Jay
Years ago

New South Coach?

One of these to coach South. Don Shipway my contact says he turned it down....unsure, Scott Ninnis may return but possibly he has turned it down, Al Green not yet confirmed as West coach. Sapwell is the dark horse!

Topic #667 | Report this topic

deak  
Years ago

I doubt any of names those will be doing it

Reply #6533 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Sorry, I doubt any of THOSE names will be doing it. I'm sure who ever does it will, in fact, have a name.

Reply #6534 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i heard from a very reliablev souce that don shipway is coaching at south. 95% sure

Reply #6537 | Report this post

Tibor  
Years ago

Sapwell to Norwood?

Reply #6573 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Tibor you are on the ball.

Sapwell to Norwood has been announced on Norwood's website.

Reply #6575 | Report this post

mole;  
Years ago

don took the jnr coach al's concidering the south but like some of us who have been and seen a lot of
things that are not liked on the south management ie; in fighting, lack of local knowledge of what's happening at court leval,south has a long hard rd back from the mess scanlon left behind,al's the key he is the only one who like don has the respect to put a team back together,BUT!!!! my friends will al knowing what he has been through want to stay at south!!! we will c!

Reply #6603 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

have i missed something is Scanlon not the coach anymore?

Reply #6633 | Report this post

Hodgy!!  
Years ago

Shaun phoned me (as I was last years Team Manager) on Friday to advise that due to a new job he is taking up, which includes a lot of Travel, he will be unable to Coach in 2005.

Not leaving for any Basketball reasons.

Reply #6675 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Players are going to leave. The Cos, Thurr simon Kent Blight surely some one knows who is going to coach. All my sources are as dry as a bone. It has to be Al or they will be playing their under 18 team in senior men.

Reply #6711 | Report this post

change of tact  
Years ago

why doesn't the club try something different and recruit a coach from another club. Bring some fresh ideas and enthusiasm. From an outsider looking in this should be a strong consideration.

Reply #6716 | Report this post

Hodgy  
Years ago

Give the Club a chance. Shaun only announced he wouldn't go on late last week, once he confirmed his new job.
I know that the club are exploring all their options as regards to a new Coach.
"Change of Tact", got any suggestions of names for South to contact, I will pass them on to those trying to organise a Coach.

Reply #6731 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

south have so many peoplers leaving like truck, cozzy, thurr, kent, i think we should look at recruting new people jst as well coaches

Reply #6748 | Report this post

tin tin  
Years ago

scanlon leaving as well.....
hicks to return

Reply #6752 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

are u serious. do south relly have hicks. i thought he was gona contine his runnig

Reply #6754 | Report this post

tin tin  
Years ago

just dont worry about south, whoever takes over will have plenty of talent...a couple of players who have not played in the league before, and one player who plays for souths biggest rival....from a relaible source!

Reply #6756 | Report this post

mole;  
Years ago

oh!! pleeeeezzzzze,were do you guy's come from??" NOT LEAVEING 4 BASKETBAL
REASONS" none of the former snr;would play with him after a season they had and thats fact!hello they all left!!plenty of talant, from where,?the only thing that will put south in a good position and retain 2 of there better players is
"al green" and with don what better quality guy's can south have,

Reply #6762 | Report this post

moby  
Years ago

tintin...intel is inaccurate..hicks is def running and no ballin'..hes bn training for ages for it...souths big guns will stay

Reply #6764 | Report this post

Penguin  
Years ago

Heard that the South Committee met last night and are approaching the decision about a new coach in a planned and methodical manner including consulting all the players. Certainly doesn't seem like they are in a panic. Word has it all the speculation about players leaving could be just that - talk - but several new players arriving.

Reply #6773 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

If Al gets the job South men will be climbing the ladder considerably

Reply #6792 | Report this post

PantherTrouble  
Years ago

Who is Souths biggest rival? other than themselves / internal fighting. Will there big names stay if a new coach is appointed??

