzie
13)Clausen
14)Naskinscki (Norwood)
15)Erik Burdon
16)Josh Wood

Those will be the 16 i reckon

Topic #655 | Report this topic

deak  
Years ago

What's the age limit? Is it "U23" or "23 and under"?

If it's 23 and under, does Pudds qualify?

Who they hell is Naskinscki?

I like your list, though it looks like it'll be a pretty small group doesn't it.

Reply #6428 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Nasinski is Ash Nitschke or Big Country as some like to call him. Nasinski will give them some height hes about 6foot8.

Reply #6429 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Just heard that the Academy Squad will be published in the Sunday Mail... lets see how close i was to the squad....

Reply #6446 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Does anyone know what uniforms they will be wearing and what colour will they be???
and have they announced their major sponsor, i heard it was The Grand!!

Reply #6447 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Sunday Mail...pfft...a free coke at Coles says its posted on here first ;)

Reply #6454 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

What's the program? How many times do they train, do they get paid, do they play as a team? Where do they train, what coaches are involved? It seems to be a little light on information.

Reply #6467 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're trying to organise training times to be convenient for as many players as possible. I don't think they would get paid (I don't think you get paid at the AIS, right?). The coaches would likely be Bell, Ninnis and Castle or something like that. I believe that a lot of this information has been previously posted.

Reply #6469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As previously mentioned (on numerous occasions...), the Academy will consist of 2 team training sessions a week plus individual sessions, times for which will be worked out when the team meets on Wednesday evening.
I have heard a few people say now that players have to pay to be a part of Academy. Can I say right here and now that categorically NO ACADEMY MEMBER HAS TO PAY TO BE A PART OF ACADEMY.
Yes, we are sourcing sponsors but that is because the Program has to be self funded.
Funding is derived from a major sponsor, club contribution,and individual sponsors.
Players may be asked to provide possible leads for individual sponsorship but Scott and I will be approaching these sponsors on behalf of the players.
As far as structure of the Academy goes, Scott Ninnis is Head Coach and will utilise the resources of other coaches when applicable.
My role is that of General Manager which involves assistance in administrative set up of Academy, sourcing sponsors etc.

Regards

Paul Bell

Reply #6479 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

So what do people think of the squad, one name I noticed missing was J Graves?

Reply #6676 | Report this post

Diesel  
Years ago

Where is the Hoban representation - I think both the boys should be round the mark considering some of the names on the list. Thoughts?

Reply #6677 | Report this post

hoopin  
Years ago

who would the hoban boys push out??
Gravies shin splints may have been a factor. Maybe he didn't have the time?

Reply #6678 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

far out,
no hoban....oh my god, who would they replace. well considering it is meant to be a breeding place for the nbl, i will run through the players that have little to no chance of playing nbl, whereas both hobans would surely be worth a spot in the 16...especially pete who is still growing....
puddifoot, sullivan, mckenzie, blight, benson, evans....i am sorry mr ninnis and bell, but in my opinion you have not picked a squad to serve your so called purpose.

Reply #6679 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

having said that, i think the inclusion of a few of the young prospering big men is a plus.

Reply #6680 | Report this post

hoopin  
Years ago

The younger Hoban played little or no minutes in ABL this year and has another 5 years to make the squad and I saw the older Hoban against South twice this year and he was killed both times. With all due respect to the Hoban boys I don't think they did enough last ABL season to warrant a spot in the academy

Reply #6681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopin, I too was there at both of those South games and older Hoban was quicker, more agile than both of their bigs and scared the pants out of Kent and his turn around travelling jumpshot. Blight is another story, good match up equalled each other on the rebounds, Blight did have a good year, Hobo has improved and looks a little lighter too

Reply #6682 | Report this post

x-factor  
Years ago

Pete Hoban is twice as good as that big bloke from Norwood. They played against each other in a reserves final last week and it was obvious who won that litle battle.

Reply #6683 | Report this post

ShutUp  
Years ago

Could it having anything to do with, especially in Peter Hoban's case that Forestville already have Sullivan, Sutton & Campbell in the Academy squad.

I'm not sure but I think the ABL Coaches were asked to nominate their players for this squad, so may be the Coaches didn't nominate those two.

Reply #6689 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

There had to be a representation from each club, right?

Reply #6696 | Report this post

Diesel  
Years ago

Well I have seen Luke destroy notables such as Truslove, Pero etc and Pete is a star in the making.

They both have bright futures and some forget that Luke is only just 22 with 5 ABL seasons under his belt and Pete is obv sitting behind a lot of quality Fville bigs.

Big men need time to develop but either way I am tipping huge seasons from both of them

Reply #6698 | Report this post

hoopin  
Years ago

Puddifoot, Evans and Sullivan are the only players in the squad 22 years or older

Reply #6700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the 2nd coach?

Any ideas?

Reply #6719 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

I reiterate my previous sincere compliments and enthusiasm for this brilliant venture, but I am yet to see precisley who and what the Academy is viz:

Everything written about the Academy gives the implied perception and impression that IT IS BASA's and/or run under the auspices of BASA's LEGAL umbrella, control or authority. BUT is not the Academy a privately run, free- enterprise venture/company owned by Scott N, Paul B and/or others?? What is BASA giving away, donating or funding as the 36ers are deemed the beneficiaries?

I eluded to this in an earlier post, trying to understand exactly WHY sponsors were needed, what funds were required for, and if BASA or the clubs needed to spend or donate money and/or court time hire etc. The issues of players training, and possible injury and insurances were also sought so people understand these issues.

Hope someone would clarify into black and white and remove the grey.

Reply #6886 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

I heard last night, from a pretty reliable source, that Rick Castle is the 2nd Academy coach.

Reply #6941 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Who is doing the individuals will there be a fitness coach or will it just be Scott and Rick

Reply #6945 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Sounded like Scott and Rick will be driving most of the on-court stuff, with them bringing in other coaches to help out where they can.

Don't know about the fitness / strength / conditioning side.

Reply #6954 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

From the reliable source i heard that Ninnis is head coach and Rick Castle is Assistant. They will be getting a personal trainer from the norwood club who will be doing the strength and conditioning for the boys. The Grand has sponsored the team and Paul Bell is the General Manager/Player Agent.
Good Luck guys!!!!

Reply #7073 | Report this post

The Real Informer  
Years ago

Informer

I see that you have decided to use this name all over the place so I will change mine.

Reply #7081 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

So, any news lately?

Reply #7736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754