olskoolgamer
Years ago

Funny Newley to nominate for NBA

Not sure if it has been discussed before, but Newley says he will nominate for the NBA draft this year, and start working out with NBA clubs:

BRAD Newley - one Australia's hottest prospects in the shooting guard spot since Andrew Gaze - has revealed he's going to nominate for the NBA draft in July.
Newley to nominate for NBA
In a bid to boost his chances of getting selected in the draft, the 21-year-old phenomenon who showcased his skills in the Boomers' 103-57 win over Nigeria in Bendigo last night will set up a training base in the United States shortly after the Commonwealth Games.

Once Newley finalises an agent to represent him, several private individual workouts will be arranged with the NBA teams that are showing considerable interest in the 199cm athletic backcourt rising star.

"At the moment I intend to nominate for the draft," Newley said. "I'm probably going to go over to the States in late April, early May to work out for a few particular teams.

"I can't really say who yet because nothing is concrete and I have to really decide on who I want to be my agent first.
What does everyone think, can he make it? And if so, how good a player will he be in the NBA?

Topic #6624 | Report this topic

Joe M  
Years ago

Earily to mid second round is a huge possibility and if he has a few good works out and meet the team's criteria he could raise as high as late first round.

No chance he will go in the top 15 but could sneak in between 25 and 30 if not low 40's

Reply #74472 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Hoops Hype was saying a couple of months ago he will be Top 20 if he can show some Defensive skills.

They like his athleticism and confidence with the ball.

I'd say he'll go in the 30's . There are a lot of good shooting guards that are going to clog up the middle of the first round.

Reply #74475 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I know someone whos a mates of Newleys dad, apparently 6 teams are intrested... among them are the caveliers, 76ers, boston and the LA clippers.

Reply #74480 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think he'll go late second round if he's lucky. IMO he needs more consistency on his 3 point shot, and add another 3 feet and then get that consistent. Also he needs to add a considerable amount more size to his frame, considering he'd be guarding the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Pierce, Joe Johnson at that position, just to name a few. They're all much, much bigger than he is in terms of muscle. He is definitely the best player I've seen at his age in Aus by a fair way, but I feel he MAY be being a little bit adventurous in trying for the NBA just yet. I haven't seen him play an awful lot though, so I might be wrong... good luck to him though.

Reply #74481 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Better for him to go for it now, get on a bench somewhere and get the professional trainig and honing that is required to become what is needed for the NBA, than keep running around and being a star in the NBL purerly for his athletiscism and not realy advantage his game all that much, some tough years ahead for the young fella but for the better if he sticks with it.

Reply #74499 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sort of agree with you DJ. Go now while his stock is on the increase. I wouldn't want him to sit on a bench and watch.

He would be better off going in the second round and then being sent to the D League to gain that experience.

He would be worth a mid to late 2nd rounder based on today. Give him some rookie camps etc etc and he'll go higher...

Reply #74590 | Report this post

He's not a good defender. or a consistent 3 ball shooter. Everyone is an athletic 6'6 shooter in America. Why they would go for newley is a bit beyond me.

But good luck to him though. I guarded him once.

Reply #74605 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Go for your dream.

If he doesn't go to the any of the pre-draft camps, Portsmith, Chicago and the other, then he would have got a guarentee from a club and as such will go first round. If he goes to the above (camps)then he is trying to impress and work his way into the first round.

At the moment he is upper second round with Clippers and San Antonio (Brown Goorj connection) as the front runners. He is viewed as Manu Gin. type player ie drive the lanes with good handles.

Needs another 10KGs and a better defencive game, but then again Detroit and SA about the only teams having any semblance of D.

Reply #74607 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

As if Phoenix and Dallas dont make your list of D orientated teams ..

HA ha ha ..

Reply #74618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said somewhere that a Denver Nuggets scout was talking to him after the game on the weekend at Bendigo

Reply #74638 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

he will be in at the most top 25 or 30... come on he's way ahead of anstey & he got picked from memory in top 20.. give the boy some time. Its best to get in while you have a chance. We don't want him to do a simon dwight & say i'm not ready yet..then miss out altogether. This in time will be a regular occurence for aussie players headin to the big smoke. Get used to it..

Reply #75066 | Report this post

I know this is a late post, but, saying Newley is way ahead of Anstey is stupid. Anstey has something newley will never have: height. Drafting a 7 footer and drafting a 6'6'er is 2 completely different things.

Reply #76457 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754