Who can answer these questions for me

Reply #6794 | Report this post

change of tact  
Years ago

Hodgy, my advice to the club would to be as thorough as possible. I know little about South and couldn't comment about the quality of applicants within the club. When these opportunities arise you might as well cast as a greater net as possible to find a coach. It seems to me you have 4 choices:

Promote a current South Coach eg Green, Manning

Recruit a former ABL/State League coach from another Club - eg Pricthard, Ryan, Spear

Recruit a current Ass Coach from another club - eg Castle, Grocke

Recruit a credentialled junior coach from another club - eg Butler, Arnott, Rigoni, Leaver, Combe, Bennett etc the list goes on.

Neil Gliddon is one person worth speaking to get an opinion on oustside applicants.

In the end the club might still opt for a "South" person, but they should do themselves a favour and look around.

Reply #6806 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

What about Paul Robinson

Reply #6813 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Hahahaha.

they're not AIMING for 10th next season, are they?

Reply #6819 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Why would you say that he coached under Stirling for two years didn't he?

Reply #6820 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

No - he said 'yes' to Stirling for two years.

Reply #6822 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

LOL good call Hoop.

Ooooo someone spoke the truth about Robbo, better delete the whole thread now.

Reply #6823 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Give Robbo a break. I do not think someone like Jan would put up wih someone who is a liability to the team. All we can hope is that South select a coach who will point the team in the right direction. I don't think Robbo would do any worse then the previous coach.

Reply #6828 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

And what can we say are your list of achievements in basketball Hoop Addict? Alf??

Reply #6836 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I don't believe either Alf, or myself are being posed as possible candidates for ABL coaching gigs, so I really don't see the relevance?

Reply #6838 | Report this post

FoodAddict  
Years ago

HoopAddict is a lazy lazy umpire - with more opinions and useless bits of information than actual achievements.

Hoopin dont waste your time.

PS Al has def. been approached re South but it didnt sound like he was all that keen . Hmmmm?

Reply #6839 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

While your opinions seem so great!? I'd say Hoop Addict would know more than you anyday.

Reply #6843 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

I fail to see the relevance either. Hoopin have you the basketball qualifications to say that Robbo would be a good ABL coach? Works both ways.

Reply #6844 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

So i hear John Beames to do Under 12 Girls, Jason Brown to do 14 and 16 girls, Dayrl Crump to do 18 girls and Kaye Lee to do senior women. WOW thats a super lineup of coaches. I bet Southern(NCT) are kicking themselves that they lost all these coaches.

Reply #6873 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

since we have been reading these threads u lot sure make us laugh!if u are putting "robbo" on a par with "scalon" why would u want him coachin the snr; team,lol,
so it's now being said that the player's are being consulted re; the appointment of the new coach,there's only one coach al green!! if he go's to west south won't have a noteable team'''

Reply #6875 | Report this post

Penguin  
Years ago

In fighting at South? I don't think so - not judging by the levity and cameraderie during the Committee meeting last night. I'd say a very close-knit Committee that know exactly what they are doing.
Like I said - talk of players leaving is just that - lets see what happens eh?
As for the Men's Coach - you'd be surprised at the names on the interview list so far - and none were approached - they all approached the Club.
Just shows exactly how much all you so called "experts" don't know.
As for getting personal again, the South Junior Coaches that have been named have already forgotten more about basketball than most of you will ever learn in a lifetime.

Reply #6885 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

J-MAC (Penguin)players will leave if they do not take their coach choice seriously! Guarenteed

Reply #6916 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Wouldn't Kaylee just become head coach again if Al goes?

Maybe after a year off Pud will come back to the coaching position he left open for Shaun?

