Fresh
Years ago

3 Seconds in ABA?

Most will note that this call is very rarely called in the ABA.

There was a discussion recently about advantage dis advantage in the game.

Question is with this call, does this create a unfair advantage for the taller teams who camp in the key.

Coaches often scream for it to be called but I don't think they are on the same page as the umpires on this one.

How does this call get interpreted by the umpires?

It is obviously not a case of 1,2,3 and they blow the whistle.

Topic #6636 | Report this topic

Izzy  
Years ago

Ummm yeah...I would say it creates an unfair advantage if taller teams camp in the key. Advantage/disadvantage is code for I can't be bothered watching out for that as well. It's simple...it's a rule so call it. It's the same if the ball goes out of court..call it!

Reply #74588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umps definately miss 3 second calls a hell of a lot... but i understand as a player that they have more important things to be looking at as the game is going on... like the on ball stuff, and screens off the ball... so it would be hard for them to watch the keyway and who is in it all the time.

Reply #74596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the question is if a player is in the key then more than likely he/she draws the attention of a defender therefore I feel that this is a disadvantage to the defending team and 3 seconds should be called. I do think they should go back to the old 3 seconds is 3 seconds call and be done with the advantage rule for this call specifically.

Reply #74599 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Any Aba refs know what the actual interpretation is?

I do think it would be true that they simply dont call it because there are other calls which are more important???

I think it is more a case of it only gets called if the ball is being passed to the player who is standing in the key

Reply #74606 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think a lot of people forget the rule states the player must be in the key for MORE THAN 3 seconds, so it's not a case of 1-2-3 bang.

Some also forget that the 3 second count doesn't start until the ball in in bounded from an out of bounds situation.

As far as actually making the call goes, I think refs want to know that the dude camping in there is definitely advantaging the offensive side. It's one thing to be taking up space in there, but if they're not scoring, screening for team mates or getting on the offensive glass, then they're really probably advantaging the defense, since it's clogging up space in the key.

I'd say it's definitely a low priority call for the referees, and is generally pretty easily solved by communicating with the player.

Unfortunately, a lot of "sideline referees" just see someone with a toe in the keyway for 3 seconds & want a call made.

Reply #74609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the recent discussions on advantage/disadvantage , 3 sec rule, carrying, travel etc I think we need to refer to any rule book as a guideline book - if you want to call something you can if it conforms with these guidelines but it is at your discretion. If everyone knew it was rafferty's rules then there would be less complaints about the refs!

Reply #74611 | Report this post

james coburn  
Years ago

omg!!!
as a referee do you really think we should be focusing on 3 seconds, or would you rather us worry about the real stuff like fouls under the basket or illegal screens.
i can tell you if we miss something big, like massive contact on a shooter, 3 seconds pales in comparison.

Reply #74620 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

omg!!!
Do you really think basketball has changed so much in 5 years that you shouldn't focus on all the rules? Or would we rather you worry about the other rules like fouls under the basket or illegal screens.
I can tell you if you miss something big or small, it matters to the players, coaches and spectators who pay money to see real basketball, with all the rules like massive contact on a shooter, 3 seconds and Pales at the Bar!

3 seconds used to be called in ABA/State league, why is it harder to call it now, compared with back then?

5-10 years ago, basketball was more physical, yet the 3 seconds call was still made. Don't turn ABA into a NBA scorefest - keep it about honest defence and don't reward poor offence. Just cos some bastards too dumb to count to 3, doesn't mean he deserves pity - his coach should teach him to count!!!

Arggh!!!

Reply #74626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you ever want to really piss off a referee, ask for a 3 second call. I guarantee, 99% of refs will ignore requests for 3 second calls from players, coaches and spectators.

You'll notice they are called when a played has camped and

a) shot goes up (advantage of rebounding position)
b) player receives ball and doesn't shoot straight away

And it's "more than 3 seconds", which if you actually look at a watch, is a long time.

Most players who scream for 3 seconds do it as it's too late to call for help on defence and they need to be bailed out for messing up.

Reply #74631 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Want three seconds called, try educating your players and being a little bit more proactive. 'Who is on number 14, someone get on him' will get my attention as a referee a lot more than 'how long how long'. Every time someone asks how long I make sure I look away from the keyway and then look back, hence I have to start counting again.

