Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers

Boomers on after the break!

Turn on to channel 9 now!

Topic #6709 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

2 minutes from the start of the game and already switched over to track & field. Channel 9 I beg you, give us the basketball.

Reply #75235 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Anyone got a score update? There dosnt seemt to be a score update via www.melbourne2006.com yet every other game has grrrr!

Reply #75241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half time-Boomers down by a couple. NZ playing well

Reply #75245 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Half time - NZ 37 - Boomers 36

Reply #75246 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

3/4 time - NZ 62 - Boomers 61

Reply #75247 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

they better pull there finger out. need to lift it for the last quarter.

Reply #75248 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ahhh the joys of Qld.......

Channel 9 after showing about 5 minutes of the first half have shown the 1/2 time scores and said "wow this is a close tight game" - gone to an ad break and now they have canned the games for the night and put on the Fn Rugby league!!!! NOT HAPPY

any score updates of the 2nd half will be greatly appreciated!

Reply #75249 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Boomers win gold. 81-76

Reply #75255 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Aussie win. A wins a win but i certainly wasnt impressed by the Aussie team. So many 3 pointers..... and i thought they lacked a bit of discipline..

Reply #75256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a game.

Reply #75257 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Shane Heal's commentating is odd. Berating the Boomers for putting up too many threes. Excuse me?

Reply #75258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the boomers team is terrible. it is sydney + other wannabee losers + newley

Reply #75259 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

i know its not our No.1 team but i cant get over at how tentative they were in parts of the game. Like scared high school kids.

Reply #75261 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Despite the win, Boy Goorj is a terrible coach. They had no post game and when they finally went to Sam Mack in the 4th, things started to turn.

Then again: Bogut, Andersen, Neilsen or Anstey would've been handy.

Good to see Maher and Cattalini, oops, Holmes and Mottram riding the pine. Barry Barnes anyone?

Reply #75262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We won, just shut up and be happy

Reply #75263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me where in Melbourne this game was played?

Reply #75265 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Cant be complacent Anon... any other basketball power would have tore us apart....

Reply #75266 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Was played at MPV - Multi Purpose Venue, which was also used for the indoor cycling.

MPV is Vodafone arena (where the South Dragons) will be playing out of, formerly the titans and tigers have played out of there as well.
Vodafone dont have naming rights for an event such as the commenwealth games hence the 'drap' title of the venue.

It is right across from the MCG next to Rod Laver Arena.

Reply #75272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers put up more 3's than 2's. Thats not a bad effort.
What a way to win gold!
Jason Smith for Prime Minister...

Reply #75273 | Report this post

Sarge  
Years ago

If there is one thing that shits more than any other is the bloody shithouse performance of the Boomers. Watching the pitiful gold medal game against New Zealand tonight, we nearly witnessed another example of the Australian men's basketball team total capitulation.
It all started for me in 2004 when the Boomers were up by a few at half against the USA at the Athens olympics. Then in the second half they shit themselves because they thought they were half a chance of winning. This was the USA team credited with being the worst professional team they have ever fielded and led to them actually taking international competition seriously. Of course it didn't come at the hands of Australia. No Puerto Rico beat them jsut two nights before, and they were nothing special...they just had Carlos Aroya hitting carpark treys. If we had actually hung tought in the second half of that one we could have been playing for a friggin Olympic medal. We ended up losing 89-79. Frustrating bastards.
Then tonght! The Boomers are ten times better team than the Sheep-shaggers, they should have belted them, but instead they waited until the last few seconds before finally wrapping up what should have been another walk in the park. Sure they waltzed through every other game but bloody hell I could have beaten their competition with two broken legs.
What is the deal with shooting more three point shots than two point shots. They shot something like ten more triple attempts than they did inside the arc. Live and die by the three...they arent even that good an outside. They are slack, settle for the outside shot too much and dont have enough decent pentrators. Grow some nuts and get to the hoop boys, bloody hell.
Where the bloody hell where they inside? It's not as if its a donut team. Paul Rogers, former NBL MVP and NBA draft pick, what the bloody hell were you doing? Get a board! Box someone out! Almost lost it in the end because no one stopped NZ getting offensive boards.
Piss Goorjian off too! What's he done with the team? Nothing but fill it with Sydney players. 9th at the Athens Olympics. And stop picking Tony Ronaldson!!

Farse of a competion that Commonwealth Games tournament. Hope they never contest basketball at the Comm games again. Does nothing for Australia but teach them to play slack offense.
Had to get that off my chest.

Reply #75276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever heard of giving credit to the oposition for putting up some good opposition?