Reply #6918 | Report this post

June McKenzie  
Years ago

Hoopin,
Obviously you are aware that i am a reader of this site since being introduce to it by my son,and continue to read it because i am open to all opinions in the pursuit of trying to improve SABC,while it was a pretty good guess that it was myself as "penguin", you are wrong in your assumption,even i dont know who they are but i could make my own guesses.Im am only too aware that the players have to have the coaches respect and I think if you know me personally you know that is the way I think,but with out going into detail chosing is not always as black and white as you guys make it out to be.As for who it will be I will offer my opinions on choices made by the club as I always do but you will find that i will abstain from voting on the final choice as most would probably see it as a conflict of interest unless of course i feel stongly in the negative.
The club will be advertising tomorrow in the advertiser to see if there are other coaches interested with reputable ability who have not already contacted us just to make sure we leave no stone unturned.(One of my many suggestions at the committee meeting on Monday night)

Reply #6923 | Report this post

BigDog  
Years ago

Penguin,

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm actually crying from laughter!

'have already forgotten more about basketball than most of you will ever learn in a lifetime.'

Thanks for that, I needed a pick-up today!

Hey Penguine... time for a nap!

Reply #6924 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Hi June surely they have to give it to Al. He would be the only coach to keep all the players from going elsewhere. Especially when certain players are currently getting hounded by other clubs. It might be an idea to appoint a coach quick smart so there players can make up their minds where they will be playing.

Reply #6925 | Report this post

June McKenzie  
Years ago

Hoopin,
might be easier to pick up the phone and ring me for my non public opinions, but i understand all that you are saying and due process will occur but in an acelerated way.As for players being hounded by other clubs,from the archive material i have been reading,this has been a norm for 25 years or more and players are big people who are able to make their own choices in the long run,be it that all basketball clubs have players come and go for many reasons with the coach being of only but one of them.
What ever happen to the days of playing for the passion of the game and loyalty to the club.See what happened to the perfect game when money was introduced.

Reply #6926 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Its got nothing to do with money its got to do with the club being loyal to the players. With full knowlege of over half the team leaving due to the previous coach the club re-appoints him! However South has been given a get out of jail free card with Shauns new job now they just have to use it. Be loyal to the players and they will be loyal to the club.

Reply #6928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Club loyalty may be undermined by team cohesion and satisfaction. Money isn't always the problem. Players can shift to better their opportunities for personal development too.

I speak only as an outsider, but I haven't heard money mentioned as an issue in the South threads at all.

Reply #6929 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Players aren't going anywhere and i'm sure the club are looking at other players to make sure the club are in the playoffs next year. For all you people that sound so worried, you don't need to be. The club is in good hands and i'm sure that we'll be competitive next year.

Reply #6931 | Report this post

June McKenzie  
Years ago

Hoopin, this is why i hate this forum as you pick one small portion of what i write you have twisted it of its intention.I was talking of history with regard to the comment of money, knowing it had no relavence to the situation of the present.As for the rest and before i become the target of everything that is wrong at south,i am but one person in a democracy and that is how decisions are made be them right or wrong.And to what my opinions are to whether the decision was right or wrong that is not for this forum while i sit on a committee.But i hear what you are saying.

Reply #6934 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Sorry June I didn't mean it as an attack on you but you are one of the very few that take notice of this forum thats why you have copped it a bit. My appologies J-Mac

Reply #6935 | Report this post

June McKenzie  
Years ago

Accepted

Reply #6936 | Report this post

fisherman  
Years ago

I hope John Beams remembers that they are under 12 girls and not under 21 women when he bellows at the kids.

Reply #6937 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

wot coaches have south got that would be atracting other players from clubs. in my opinion the south coaching is pretty ordinary

Reply #6938 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Jason Brown, Kelly Manning, Don Shipway

Reply #6942 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Don shipway, Kelly Manning i agree but who has jason brown attracted ?

Reply #6944 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Don't know but i rate him as a coach he has a lot of dedication and knowlege

Reply #6948 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Jason Brown promised big things for hes team last season but he didnt deliver but he is committed and i give him that. Kelly Manning great coach. he will do well with the 18 boys. mabe we can look at him for coaching the men. Don Shipway ........ that should be exciting

Reply #6949 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

I watched the 16 girls at South last year and with the playing list they had, it was going to be a long season who ever coached them. The list did include 4 bottom age players.