Australias better coaching staff are saying it is about 6 - 7 seconds before something should be done. 3 seconds is very weak call in the modern game unless you have already tried to move the player on with your voice.

Reply #74643 | Report this post

heybenny  
Years ago

Instead of getting defensive and making excuses just call the three seconds for small teams its a disadvantage so if their camped in their just call the thing. Stop dodging the rule and just call it if there in their for a long time. As for umpires not calling it if people asked for it are you telling me that umpires would be that petty to not call something because they were annoyed with the sideline. No way im so surprised.

Reply #74648 | Report this post

Umpire  
Years ago

One umpire a few years ago had the female coach scream " How Long "
so the umpy replied " Oh about 6 inches "

Reply #74678 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

no! really...? Trevor Sayer used that one when he umpired in 1954 Melbourne Olympics. :P

Reply #74759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found this on the wonderful thing called the internet:

Art. 26 Three seconds

A player shall not remain in the opponents restricted area for more than three (3) consecutive seconds while the team is in control of a live ball in the frontcourt and the game clock is running.

Allowances must be made for a player who:

- Makes an attempt to leave the restricted area.
- Is in the restricted area when he or his team-mate is in the act of shooting and the ball is leaving or has just left the players hand(s)on the shot for a field goal.
- Dribbles in the restricted area to shoot for a field goal after having been there for less than three (3) seconds.

To establish himself outside the restricted area, the player must place both feet on the floor outside the restricted area.

This then confirms the fact that 3 seconds does not start until the ball has either touched the floor or another player in the front court, so a player can "camp" there if they intend to if the ball is being passed in from the back court.
Hope the definitions help the discussion.

Whilst looking, I found some amendments from last year some of you may be interested in:

If a request for a time out or substitution is made before the ball is at the disposal of a player for a throw in follwing ther free throw (s), the time out or substitution shall be granted for both teams if the last or only free throw is successful.

If a free throw (s) is followed by a throw in at the centre line extended, opposite the scorer's table, the time out or substitution shall be granted after the last free throw for both teams, whether the free throw is successful or not.

During the last two (2) minutes of the fourth (4th) period or each extra period, if a time out is granted:

- to the non scoring team after a valid field goal
- to the team that has been awarded possession of the ball in its back court,
the throw-in, following the time out, shall be administered at the centre line extended, opposite the scorer's table. The player taking the throw in shall be entitled to pass the ball to a team mate at any place on the playing court.

I definately like the last one!

Reply #74767 | Report this post

Umpire  
Years ago

So the reason it very rarely get's called is because the count starts when ball is in front court and if the ball is passed to a player in the key, he is entitled to have extra time to bounce the ball or go staight up.

Better of just talking to the players and letting them know to get out.

Reply #74768 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

so its ok to call three seconds if a player is in the key, has been in for exactly 3 seconds when someone shoots a three.

seeing as he now has an offensive rebounding advantage and has been in for more than 3 seconds, even though a shot has been put up?

Reply #74796 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

As for VC Fan, no because you the player who is in the act of shooting as the 3 seconds comes up, therefore the 2nd allowance overalls. Intent of the rule is to prevent man mountain not moving at all.

If the ball comes off the ring of a 3 point attempt I believe you are at a disadvantage by being in the key. The ball normally springs off to around the keyway line markings.

What do you do to the big guy in offence who goes to cut thru the key, gets a bump as hey enters the key (therefore he wastes 1 second getting back to where he should be cutting), then looks around for the ball (another bump, another 1 sec wasted). He is been in there now for 4 seconds! Do we call the 2 seconds because he is gaining an advantage or do we call the foul for the worlds smallest bump, which in effect has disadvantaged the offence by now making him use up his 3 seconds in the key or do we call the 3 seconds?

My call: We call nothing, we get our voice on the inside players, they both know they are being watched and therefore they hopefully put up a good fair contest against each other. A little bit of give in the nothing contact that occurs, a little bit of give in how long. End result, good flow, good game control, and most importantly GREAT CONTEST.

Reply #75548 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

*over rules*

Reply #75549 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754