unknown
Years ago

mars stadium

just wondering is this true. i have heard from a freind that norwood dont have a home ground any more coz basa took the mars away from them. cant someone tell me is this true or if you know anything about it. cheers

Topic #672 | Report this topic

Magarnigal  
Years ago

Heard the same rumour!!

Reply #6623 | Report this post

Mattus  
Years ago

That rumour has been going round for the last couple of seasons. Will be interesting to see if it actually happens this year.

Reply #6624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where will Norwood go then?

Reply #6628 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Apparently this is true.

They will just play wherever they fit, basically. Office will be their President's spare room.

I believe there's a Q & A session at St Martins tomorrow.

Reply #6629 | Report this post

Omar  
Years ago

They said the same about morphett vale last season...same s**t different smell if you ask me!!!

Reply #6634 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

To clarify, MARS has never been owned by BASA, nor Norwood, it is (I believe) a privately-owned complex. A few years ago there were some legal disputes between the two parties (2001?), however, Norwood stayed at MARS. Norwood and MARS are no longer in agreement however. Norwood's office will remain where it has been for the past year and a bit(?). Norwood for the time has no 'home' basketball stadium.

All Norwood parents and players will have received a letter detailing the seperation / announcing Rupert's signing.

Reply #6637 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Does that mean BASA will not be playing games at Mars either?

Its one thing for Norwood to lose MARS as a training venue, the only time it was used for trainings was sundays anyway but its another thing for the relationship to have degraded to the stage where MARS will not be used for BASA games on a Friday night or ABL games during the season.

If thats the case its a very bad outcome for the MARS ownership, Norwood, BASA and basketball in the North Eastern suburbs. The relevence of MARS as a basketball venue was because Norwood/BASA games were based there, so it does not make sense as to why both sides could not come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

A couple of years ago it was a "done deal" that BASA had purchased MARS and Campbelltown leisure centre and were just going through the "final figures" as part of its due dilligence. Its interesting how things change.

I really do feel for the Flames, as they are a great bunch people that have put in a huge effort of many yrs to get their "own" venue. Its just lucky they have some good news in the signing rupert to hold things up for a while, otherwise I fear the worse could have begun to happen for them.

Is it just me or is there a growing gap between the Southern based clubs (EG Southern, Forestville, Sturt) and the Northern based clubs?

There are probably more players to attract and pick from in the North as it is a younger area so I think that whoever can get it right in the North has the opportunity to be leader to catch the Southern clubs.

Reply #6643 | Report this post

Jazzman  
Years ago

MARS has been going downhill since the mighty AcidJazz pulled out from both Mondays and Thursday nights a few years ago! ;)

Reply #6699 | Report this post

benny hinn  
Years ago

did someone say St Bernards ?

Reply #6741 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

arparently they wont have a stadium for this next season

Reply #6742 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Benny - won't happen.

Reply #6769 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Libertine, I went to the meeting on Sunday and St Bernards is one option they are looking at. They are thinking about knocking down the stadium and building a new one.

Reply #6777 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

I know a court somewhere in Highbury that would be perfect.

The court has a long proud history of many a hard battle fort (not sure how thats spelt).

The only a few problems:

- the rules are slightly different there and subject to change.

- A distinct homecourt advantage seems to come into play especially when the court is used as a backyard cricket venue.

Reply #6780 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Lommax - cool! Going there would be awesome - although you gotta keep the old fishtank in place! :)

I've always heard there's been strong opposition to that proposal, however, although when times get desperate, desperate people find desperate measures. There's not really any massive chunk of land in the NE suburbs where one could build a huge complex, is there?

Reply #6826 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Incog, I know that court!!!!

You also play with a ball that is 30 years old and has no leather left on it and is half pumped up..

The cricket games are tough there, especially when the home team gets 4 stumps instead of 3 to bowl against, and the distance the wicket keeper can dive increases when you bowl!!!

Reply #6841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FOUGHT

Reply #6845 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

aparently this has already happen

Reply #6995 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

where will norwood play if they dont have mars as a home ground

Reply #7164 | Report this post

can someone tell me why basa and norwood are dumping mars without any other similar class venue available or being built.....it just seems stupid
are they loosing money by using it....or what......i dont envy norwoods position with the obvious restrictions at mars.......but do they have somewhere better to go........think it would be smarter to get the new stadium built before you pack up and leave

Reply #7186 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

think it has to do with the owner of mars not a decision for norwood nor basa to make you can't live in a house if the landlord doesn't want you.

Reply #7187 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i dont think basa dumped it i think that the people that own the stadium dont want it run by basa any more

Reply #7189 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

So whats the latest on Mars.

Was the Highbury court under consideration or has it been bulldozed due to overcheating?

Reply #7807 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

So what's the latest?
Was just looking at next season's programs and there are games at MARS.
Have Norwood lost it as a training venue only?

Reply #8648 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i dunno. ma friend from norwood told me me that there club had lost the stadium. im still unsure tho

Reply #8651 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

if someone could tell us whats goin on i would be very greatful for it

Reply #8652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #8657 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

I attended the meeting and it appears that Chris Nicholls is only getting half of the story. He does not have the balls to join the committee but is able to critisise all the hard work they actually do. If he really wanted to get informed then he should join the committee instead of going behind there back and getting only half the story. In my opinion he is a wanker.

The club has done everything they can to come to an agreement with MARS but nothing has been put in concrete. Therefore the club chose to find something more suitable.