Reply #6950 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

they had 2 south bottom age players. then got another from the country then they put another bottom age player up half way through the winter season. Will the country girl still play? long way to travel from Broken hill to get slaughted each week!

Reply #6952 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

The Ship is my main man but surely they cant waste him on the juniors when you have all his old players wanting to leave. Why dont South start their own accademy and have one session a week where he coaches the best South kids. Then all the club can gain from his experience have a South accademy Al coach the men now we can go somewhere.

Reply #6957 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

Jay, what do you think the perfect club structure is. The academy idea is interesting. F/Ville use "skillville" run by Dean and Paul to serve a similar purpose, which is open to all club player. I get the impression you are senior program focused. What are the top five points the club needs to address to get back on track

Reply #6959 | Report this post

No future 4 South  
Years ago

Jason Brown doesn't have a clue. John Beames will destroy the 12 girls just like he nearly did as ass. coach with Jason last year. By the way they need to stop bitching about each other if the are to get off the bottom of the scrap heap.

Reply #6961 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

hoopin has made very relivant threads
there and is basic be loyal to those who are loyal to you,and who would put any faith in a committee that reappoint's a coach after a shocking demonstration in overall management of his team,ie; the head butt incident,to name one of many!!all this should have been delt with weeks ago,the coach is the key,get al signed and u will have a team,and to make a comment like we would be surprised at who has approached the club"who care's nobody would bring the respect/cred that al would to a team,

Reply #6962 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

AMEN

Reply #6965 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

The future is governed by the work that gets done today. Thats our companies saying. No quick fix but wheh my brother was involved there was a American named Clay and there used to be a sign saying that this one season South had 14 or 15 or so junior teams in the grand finals and I know that Don and Clay had this program of teaching the coaches and the players. I cant find the booklet he was given but obviously educating the coaches would be one thing that would need to be done. I belive he is coaching a junior boys team and you would think it be mandatory for coaches to go to the practices that he runs because I think he is only coaching for one season. Al runs his camps in December so he obviously is good with juniors. Between the two coaches you would think South would want to try to tap their experience. I am only in Adelaide evry few months so I just get to hear in around about way what is happening so maybe they are already doing that but coaching the coaches would be no 1 on the list as it probably is at all clubs.

Reply #6977 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

What I want to know is how haven't the club been loyal to their players? And if they have only a player would know that so unless you twits play for the senior South men's team then you probably should stop this bullshit.

Reply #6981 | Report this post

shot gun  
Years ago

I agree Jason brown ????? but his dad Lawson Brown ... well he`s quite good. Jason should learn from his dad

Reply #6988 | Report this post

shot gun  
Years ago

we all know south isnt the best club.i think our main focus should be the juniors so they can become good players. but to create good players you need a good coach. im really glad that we have shipway coachin

Reply #6990 | Report this post

shot gun  
Years ago

wot about the 18 girls whos coaching them

Reply #6991 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

18 girls being coached by Dayrl Crump.

Reply #7007 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i havent hurd of him. is he a good coach

Reply #7020 | Report this post

Penguin  
Years ago

Well - my last post caused a bit of a response didn't it? What a pity most of you still don't know jack about what is actually happening, or what you're talking about!
Without taking the focus off South, my mail is that there are quite a few players currently at other clubs who are leaving - including the top five clubs.
Guess it isn't all peaches and cream at the Clubs who did well last season!
On the issue of Al to West - not happening - he is in the mix but not the top 3. On the issue of players leaving South -it might be good to search out who might be going to South.
Before you all get hot and sweaty responding - check out the proposed recruit rule being discussed by the Clubs to run in conjuction with the proposed salary cap - expensive imports and mass exits from Clubs might just be part of history this season.

Reply #7047 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

He is an NCT coach, and life member of the club. His daughter Meagen plays in the team.

Reply #7048 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

I mean ex NCT coach!

Reply #7049 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Are we talking seniors or juniors?

Reply #7050 | Report this post

Skimmer  
Years ago

Hey Hoopin and Mole. If Al's so good - how come ha ain't got a coaching gig yet?
Good on you J Mac - you speak good common sense. Can't say the same for some of the others though!

