hurley
Years ago

Gorj feared failure

article here... explains a fair bit

http://sportal.com.au/m2006.asp?i=news&id=80196

Topic #6748 | Report this topic

ITA  
Years ago

No wonder we shot so many threes, according to this article post shots were considered threes ;)

"... he unloaded from deep in the post to nail a crucial three pointer..."

"...moments later Smith stepped up once more to land his fourth three of the night from the opposite post."

Reply #75592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just curious but is Hurley the latest Bizzy/Kriss.

How about voicing n opinion rather then posting what someone else has already written!?

Reply #75594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I think when I read that is that it's another case of Australian basketball putting too much weight on something that in reality won't mean a thing, while continuing to completely ignore areas where they should be having an impact. What I'm getting as is the comments about this being a kinda breakthrough tournament/game for Australian basketball. Sure, if they'd have lost it would have been another massive knife in the back of the sport here, perhaps one of the final killer blows even, but if they think winning something like this, while continuing to completely and totally ignore marketing the League and it's stars, is going to make even a 0.01% change to the fortunes of the NBL and Australian basketball.... goodnight then. They may not have noticed, but this was part of a large event that involved many sports, in which the majority included Australians kicking all comers. They are one of a hundred, and not one of the 'stories' of these games. Sure, it's fantastic to see CJ Bruton on the front page of the Daily Telegraph in Sydney - something no Kings championship has done, and it's great to see some basketball and plenty of highlights on FTA tv for a change, but it won't stand out from all of the far greater noise made in things like swimming and athletics. Until the NBL or greater Australian basketball can sell itself, standing alone, it doesn't stand a chance.

I personally don't think anyones expectations for these World Championships should be high, but I like their chances at the next Olympics. That could be the international event to make some noise at. Until then, it rests on the shoulders of the NBL to try and get a King in regular FTA highlights or the front page of the Daily Telegraph (or a Bullet on the front page of the Courier Mail, or Dragon on the front page of the Age etc etc ) for an achievement of their own.

Reply #75601 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I do raise my own opinions, but i found an article on the net that i thought pretty well explains things so i didnt see need to.

Reply #75604 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I agree, i dont think the gold did any harm, lol.... but i dont know that it is the saviour.... it is in a line of other things that are looking -promising for the NBL... only next season results can really tell. Winning gold doesnt make it a boom sport again in Australia, just like i doubt too many people are gonna pick up lawn bowls.

Reply #75606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is possible that some people who caught glimpses of the basketball or those who went to ballarat and bendigo to watch games may become NBL / WNBL addicts.

Gold Gold although I think the standard of competition a farce, should be a good thing with the non basketball population of australia.

I got bailed up by the local deli owner yesterday to get my take on the boomers v nz final. they were enthralled with the game and were really excited at how well we did and what a great game it was!

They don't follow basketball but were hooked during the games.

how many of us become armchair experts at lawn bowls or table tennis during the games. perhaps some of those arm chair experts will become supporters of the local leagues during winter and then the NBL / WNBL over summmer.

Reply #75611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love that about the Games! Every two years, I can sit at home on my couch, watch diving and say "Nah, 7's at best" or "That'll get 8's and 9's". Or, DB with V.

Reply #75622 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

i dont doubt there will b a few new fans but how many will go to games?

Reply #75632 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

You've gotta love this quote from Gorj:

"There was a lot on this game. You felt like this was the Socceroos and what they did for soccer. Everyone was like 'Boom or bust'," Goorjian said.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, the commonwealth games final which isn't being shown on FTA (besides snippits here and there) is the same as 80k people going berserk with several million over the country glued to their tv's and hundreds of thousands the world over frantically refreshing thier internet browser during the penalty shootout. Weeks of front page articles in the lead up and aftermath vs one backpage story the day after the victory.

Yeah, that's the same.

Reply #75676 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

billo im sorry but i dont remember all that

Reply #75678 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

hurley, what are you talking about? Socceroos over Uraguay was massive, huge interest all over the country, media went troppo, ask anyone on the street and they would have known we'd won. Boomers winning commonwealth gold meant nothing to all but the basketball supporting population in Australia. Goorj's comment was ludicrous, there's no way the 2 events are comparable.

Reply #75686 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

But in Gorj's mind, it's as big as the soccer and after all, isn't that what matters? What Brian thinks?

Looking at match-ups and individuals, Boomers had a 20 point handicap, which means Brian lost the game. If he used other players apart from his Kings, might have been a different story.

Do you think Ronaldson was having visions of his 3pt shot from the corner winning the gold?

Reply #75716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754