Isaac
Years ago

Funny Forum Chat with Daws and Smyth - best time?

Mike Daws has just given me a call with the suggestion that Hoops SA host something of a forum-based discussion on the Sixers potential roster for 2006/07.

This could run for, say, an hour at a particular time, possibly next week. Its focus would be on the team, not on BSA and its government fun.

The community would have the opportunity to post their questions or comments, and Daws and Phil Smyth would be online to respond. (I think it might be safer if post-approval be enabled for the duration of the discussion to keep things on track, but that's a detail to be established.)

I'm posting this I guess as a bit of a heads-up, but also to see what time of day would be most convenient for those interested in participating. During the day when people are at work with Internet access, perhaps during a lunch hour? Or later in the evening when people are home?

Looking for your thoughts.

Topic #6706 | Report this topic

Joe M  
Years ago

Thumb up to Daws and Smyth for taking the time to listen and show some consideration to its fans in this tough time.

Anytime during the day would be best (11:30am  1:30 pm) would be best.

What day is the most logical at this time? Monday or Tuesday

Reply #75220 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

For me weekend (anytime) or during the week after 5pm.

Great idea, but would a chat based system be easier to control/utilise?

Reply #75222 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Isaac

Do you want us to post our questions for Mike Daws and Phil Smyth before a certain time?

I have plenty of questions I would like answered, and I am sure I am not the only one.

Maybe it would have been a better idea if the Sixer open up the Dome for a Questions and Answer session so fans or interested parties of basketball in South Australia could come along and ask a question and get a real time response.

Like a normal club would on there AGM or election night.

Reply #75226 | Report this post

billy  
Years ago

late in the afternoon would be the better time id suggest - a lot of fans will be at school during the day and therefore, would be unable to post thier questions - and i think that the youth should be taken into consideration, and thier support more than anything, is crucial at this point in time.

Reply #75232 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Outside of business hours.

Reply #75236 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This is very encouraging to see Daws & Smyth prepared to discuss next season's roster. It gives confidence that they are focussed on the next season and prepared to listen to the fans. In view of all the negative talk of recent weeks, it would be good just to get an honest answer from them in regards to how much they are doing to put together a decent roster and how much confidence they actually have themselves in achieving this.

Reply #75238 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Congratulations must go to Isaac for his input and hard work to provide this site.... and also pretty well all of the forum users.....This approach from the Sixers organisation shows that this forum is viewed as being passionate and informed with some ideas worth listening to.

As far as times - Im easy and can work to whenever is best for the majotity.

Will there be a way to moderate any such discusions to make sure there is no unwanted peanuts posting that could derail what has the potential to be a great Q&A session?

Reply #75251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hi dont do this forum thing on a thursday and maybe do it at 6:30pm and post when it will be and what day because i would like a few questions answered thanks Isaac

Reply #75268 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

away from buisness hours

Reply #75309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It would be next week sometime, but I also want to leave some time for people to realise that it's happening.

People would be able to post questions at the time that Mike and Phil are online, or even put questions up early or submit them via email to me if they can't make the time itself.

Statman, yes, I would switch on approvals for that period so that any posts need to be approved before they're made live. This is not used normally because it stunts discussions (e.g., if no moderators are around, a conversation doesn't really continue) and because there are legal implications for me and other moderators.

Even if only a few people have questions to ask, I think it could be a positive situation because otherwise all fans are hearing about potential signings bar forums is hints in Boti's columns.

Reply #75329 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Reallistically though couldnt they just summaries what has already been posted over the last few weeks on here, I mean the questions that we are all likely to ask, will be ones that have pretty much been discussed on here already.

Yes its a great idea, but has it all been covered before.

Ie what will people ask/discuss - big man options - Pero, Wheeler, Ballinger etc - all been discussed already.

Why did jacob,oscar not get inked mid season - probably won't be discussed as its a done deal and fans and the coaching staff/club are moving on.

Is it worth chasing the older players - copeland, rose, rucker etc - probably not in terms of future for the club but when you have limited $$ and you need to find a bargain you are either going to get some raw youth somewhat unkown or get a veteran the is approaching the end of their career and looking for that one or two more years.

Reply #75332 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

time is an issue. rather than attacking the two of them with questions after questions, isaac could perhaps write a list of 20 questions that are of interest. Once they have posted their responses and we have had time to read them, they could perhaps hop on line for an hour and answer some follow up questions. we dont have time for a bitching session where we may get stuck on one issue. great idea though and i would like a detailed response to most of the questions.

Reply #75336 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Joe M

Great responce, an open forum in real time with a roaming mic would get real answers for you guys over there.

Get them on court with this crew in the croud.

Reply #75376 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Great idea and I feel that as they are giving their time and it may get intense it is only fair that the people use their names and not Anon.

Reply #75407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754