Reply #7051 | Report this post

The Real Informer  
Years ago

All the threads by the Informer in this column are from a different person than the one who has posted the finals numbers and predictions in the other columns. Try and come up wth an original name budy.

Reply #7077 | Report this post

Giamo  
Years ago

Why would you look any further than Manning?

Assistant to Don Shipway in a championship year.

Coached and established the line-up of the U/22 Bankstown team that went on to win the Sydney metro championship.

Assistant to Kubank in '02.

Has an intimate knowledge of South dating back 18 years.

Arguably one of the best readers of a basketball game around.

Can easily retain all of the South Men, has the respect of the group (as opposed to recent coaches) and can add players to the list from other clubs.

They should lock him in before another club does and South are left to see another of their coaches excel at a rival club.

Manning for PM!!!!!!

Reply #7084 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Giamo jst wondering what does PM stand for

Reply #7086 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I agree Giamo - he could well be their best option. Depends if he's willing to devote himself to it though?

Also, may as well see who else applies, you never know!!

Reply #7088 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

Giamo, Mannings's credentials are certainly impressive and he could no doubt successfully coach this group. However from a total club perspective the best thing might be to bring someone from outside, keep Manning involved with the juniors. With the addition of Shipway in the space of a month they would have gone from 1 outstanding coach in the boys program to three. Using these three to work with the other coaches, this could then balloon to 6 or 7 quality junior coaches in the following 12 months. The clubs 12/14/16 all made the finals so there is definitely talent in the junior ranks. Me thinks the appointment of the Senior coach is critical not just for the ABA program, but the entire boys side of the club.

Reply #7094 | Report this post

Poncho  
Years ago

If South can get Manning at U/16's and Shipway at U/14's in their Junior program they'll have a great base to start from. If they get a good young coach in u/12's who is willing to ask advice and listen to those two then even better.

But they need a kick in the Girls program. Crump at U/18s? Had 1 State player and two reserves this season and managed to finish second last. I guess if he gives his daughter enough opportunity to make state this year he won't care where they finish. Jason Brown at U/16's or U/14's. Sure, to some, it looks like he has passion, but competance and youthful enthusiasm are two different things. And Beamsy, well, lets hope he spends more time communicating with his players than yelling at Ref's, the opposition and everybody else.

Reply #7106 | Report this post

Giamo  
Years ago

Commitment as no issue for Manning - probably one of his defining character traits.

(PM stands for Prime Minister - DH)

The key to a successful mens program (apart for junior development) is to go back to the early 90's when players would bust their ass just for spot in reserves!

The previous coach didn't give a toss about it and therefore neither did the 18's or 20's.

It is exactly where the young guys get their first taste of the MENS ball and also where your 8/9/10 guys in the ABA team get the court time - How are you low minutes beach guys supposed to improve if they don't get game time in reserves. - Training can only do so much, you learn skills & theory at training, knowing the game comes for minutes played.

In 90 - 92' the South reserves team could have happily competed with many other clubs MENS teams!

Reply #7116 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Isac where does this thread rate? Maybe I'll start up another one to keep the interest up.

Reply #7158 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Second top for non-School topics. 80 replies, 1500+ reads. Good work!

Reply #7162 | Report this post

Shut Up!!  
Years ago

Assuming that Kelly Manning does apply for the ABL Job, would it be better for South for him to remain in the Junior Program as U18 Coach and assisting the new U12 Coach (with Don's assistance and guidance)and trying to get the Junior program up to speed with the other 2 inner South Clubs or would he of more immediate benefit to the ABL Program?

Tough call for those making the decision on a new ABL Coach. Thats why they get paid ZERO DOLLARS, I guess.