Reply #8660 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

OK, now I'm really confused. The article posted by anonymous suggests Norwood will play all games away, but the junior programs out today suggest otherwise.
So what is going on??

Any Norwood people care to fill us in?

Reply #8663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT??? there's junior programs out?!?!?!?!??!?!?! since when?

Reply #8675 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Yep programs are out, go check with your club. They were sent today

Reply #8677 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

are the programs on the web yet?

Reply #8686 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

im confused bout this whole topic now

Reply #8690 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

BASA distributed the full program for Friday night junior competitions to the clubs yesterday. They are not yet up on SportingPulse, but they are available on the Sturt web site.

Reply #8691 | Report this post

indiana  
Years ago

the sturt website has all the fixtures up except for under 20 boys div 2. whats with that?

Reply #8692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they definatly accurate??

Reply #8695 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

whats sturt web site then?

Reply #8696 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Click on the blue link at the end of Paul Arnott's post, and you'll find your way there!

Reply #8701 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

cheers

Reply #8705 | Report this post

Dusan Vavic  
Years ago

I have only put on our web site programs that have Sturt Teams involved.
Sorry
I am also having problems putting on the U18 B Div 5 and U18 G Div 3

Reply #8748 | Report this post

not happy jan  
Years ago

u16 girls div 2 - may be some changes - or very unhappy group at the sabres !

Reply #8764 | Report this post

freshprince  
Years ago

Interesting to see Mr Nicolls saying that Norwood is his club when he has not ever been involved with it and his son plays for Woodville. I believe he is there trying to stir the pot and has an overly loud mouth.

Reply #8848 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

try a $20,000 difference of opinion and canteen rights - that's the fall out between MARS and the Flames

Reply #8853 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Gospel that makes sense. The Flames will probably get their stadium, with a canteen etc. somewhere else. What they would have gained from just a training venue would have been nothing.

So if the Flames get their stadium, what will MARS gain? Without the Flames there it will be interesting to see how MARS goes as a Basketball venue. Perhaps someone from Norwoods hirearchy should post the true story here so users of MARS can make their own decision whether MARS is really a supporter of Basketball and prepared to give a bit to get alot.

Reply #8861 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

my source is red hot and not BASA or Flames from what I know -> MARS owners / managers were looking for $20,000 more than what Norwood would pay (?over what duration) - the second big point was canteen ownership -> at this point of time the Norwood have no canteen rights at MARS.

Reply #8865 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

MARS is better than half of the metro stadiums - lighting, courts and seating.

However - who says Norwood will not find a decent venue elsewhere?

why not colocate with North - get rid of Hillcrest and get an excellent stadium for two of our premier clubs ?

kill two birds with one stone !

Reply #8866 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

gospel it would be interesting to know where your info is coming from!

freshprince is on the ball...I don't know why Mr Nicholls of all the parents involved in teh club was interviewed or questioned?!

Reply #8875 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Libertine i wouldnt be suprised if Mr Nicholls approached the messenger??

Reply #8901 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

y do North get a new staidum before woodville? it doesnt matter that there a bigger club, the fact is that when Athol Park was sold, the promise was that the warriors would have a new stadium within a couple of years?? (athol park also had the best courts in adelaide, dont worry about the rest)Honestly, wholikes playing at the dome on a friday night, when your the last game going, an there is more players then supporters. I can understand norwood now needing a new one, but North and the roumor of Southern getting one? BASA has done it again!!!

This is a reply to the GOSPEL post

Reply #8904 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

Paul,

I looked at the programmes on Sturt's site. Are you able to confirm that the U12B1 and U14B1 programmes have been uploaded correctly. U14B seem to have 6:00 games while U12B seem to have later games (generally) which seems differnet from previous years.

Thanks

Reply #8906 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

SAW,

I can confirm that the programs which were emailed to the clubs seem to correspond to those on Sturt's site (ie different game times than is customary for at least U12B1, U14B1 and U16B1 teams, and possibly others too).

I'm not sure of the reason for this change, but it does appear that in most rounds, the division 1 games for U12s-U20s are all at the same stadium.

Reply #8911 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

Paul,

Thanks for the confirmation. I hope the winter season falls back in line with previous years as I had hoped that I could have seen son play one year as I have put up with 6:00 games for the past two years in U12s. Otherwise I might have to change jobs or buy him some footy boots for Xmas!

Reply #8921 | Report this post

Dusan Vavic  
Years ago

To the best of my ability, I feel very confident that the programs I have posted on the Sturt web site are correct. But please allow for human error (and trying a new system on the web site).
In the programs sent out by BASA they did highlight in bold print where the times were not to the norm. I have taken the highlight out when posting on the Sturt site as I wasn't too sure what that would do to the presentation. My apologies, once I am more conversant with the Sturt new site, I hope to have the latest from BASA as soon as I receive it.
Pity BASA don't have a simplified site that programs can be uploaded as they come available or even change.

Reply #8924 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Getting back to the original topic of this thread..
what IS going on with MARS? Is it being used for games or not??
can someone settle this once and for all?

Reply #9039 | Report this post

BASA are still scheduling games at the venue for juniors. It looks like Norwood are just choosing to not use it for their trainings.

Reply #9041 | Report this post

asdf  
Years ago

who cares norwood r gay

Reply #58249 | Report this post

RU1OFTHE4400  
Years ago

13 months to write a response like that. Welldone "asdf"! I look forward to December 2006 for your next post on the subject. Keep it up champ.

Reply #58266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:00 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754