Reply #75277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont know why so many of you are in it to beat the boomers gold down, they played well with their B team, winning to NZ isnt easy... as was proved in the world championships.... and yes i did think they shot too many threes but show me a perfect game from any team anywhere..... threes are their strength as there good big men are absent so shut the fuck up.i dont know how in the hell you can copmplain about tony ronaldson, he is and always has been a big game player.... if it wasnt for the sydney players we may not have won... ie kendal, jason smith.... no national pride what so ever... do any of you guys think you could do better? and any other power would have tore us apart hey? well no other powers were theyre for you to say that for certain..... you gotta consider what the team would be like once we have the big guys... that would be a much more balanced mix of inside and outside play, what i dont get is how aus is in a gold medal basketball game and channel 9 is showing anything else...... u guys probably saw the bad patches of the game maybe...

Reply #75280 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

I agree Sarge...

Reply #75281 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

one thing i will agree with sarge on is the game vs USA, .... we may never have the chance to pull one over the USA again and that has played on me ever since that game.... yes they shot mainly threes but Aus only had 1 genuine big man (and he wasnt exactly going 'all out' in this game), you do have to consider that the offence will be different when we are loaded with bigs... this is NOT the team whjich will bne at the world cha,mpionships..... i tend to think the one we will have their will be a very good one. show some national pride, and NZ were worthy adversaries

Reply #75283 | Report this post

Chappy  
Years ago

agreed, we will never have another chance like we did against the USA as we did in Athens.

Reply #75286 | Report this post

Xavier  
Years ago

I look forward to seeing the team for the World Championships. The team we fronted in that tournament was not worthy of the Australian name, even if it was only the Commonwealth Games.
They made New Zealand look like a decent opposition, and let's face it they really are not. We need to realise that we have to measure ourselves against the Argentinas, Lithuanias and yes the USA, because until we put ourselves in the same picture as them, and actually believe we can beat them we will never get anywhere.
It the whole Socceroos syndrome all over again.

Reply #75287 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Anyone have any ideas of what the lineup will be for the World Championships?

obviously Bogut in.

who else?

Reply #75288 | Report this post

Years ago

Xavier is right, we need to get into the mindset that we can compete with Argentina, USA, Lithuania etc or else we'll always just be the underdog and begin to settle for basketball mediocrity. We'll have NBA players or guys who are/were on the NBA radar at the World Championships (Bogut, Newley, Bruton, Anderson, Anstey, Rodgers), so I think there should be no excuses if we don't do well in that tournament.

Reply #75290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many of those players that in the current team, were in the Squad that Phil Smyth picked when he was Boomers Coach????

Reply #75293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Boomers were piss-poor weak tonight. If it wasn't for Sammy Mac they wouldn't have managed to penetrate the key at all.

Boomers thought they could walk it in, played no help side defence, didn't box out and generally gave NZ no respect.

NZ on the other hand were playing some good TEAM ball (I saw actual assists from them and not just those kick outs to the three point line) and were hitting gutsy clutch shots (except Pero Cameron, who thinks he is a hero but just continues to throw up crap).

Anyway, if certain Boomers think they can make it in the NBA, both of them are dreaming based on tonight's efforts. Newley looked lost and clueless, and CJ scared and impotent.

And Goorj mate, you just have to stop just running with the Sydney Boomers if we want to think of competing against the world powers in Basketball (and no, NZ is not a world power. One good world champs result means very little).

Reply #75295 | Report this post

kendo  
Years ago

who was playing on that team in 2001 vs NZ?

Reply #75296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Boomers!

fo' sure good call!

Reply #75297 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

I agree Sarge, no Comm. Games again please, it was a joke!

Reply #75298 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Ive got my idea of who the WC boomers should be......

CJ Bruton
Aaron Bruce
Brad Newley
Luke Kendall
Jason Smith
Sam Mackinnon
Neil Mottram
Matty Neilson
David Anderson
Chris Anstey
Andrew Bogut
Luke Schenscher

just get em to calm down on shooting treys and pound the ball inside and that'l b a nice team..............

sammy mac should stay on the team for the duration of his natural life!

Reply #75300 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

even tho i like bruton, his position is interchangable with Stephen Black should he descide his back is good! Luke Kendall may have his position taken by a healthy james harvey.....Schenscher would seriously be like my 3rd wheel center....potentially good but used sparingly as Bogut, Anderson and Anstey are already leagues ahead of him and bulkier. Sam Mac, Neilson are fearless penitrators.... Aaron Bruce is a no brainer and possibly a starting point.... he would lead the NCAA in assists if only baylor was good....Hopefully next season sees a new crop of players in the NBL.... (ingles etc) so maybe we can keep the AVG age of team well under 30.

what do yall think?

