Joe M
Years ago

Sixers 06/07: Time to move forward

Sixers 2006-07

With Dusty, Oscar and now Jake leaving for reasons unbeknown to us and only to them and there families. The Sixers have hit rock bottom on the playing front (more water to go under the bridge yet for other reasons away from the team) and its time to show some support and see who they can recruit to field a competitive side. Talk about Phil lake of development or desire to play the young players, but if they can recruit a side of solid NBL player they could win it all again on the back of Brett, Brad Hill and Willy who are going to be the cornerstone of the side.

I guess now we know what the parameters are and basically what needs to be done to start preparing for next year. If Mike Daws is true to his word and has been quoted correctly that the Sixer have every intention of using the entire NBL salary cap to recruit the replacement players we should be ok. At present we need a Centre, Power forward and a small forward who can start as well as a bench player who is capable of playing inside, the Sixer should sign Nash and Hambour (unless Jordan Dodman is wanted by the club) and Gower to round out the bench.

I would change the desired necessity on who is recruited as an import from a centre/power forward to a scoring swingman as that could be the hardest spot to fill on next season roster. Recruiting Pero and Derrick Moore and Geordie Cullen to play as the primary inside targets would have to be high on the list of priority now, grouping them with David Cooper and Mark Nash who has been known to spend time in the paint would be a handy inside group of players. The small forward then would be able to be an excitement machine who could also help out on the inside (in the states there would be a dime a dozen looking for an opportunity to work in Australia)

C: Pero / Cooper
PF: Moore / Cullen / Hambour
SF: Import / Nash
SG: Farley / Todd Gower
PG: Maher / Hill

I don't think I simply have blind faith in the Adelaide 36ers basketball organization or Phil and Steve but that side looks pretty impressive (even if I do say so) and should win enough games to make a solid run at a top 4 spot again, and anything is possible once you get there.

Players have left and there is no point in bitching about it now, we cannot change the desired outcomes (well as a supporter you can, don't go to games and don't buy a membership) but basically that goes against everything I stand for as a supporter of a sporting organizations. If you want to be cheering and gloating after a premiership you have to be willing to stand around when the club has hit rock bottom and continue to show your support. Until the club had died and been laid to rest I will be continuing on with my support; retrospect of what I said the other day.

Go Sixers and I hope other can get behind the side rather than bagging them all the time.

That's just my 2 cents worth and bring on season 2006/07 ASAP

Topic #6693 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Somewhere, Todd Gower is thinking "I'm a shooting guard?!?"

I obviously don't know for sure, but I'd guess that you've got $285-335k to spend on your starting centre, two starting forwards and a backup point guard (assuming they keep Nash and Hambour-level players as backups). Maybe it's completely wrong, but if we're playing Fantasy Team 06/07 we might as well set a value and consider some realistic options? No idea what Pero would ask.

Reply #75121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering we have the coach that players want to play for the most, we should have recruits knocking our door down to join the club. Hmmmmmm.

Reply #75126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A mediocre player is going to get very rich(in basketball terms)this season playing for the Sixers!

Reply #75133 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

"Somewhere, Todd Gower is thinking "I'm a shooting guard?" then move him to the 3 or 4 spot and look for another guard. Sorry I didn't understand that peril of re positioning Todd Gower and his value to the side.

Reply #75135 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Joe M I quite like your idea of using the import spot on a versatile small forward. The right player could cancel the need for another backup guard. Just go with Brad Hill (Gerlach might make the 10 too).

Reply #75138 | Report this post

Coach K  
Years ago

Of a very limited preparation Gerlach DESTROYED Brad Hill last week.

As the inaugural Brett Maher medalist, if he can keep his knee's healthy he is a lock to make the team.

Reply #75140 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

From change comes opportunity... hungry kids, bleed'em.

Reply #75143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe, did you not say a few days ago that there is no way you are renewing your memebership? you seem to have had a change of heart.

Reply #75151 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Well I guess that was typed in the heat of the moment and harsh things are posted when supporters of sporting clubs are frustration, disappointment and angry at a decision that they don't agree with, with time comes clarity and with clarity come a positive attitude. After 17 years (1989 -2006) with the club I guess I am not ready to give up on them, especially when this is a very dark period of so many good periods. It's not really fair to walk away now.

Time heals all wounds and with a positive outlook on things I am excited about the possibilities of a new and exciting side, I also qualified that with the statement in the 3rd last paragraph "retrospect of what I said the other day"

Reply #75154 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

"this is a very dark period of so many good periods" - (#75154)

Excuse me Joe, but why is this a 'very dark period' for the club? Putting money matters aside (and which team doesn't have money matters?) how can this be a 'dark period'?

Totally agree with you in that oppurtunity beckons, things can only get better, and that supporters should SUPPORT, but you still seem to be holding on to this talisman of a 'dark period' in the club. This is contradictory to the message you're trying to put forward.

I don't see this at all as a 'dark period' for the club. I agree with you in that there are now 'possibilities for a new and exciting side' and believe that everyone should grasp this for what it is and show their support.

With Holmes, Forman, and Rychart in the squad, i ask you all how the Sixers could be better than what they were? A change was needed and a change is what has prevailed.

Reply #75229 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A subtle change was needed not a major cull. We haven't been that far off the championship the last few seasons.

Reply #75267 | Report this post

Gary  
Years ago

Maybe this is what the coach has actually wanted?

IMO subtle change would not have been any good as we had too much $ tied up in too few.

Sydney have done rather well with a full rebuild of over the last few years....whos to say we cant?

Reply #75274 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

We have been knocked out in the first round every season since the 2002 championship.

More than a subtle change was needed.

Besides, there has been no 'major cull'.

Rees retired.

Dusty, Jacob and Oscar left on their own terms due to great contract/development offers from elsewhere. They were not sacked.

This is nothing new for the 36ers organisation, nor is it something that is unique to Adelaide.

The turnover of players has been quite high in the NBL for a long time.

There has been worse off-seasons than this for the 36ers.

Club champions like Mee and Cat both left whilst contracted to the 36ers to play in Europe.

Stiff became a King after being quoted by Nagy as saying he would return to the 36ers if unsuccessful in Europe.

Rogers left 1 year into a 5 year deal at the same time the cap went down.

The list goes on and on.

It's a reality of professional sport today but it is also a big reason why the NBL has lost a lot of fans from the 80s and 90s where the powerhouse teams were a lot more stable and the players were known and recognised in the community.

Reply #75278 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754