Take Luck
Years ago

Holmes to dragons

was just on the news, 7 i think. great work by the 6ers again. no really top job!

Topic #6687 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I think Condi's picture below sums up how I'm feeling now:

But then again, the Hulk sums it up well too.

But best of all, Mr Angry Brain is now out of the cupboard. Aaaaaaargh.

Reply #75040 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Doesn't look like there will be too many familiar faces next season.

Will be very interesting to see how the 36ers go about replacing Rees, Rychart, Forman and Holmes.

Not too long ago I posted that South Australia was producing some top level talent.

Ie in 5 years the following team would take some beating.

C Schenscher
PF Dodman
SF Holmes
SG Newley
PG Hill

6 Forman
7 Kersten
8 Ingles
9 Seebohm

I also posted that the way we were going we would be lucky to have 3 of the above players on the 36ers in the future. Now looking like we will be lucky to have any of the above on the 36ers!!

I know money always plays a part but there seems to be a common theme with these leaving players that they are moving to play for a coach who will pay greater attention to individual development.

Today's article by Nagy was excellent in my opinion and I note the final line, "Forman will fill an off-guard, small forward role with NZ where his development also will receive greater individual attention."

Reply #75043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if he plays 2/3 this year and scores 20 per game send him to the NBA

Reply #75046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it just me or have we just been getting rid of the players we should be keeping

Reply #75047 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Sixers may as well change their name now. With all these familiar faces gone, it will be like supporting another team except for the fact it will be based in Adelaide.

Reply #75051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

holmes left thats awesome

Reply #75053 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Great, I'm a shoe in! Can someone tell me when training camp starts?

Reply #75071 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

this is just sad, after oscar left i think everyone expected jim to go. Just dont know what to think, it was sad to loose dusty but its even worse to loose these guys who we have watched develop and were meant to be the core of the team in the years ahead.

Reply #75076 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Well, why go? Whats the mind set for forman and holmes to leave? Cash?
They play in prob the most relaxed environment ni the league, not hard trainers at all... phill has nothing on the kings!

Is Ninni big on Jacob? Is he a big draw card to south for SA boys?

I bet the 36ers crew who felt they couldnt afford ninni anymore are kickin themselves now... ha

Reply #75077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was a deal that he just couldn't turn down from the sounds of things. Best of luck to him!

Stingray, sometimes a player might not want to play in a relaxed environment?

Reply #75081 | Report this post

tiger  
Years ago

It is very disappointing to lose oscar an djacob in the last week. It really does leave the sixers future and their reputation as a club in tatters in my opinion. In my opinion it also reflects very badly on Phil's coaching, the fact that 2 up and coming players who have some very good years ahead of them in the next 5 or 6t seasons, jump ship at this time citing the in famous quote..."it was an offer too good to turn down". You think Maher has received many "too good to turn down" offers over the years, you bet he has.....so i dont think that is the only reason, they may well bellieve that their games will develop a lot better in a different program.
Good luck to Jacob and Oscar, but some questions must be being asked down at 6er head quarters.

Reply #75092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's Boti's article about it today.

On the eve of arguably the biggest basketball match of his life, SA's Commonwealth Games forward Jacob Holmes has told Adelaide he will join new franchise South Dragons next season.

Holmes, 23 in August and a "veteran" of 150 NBL games with the 36ers including the 2002 championship, will suit up with the new Melbourne outfit for the next two years, accepting an offer Adelaide could not match.

Reply #75093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher is like Andrew Gaze, he would never leave the club he has given everything for, no matter how much money was on offer.

Reply #75095 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

It will be hard to see Holmes and Forman playing for different teams next season but as long as we can still develop young talent like hill i guess we can enjoy watching his progress.

I wonder what Brett and Willie are thinking.

Willies probably thinking 50 fga's a game!!

Reply #75099 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

I would bet that we're the team that keep throwing offers at Maher that he can't refuse and that's why we can't afford to keep anyone else.

Do the Dragons get any additional salary cap to play with in their debut year?

Reply #75102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Smyth...your lives have run out my friend.

Reply #75106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sawmeinhalf - re: Dragons, not officially!

Reply #75109 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

(75106) Stop the snipping and constant personal attacks on Phil or come out and state whom you really are.

(Mod: Deleted. Watch your language!)

Reply #75111 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

lol Isaac - Just like Bradtke isnt 'officially' a kindy teacher at an ABC Learning Centre up here (I can just see him with whistle in hand ala Arnie in Kindergarten cop....Its not a tumor!!!)

Reply #75117 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Moderator, I apologize for that use of profanity and it was uncalled for.

Question I have to ask to you is, " Why does someone have the ability to make a snide remark like that when we all know that Phil is not going to lower himself to reply to that comment?"

Do you condone someone making a snide remark and person attack on a basketball legend, both in the state and country? If you like and know basketball you should show some respect.

Reply #75118 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Geez Joe........just relax a bit - its Friday :)

Reply #75119 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

People, how about wishing the lads best of luck! Two potential future stars of the league that have moved for better oppurtunity and security. Good luck to them.

And the Sixers as they are now, well... things can only get better. Who knows what's going to happen. I felt this way when Mee and Brooks left with Davis coming to an end. Championship was around the corner. No management is going to put together a 'b team' so just wat and see. How many times did posters bag Holmes' shot selection and Forman's lack of inside game when we scored some losses, then suddenly you all cane the management for letting them go.
Hypocrisy at its best!

I'm looking forward to a new season with new talent that can hopefully provide you guys with excellent shot slection and an inside game. At this stage, the potential for next season is infinite.

Reply #75120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joe, they implied that Smyth's run at the Sixers might come to an end when his contract is up. I don't think that's an unlikely proposition and as such I didn't think that the comment made was necessarily offensive.

Personally, I think his enthusiasm has waned and he's obviously interested in a future in media in some capacity so were it my decision and another viable option presented itself in 07/08, I'd look at taking it.

That said, if he can put together a more experienced side for this season, he may win back some of the fans that he's let slip. They've got a clean slate and the four players signed are all capable - should be interesting to see what happens from here.

Reply #75122 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

hear Hear WAK! A rare sensible post indeed.

Reply #75141 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Dana, a 'rare sensible post' from me, or just a 'rare sensible post'? ;)

Reply #75227 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Here's a thought, look what Melb did with a clean out.

Reply #75230 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Not from you wak. The latter.

Reply #75270 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

holme & foreman gone is a huge loss.. sixers should be looking into future saying these 2 boys will be household boomers one day & they have gone.. i suggest we lock up hill for a 5 yr deal etc..

Reply #76191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:19 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754