Having had a couple of brief discussions with Kelly, his passion and commitment are unquestioned, but where is this best directed, Junior or ABL.
I assume that it would be too difficult to handle both, or be expected to, although I do remember Michael Jobbing(?) doing both for Norwood a couple of years ago.
Is it possible with the right support to be able to handle both, it would mean I assume having the U18/1's training with the ABL Men, something that has not happened at South (for at least the last 4 years that I know of anyway)

Reply #7168 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Come on the mighty Panthers lets crack the ton. Vote on who you want as South mens senior coach. No explanations just vote as if South have just one team and only South people we dont want any contaminating vote from some lower quality club like Sturt Norwood North or West. The other clubs not mentioned dont even rate with those mentioned.

Reply #7179 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i want Kelly Mannings

Reply #7181 | Report this post

Skimmer  
Years ago

Rumour has it Al spoke to the South Pres and others today - Manning over the weekend. Something's happening - anybody got better info (facts as opposed to speculation)?

Reply #7183 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Hey Skimmer who do you vote for. Get off the fence pick a name.

Reply #7188 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

who do u vote for ay

Reply #7190 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

who do u vote for jay

Reply #7191 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Not sure!

Reply #7192 | Report this post

giamo  
Years ago

Manning - he is married to a U/18 SA representative from the 90's who understands the level of commitment required to coach ABL - won't be an issue.

Anyone who is witness to the hours he puts into U/12's wouldn't ask the question of available hours.

Reply #7194 | Report this post

master  
Years ago

if the players voice counts for anything it will be Kell!

Reply #7203 | Report this post

hawkeye  
Years ago

We want Al.If the club doesnt give the job to Al on a silver plate, there is something wrong!!Look at his coaching record and not only that,he also has the respect of the whole basketball community.Something that South Adelaide coaches have not had any of since the day Don retired!

Reply #7207 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Kelly or al it doesnt relly mattr as long was one of them get the job.

Reply #7208 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

as much as I would like Kelly to do the ABA i think for long term it would be better for the club if he did under 18`s and Al does the ABA. I dont see Al putting the time in to develop the players like Kelly will.

Reply #7223 | Report this post

Ramrock  
Years ago

they are all not very good

Reply #7246 | Report this post

Skimmer  
Years ago

Ramrock - you are an idiot.
Manning for me.

Reply #7250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Al doesn't take the mens team, he won't coach at south at all. Kelly will take 18's if he doesn't have the mens team. If we want to keep good coaches throughout the club then its a no-brainer. Lets see if the committee gets it right...

Reply #7262 | Report this post

Giamo  
Years ago

Al is not pathetic enough to hold the club to ransom.

However, if he does hold the club to ransom - they should tell him to jam it.

Reply #7274 | Report this post

Giamo  
Years ago

What's Al's real name....

Al Nick Stevens Green!

Reply #7275 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

no suprise!it is a "NO BRAINER" but it seems we get one/two on every committee who just don't have one,why would you advertise a position at this late stage to see who's out there,when u have a coach like al green on your door step? through this forum we are given an opertunity to voice an opinion,and it's said some committee member's read them,well your time wasteing is
is noted,if al go's so will what's left of good player's ,loyalty,wake up,

Reply #7276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's not holding the club to ransom, but he wasn't going to coach at south this season until this offer came up.

Reply #7279 | Report this post

Shut Up!!  
Years ago

moles;

So the club shouldn't advertise, what if say Steve Breheny decides he wants to Coach an ABL side in 2005, or Paul Rees wants to move into a Playing Coach role, or even David Cooper. (These 3 are just hypothetical & I doubt any of them would be interested at all)Are the Committe then going to get bagged for picking someone from basically inside the club, when an outside applicant was interested but was unable to apply!
Don't get me wrong, Its not that I don't want Al as the ABL Coach, but I also believe the Club has a responsibility to all Members, to see who is out there that maybe interested.

Reply #7285 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Shut Up you make senses on this one. All ABL coaching jobs should be advertised by every club because you never know who is interested. Provided the club makes a swift decision and do not let too much time pass, then advertising at this late a stage is not a bad one. I think both Al and Kelly would make a good choice to coach so I do not think the club will lose out if the go for either coach.

Reply #7288 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

What if they get someone applying like David Spear who i know is interested in coaching again?