Reply #75302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that if you people are so good you should form a break away Boomers squad and contest the world champs .or just shut up

Reply #75305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why no time to Holmes ? Was he sick or did he just sign with the wrong club ?

Reply #75306 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Like your team for the WC hurley, but at the moment Andersen has a serious leg injury. My team:

CJ Bruton
Brett Maher (we need the savvy vet)
Brad Newley
Luke Kendall
Jason Smith
Sam Mackinnon
Daniel Kickert
Matt Neilson
David Andersen (if fit)
Chris Anstey (if he decides to play)
Andrew Bogut
Luke Schenscher

Reply #75311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see a NON NBL coach in charge of the Aussie team.

As BG just picks his own team.

Reply #75313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definately kickert....how far is patrick mills from at least an invite to trials? matthew knight?

Reply #75320 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Bugger, was really hoping for NZ to win! How much bigger than Australia winning GOLD would that have been for the NBL?

And yes, heard Heal say the team were shooting too many threes... and laughed myself silly! Also heard him say next play that the ball needs to be kicked out after penetration for shots - seriously, this guy's only aspect of a basketball game comes from behind the arc.

Reply #75325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did NZ have Marks, Dickel or Penney?

Reply #75326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jake probably didnt get any time cos goorj was pissed off that he signed with dragons and not sydney

Reply #75331 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Brett Maher retired from internatiopnal basketball ... otherwise gorjian was planning to add him to this squad, but i agree id take Maher over any of thoes guards twice over.TR i dont think there should be a boomers team without Bruce, hes the best aussie point guard without question... would lead NCAA in assists if Baylor could shoot... good penitration-kick.

Reply #75333 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

Coach BG just doesnt feel the love from his team. he has made a few calls to finally get the team that he wants on the pine.
Frank Drmic
Robert Rose
Chris Anstey
Tony Ronaldson
Darren Lucas
Mike Kelly
Sam McKinnon
Bruce Bolden
Mark Watkins
Scott Ninnis

It is important to have people you trust on the court.

Reply #75334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac, Australia was missing some key players but so were NZ.Both teams were missing NBA players. Great game, but i think New Zealand deserve more credit than people are giving them. Also Shane Heal is a terrible commentator!!

Reply #75340 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

What did people think of Dennis Commeti's commentary? I was a fan of it.

Also, did anyone else notice that in the Commonwealth Games, they used 3 man officiating, whereas at the Olympics, they use the standard 2 man officiating?

Reply #75374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis commeti should commentate the NBL in the off season of AFL.

Used some basketball language and teams up well with shane heal.

Maybe Fox could do this:

Steve Carfino+John Casey
Shane Heal+Dennis Commetti
Andrew Gaze+Clinton Grybas

Maybe 4-5 matches a week on FOX would be SWEET as!

Reply #75379 | Report this post

Stand up  
Years ago

The most obvious deficency (aside from the lack of bigs - which will be fixed with everyone available) was that we lacked experince and leadership in the backcourt. CJ Bruton went hiding for much of the game and did not organise our offences - when he did have the ball in his hand he was head down with too much dribble. Also the decision making from the guards was woeful for most of the game. We need someone to stand up and lead the team.

Reply #75445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fiba has gone 3 man

Reply #75450 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I can't believe Holmes didn't get any time!!
Seriously, he plays well in the pool games, and doesn't get any time in the finals. I loved it when he came on against England(which I was at!) for the last six minutes and outscored half the roster.
Goorjan has to go, he just runs his favourites and if we lose with them, so be it.
Kendall shouldn't have played a minute after his 16th point against NZ, was just jacking up absolute crap, and Goorjan didn't seem to care.
If Goorj takes either Kendall or Worthington(or Ronaldson) to the Worlds, then he is a bigger tool than he looks.

Reply #75477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holme got a lot of time then the only match he didn't was after Holmes signed at South Dragons not Sydney.

A coincidence?

Definately not!

Vote 1
Goorj being dumped

Reply #75501 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Totally agree anon, but as I was in Melbourne, deprived of a computer(and for some reason didn't read about it in the papers), I couldn't be sure if he had actually signed, although the thought did cross my mind more than once.

Reply #75537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vote 2

Goorj out!

Reply #75563 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, no - they did not play.

It was the best of the Australian NBL v the best of the NZ (A)NBL players + Pero Cameron.

Which is why it was so poor that the game was that close and that NZ were able to rip up the court so easily.

If NZ had any of its good international level players, the Boomers would have an excuse for the poor level of basketball played.

Reply #75565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754