Anonymous
Years ago

TONIGHT ON TALKING HOOPS

Brett Maher and Paul Bell host tonights show.

Lineup includes:

New Dragon Frank Drmic

Boomer Brad Newley

Re signed Sixer Mark Nash

Sixers CEO Mike Daws

Opal Erin Phillips

Plus your calls on 8371 1000

PS - NBA legend MARK PRICE on next weeks show!

Coast FM - 88.7 - 6.30-8pm!

Topic #6766 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Always impressive. It would be tough to pick five more topical guests for the show this week!

Reply #75732 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Fantasic lineup. Glad Im gonna be home for once on a tuesday to hear it too. Im working next tuesday tho. Need to get someone to tape it for me for Mark Price chat.

Reply #75736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Belly asks Nash to play for the Bearcats this season!

Reply #75746 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Id love to hear someone ring up and ask Mark Price if he'll fill in for the over 35's team that people have been pimping on here !!
SWISH !!!

Reply #75757 | Report this post

Paulo  
Years ago

I need the link to listen on line!HELP

Reply #75801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #75803 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Great show again tonight.

Good on Brett Maher for talking out about what a farce the NBL has become with respect to policing the salary cap.

He noted that cap evasion has been going on for ages and the league in all likelihood does not have the resources to police it.

However, he used the Dragons as an example and stated that Ingles was paid above the rookie salary, Holmes was given a crazy contract, Shanahan and Drmic would both be getting decent salaries, throw in Heal, a couple of decent imports (one of which was rumoured to be a 7 footer playing well in Spain) and they would have to be well over the cap with another 5 players to sign.

In fairness to Maher, he qualified his criticism by stating that spending the money is one thing, but it is not good for the league when after a few years of losses, these high spending owners jump ship and the league lose another team.

He also noted that a few years ago when we were slightly over the cap (ie Derek Moore situation) all the owners were jumping up and down about the 36ers whereas today the league seems to accept that some teams are grossly breaching the cap.

With respect to the 36ers, Maher and Nash were quite careful not to let names slip.

Daws stated that Wheeler was our number one option at the moment but we are competing with the Dragons for his services. Pero Vasiljevic is not a target at present.

Daws was uncommittal when asked about Copeland. He asked for Maher's opinion and both agreed that if Copeland was willing to sign for a minimum type contract he could be of some value next season.

Daws wouldn't talk about other potential targets other than stating that Wheeler was the priority and a decision from him will determine who they target next. Daws sounded pretty confident re Wheeler but who knows.

Daws also cleared up the issue re Nash's two year deal. The 36ers can offer multi-year deals but they have to get the consent of the controller before making such an offer.

Reply #75834 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Of late we are seeing a side of Brett that you wouldn't have seen in the past. The frustration of what's happening around the NBL and indeed his own club is getting to everyone and he is no exception. With regards to the Dragons, I thought in the first year for a new team, they were given a salary cap exemption. For this reason they sign up players that you would never imagine to fit under the salary cap. But having said that, the Dragons are signing players on multi year contracts so its confusing as to how they will fit them under the cap the following year. All I can think of is that they offer a total package for the 2 or so years but write the greater amount up against their first year and only declaring the remainder in the following years. If that is the case, this is where the unfairness occurs. If anyone has any accurate information on this, I would be interested.

Reply #75837 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754