Isaac
Years ago

NH - Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony

What did everyone think of the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony?

I think they should introduce a new event - AFL captains walking slowly down the Yarra. Zzz.

Kept an eye out for Jacob Holmes as the Australians entered the stadium, but didn't spot him. Did see Ronaldson clowning around though, and they showed Snell, Jackson, Phillips and Summerton a few times.

Topic #6577 | Report this topic

patts  
Years ago

I thought overall it wasnt bad, the flying tram was a waste of money though. i thought Delta Goodrem with the people spraying sparks of fire and the fireworks were good.

they showed the basketballers quite a few times actually, Lauren Jackson stood out with how tall she is.

Now lets let the games begin!!

Reply #73994 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I personally thought it was ordinary but opening ceremonies are not my thing. That AFL captains thing was quite weird wasn't it!!!

Ricuttio was also wearing last years jumper

Reply #73996 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

I thought it was great, but then again, i was there!

I don't think they televised the first bit, but at about 7.30 vic time, they had just that massive white dome, with a green strip of carpet in the middle, and two garbo bins at either end. The vic bushrangers (i think) with Max Walker, Simon O'Donnell playing 'backyard' cricket with Mickey Robbins commentating.
Quite funny.

Didn't see much of the AFL captains on the yarra, but i couldn't beleive how packed the banks of the yarra was!

The atmosphere was electric in the stadium, its feels like a massive bowl now the new stand is finished.

Reply #73999 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

oh, i also thought i saw Paul Rogers right at the back of the australian team.

Didn't think he would be in the boomers squad...

although it could've been someone else.

Reply #74001 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

I would love to know the 'true' crowd number. Quite a few of the camera angles showed a lot of empty seats.

Reply #74003 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The only thing missing from the parade was Eddie Mcguire......

Reply #74004 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Yeah, eddie should have been involved... duet with delta would have been ok...

Reply #74011 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Thought they would have flown Shane Heal across the stadium in place of the tram, being the Aussie legend he is!

Reply #74031 | Report this post

h  
Years ago

i thought the opening ceremony was embarassing,,, delta was hot tho

Reply #74045 | Report this post

PUNTER  
Years ago

Very ordinary I thought. A lot of people there and watching on TV have said they found it hard to work out the meaning of different things and found the story line hard to follow.

Reply #74071 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

While I didnt realise there was actually a strong theme that tied everything together (I should have bought a program), it would have to go down as one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had being there.

My highlights would have to have been the fireworks on the roller skaters, and Delta singing. Delta was in one of the super boxes as we were all walkingto out seats (in uniform) and she gave us a massive smile and wave. Also spotted Eric Bana in a super box behind us as well.

Seeing the Aussies come in to the stadium, and just hearing the roar was unbeleivable, and I found myself struggling to beleive I am actually here and participating in this awesome event.

I had my first game last night, working on the Aust vs India womens game, and I have a day off today before heading off to Ballarat tomorrow.

Reply #74100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754