Reply #7326 | Report this post

cocky's tongue  
Years ago

I would imagine that whatever process south used here would be criticized. You can't please all the people all the time, but it does seem a thorough process with the time given.

Reply #7330 | Report this post

Brian Devey  
Years ago

Just a few quick comments as SABC Club President.
The Committee was UNANIMOUS in its decision to advertise the position for the Men's ABL Coach. Not a decision of a Committee racked by in-fighting etc as falsely claimed earlier this week. As a consequence we have received responses from qualified and experienced Coaches currently outside the Club in addition to the ones identified from within the Club. We have also consulted with ALL the SABC ABL men from the season just past and ALL have provided positive and constructive input.
Regrettably, despite my previous invitations to do so (as June Mac also did this week), my phone has not rung hot with calls from any of the critics that post on this site even though I have adopted an 'open door' philosophy since my appointment as President last year, and will continue to do so.
I anticipate announcing the new coaching appointment for the Men's ABL side on Tuesday 21 September.
In the mean time, congratulations to Tracey Braithwaite on back to back championships following her 18 girls win tonight and to Matt Warren for a similar result with his 20 boys.
Good luck to the remaining South teams playing in grand finals tomorrow morning.

Reply #7355 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

Brian congratulations on your positive response to the 'snipers' out there. To have not advertised the position of Coach would have been negligent. However considering you advertised the position on Thursday the 16th of September and you plan on announcing the coaches appointment this Tuesday it would appear that advertising the postion was a waste of time. Obviously you have candidate you feel is outstanding and i am sure he/she is. What is the rush? Why not take a couple of weeks. Source out the best possible person for the job. Good luck

Reply #7359 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

corret me if I'm wrong,I don't re call the womens coaching job being advertised when al was asked to coach them?? and are you saying al's coaching record is not good enough against kellys? and if you had taken notice of the positive input from the
snr;team which you did get weeks ago,
scanlons contract should have been torn up there and then,and al asked to do the men's all in house and we could have been in training with a team by now NO BRAINER!oh sure take a few more weeks,al's got nothing to
lose south is the loser 4 not signing
him,,

Reply #7362 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Somebody correct me but was there an announcement to who the south abl coach is.
South just cant win with jerks like "mole" who like to bring up past decisions all the time, have you ever heard of learning and changing and evolving.Al was appointed womens coach over 4 years ago by a completely different committee,so are we to hold this committee responsible for the approach of that appointment.
To all the "Al" worshipers out there if you scratch Al, he bleeds just like everyone else despite his over size ego,and he certainly has feet of clay.Can he save South,I dont think so, as he has ample opportunity to show his prowess as a saviour for over 4yrs and done zip.And if you all want to show examples of what he has done besides spent money on players who have come and gone feel free, in fact someone start a whole new thread title"How Al's Improved South Adelaide over The Years"
I vote Kel's as the new white saviour of South Adelaide

Reply #7365 | Report this post

moles;  
Years ago

it seems our non/learned freddy has a problem, and not only with his recall of the womens team success in the last 3 seasons,we draw attention
to the advertiseing at a late date because it was not done before and question even now,and has far has al having an ego,even though he's entitled to have one after winning all that NBL can offer,we say again kelly just doesn't come near,the facts/stats speak 4 them self,freddy
u can vote 4 whoever,

Reply #7408 | Report this post

skimmer  
Years ago

If you look under local it seems Kelly Manning has got the job at South.

Reply #7787 | Report this post

south champ  
Years ago

ive been playing for south since U10 first year. i will love it no matter what.

Reply #35921 | Report this post

south#20  
Years ago

Those that suggested that Robbo (Paul Robinson) could be a likely candidate for ABL coach, heres some news for you.
In fact he sucessfully coached the u16 div 1 side in the 2004/2005 season and after this stint he has moved onto NORTH ADELAIDE to take up assistant coaching in the senior mens league.
He will be remembered at South for years to come for his commitment and effort! His appointment to North is a credit to his coaching skills.
Well done Robbo

Reply #54153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754