Spectator
Years ago

Lions Coach needs lesson in subbing

I watched the Lions women play on Saturday night against Sturt, who obviously out gunned them in all areas of the game, however, I fail to see how a team can bring about success when it does not use its bench. Looking at the stats today, I see that 4 players played almost all the game and the 5th player the majority, with all 4 players in foul trouble. Why not use some of the bench players who would be fresh and allow the other players to catch their breath, A low shooting percentage is reflective of players being tired not necessarily unfit. To make no subs in the last quarter except for one in the last minute (after the crowd was shouting out for her to come on - the only minute she played), shows a lack of confidence in their bench players and makes it easier for other teams to defend as Centrals women were too tired (and too scared to commit their 5th foul)to play either offence or defence.
Well done to the lions women winning against Woodville, but I think this will be the only team they will be victorious against this year, if they are just relying on 5 players to play all (well most) minutes.
Most successful teams utilise 7 to 8 players not 5 and its a happy day when all players hit the court and register a score.

Topic #6554 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be that the bench players have no game. And considering they won their first game in 6 years she must be doing something right.

Reply #73711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We didn't hear any complants from the win the other week. So why now?

Reply #73725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A weeks a LOOOOOONG time in basketball!!!

First of all, congrats to the coach (and the girls) for their first win in years! How someone could come on here and complain about him is unbelievable - it is probably the LEAST sought after job in ABA and whilst they still are a fair way behind Sturt - they are the most competitive Centrals bunch I've ever encountered in my few years in seniors. The girls played HARD (...and as a result fouled a lot).

The two players recruited in add a lot, and Shay did lots of "Shay things" (banged, got boards, fouled and missed 3s). They were down one starter from the win (testing their depth even further) and are probably still at least one tall away from being right there - but they are going the right way. Good luck to them.

Reply #73732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude the coach is a women not a him! But well said.

Reply #73738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so jus stop at the women dude Y not complain bout the men 2????

Reply #73741 | Report this post

management_act  
Years ago

The coach on saturday night against sturt was definately a bloke. He seemed a bot of an old grump and gave a bit of stick to the umpires. Though I thought it quite funny when during a time out he swung his chair around to "sit" and talk to his team.

Reply #73747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dude the coach is a women not a him! But well said. "

No kidding?? My mistake! There was a bloke and a girl on their bench - must admit I thought it was the guy who was coaching, only because he chewed the ref out a little and talked to them during a timeout.
Apologies..

Reply #73748 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So who is the womens coach?

Reply #73749 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Kylie Taylor.

Reply #73761 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

Kylie Taylor Coach
Allan Mullins Asst Coach
Lions Women

Ricky Simpson Coach
Scott Whitmore Asst Coach
Dan Clausen Asst Coach

Lions Men

the head coach for the women is def a woman

Reply #73762 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

maybe kylie should start coaching then and Mullins go and let the real players get on with it!!!!

Reply #73812 | Report this post

muffintop  
Years ago

let the real players get on with it?? what does that mean anon?

Reply #73821 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

safe to say certain players only getting court time through family connections!!!

Reply #73898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or....

safe to say people who would not even get a reserves game at other clubs, expect to play minutes in Centrals ABA team.

Reply #73899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ouch! is there a touch of jealousy there? perhaps anon is a spectator of the player that only got 1 min?

Reply #73902 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

not at all just dont like nepatisim or wasted talent!

Reply #73904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who exactly are you talking about anon? im sure if there was any talent at centrals they would be on the court, its not like they dont need the talent..or could afford not to put them on if they were 'talented'

Reply #73907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

again anon,

who exactly do they have that is on the bench that would get a reserves game for another club?

Reply #73911 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

I didn't know that Kylie had any family connections in the Womens' program!

Reply #73959 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

look harder!

Reply #73960 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Lippy,

Try the asst coach rather than Kylie, and you will see the family connection I assume anon is referring to.

Reply #73963 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

another disgruntled ex-player......

Reply #73967 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Lippy, I hope you weren't referring to me, because if you were you are way off the mark. I have no opinion whatsoever, just pointing it out because you seemed confused about what anon was on about.

Reply #73983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754