Anonymous
Years ago

Norwoods new gun - Todd Matthews!

the norwood flames have signed guard Todd Matthews for the rest of the 06 season this will only increse the flames fire power.
matthews played 4 years of college. he was 3rd team all american and led the comp in steals. predicting he will fit in back at his old club really well.

Topic #6772 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

game over... might aswell engrave norwood on the trophy already

Reply #75788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last played for Oregon Tech in 03/04 it seems. 9.9 PPG and 6.0 APG, plus 3.3 SPG in 27 MPG.

Reply #75797 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Damn, he's a hard guy to find a photo of. Here he is after Oregon Tech won the 2004 NAIA Division II National Title (on the left):

Reply #75804 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I remember him, bloody quick, quite muscular but short. Can leap like anything too. Player for Sturt as junior? Norwood too?

Reply #75805 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Good to see Todd back. Super player with a huge heart.

One hand on the trophy now!!

Reply #75820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I can guess where your other hand is Dr Damage.

Good pick up, but let not jump the gun. I hope you are correct but let us not forget Campbell is back at the Eagles and Rees at Woodville aswell and they have a strong lineups.

Reply #75825 | Report this post

Beachport  
Years ago

Yea nah hutch is a huge pickup for the flames. The only person or thing I ever saw beat him was actually a personless white shirt. To this day I am sure that shirt still haunts him.

Reply #75826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before you say title to Norwood

Rumor has it starting five in a couple of weeks for Sturt

Maher
Ng
Forman
Gower
Naturalised Import (Name not known)

Dodman
P. Bauer
Shepherd
Hakendorf
Palmer
M. Bauer
Ng

Reply #75829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

naturalised import read copeland

Reply #75831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WRONG

Reply #75832 | Report this post

Norwood rox  
Years ago

can any real Norwood people out there (Lommax???) confirm he is playing this Sat night

Reply #75841 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Not sure. He has been living in Melbourne but rumour has it he was trying to come back and play for Norwood. Hopefully it is true the team has been hanging out for a decent point guard since mellow retired.

Reply #75844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harsh words from Lommax about webber

Reply #75846 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

It wasnt my intention to have a go directly at Webber. I just think Todd will add alot to that team and the point guard is probably the most important position on the court in my opinion.

Reply #75847 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Is this guy a potential Sixers player if he is as good as everyone is saying?

Reply #75849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lommax

do you think its a bit harsh to throw webber to the wind after having him play point the last two seasons. Sort of the same as Sturt not using Shepherd at the point

Reply #75855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe M

He is probably a Brad Davidson type of point guard. Only a small guy but very stocky and great leader on court.

Reply #75857 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Probably a bit harsh but that is basketball. Webber is only young and will probably learn alot from Todd.

Reply #75866 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

you guys ever heard of Christian Bell? IMO he is one of the best PG's going around today, sounds like they're sleeping on him at norwood.

Reply #75896 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

IMO opinion Belly is more of a SG than a PG. He can shoot well and create for his team mates with penetration.

Reply #75907 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Bell couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag. Can anyone out there believe this guy actually hit the court in NBL!? Seems a long way off for someone playing less then half a game in ABL only a couple of seasons later...

As for the subject at hand, great news for the Flames to have Todd back. He should prove a great pick up and strengthen the side whether it be in addition to or ahead of Webber.

Reply #75941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players who have had a few bad years in a row need someone to blame. Point guard is not the only spot they struggled also at turnover slow forward spot (new position).

Reply #75945 | Report this post

Firing up  
Years ago

Webber has shown his versatility this year and is averaging almost 10 boards a game and something like 7 assists. That would be double what norwoods slow forward averaged last year. Webber will share minutes at 1/2/3 spot and the flames will win the title. The new breed of flame is here and I like it!

Reply #75948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully it is true the team has been hanging out for a decent point guard since mellow retired.

It wasnt my intention to have a go directly at Webber. I just think Todd will add alot to that team and the point guard is probably the most important position on the court in my opinion.
Quotes LOMMAX

How would you go about it indirectly?????

Reply #75963 | Report this post

red nut  
Years ago

Give it a rest boys. Todd is a good addition to the team, and will bring them leadership that they haven't had in the past or otherwise they would have been more successful. Webber and Bell are not good leaders. It's proven.

Reply #75984 | Report this post

Norwood rox  
Years ago

so when is Matthews playing

Reply #75993 | Report this post

a fan  
Years ago

forget webber ,forget bell, the hutch man blows them out of the water.watch and learn boys.

Reply #76032 | Report this post

a fan  
Years ago

lommax have u forgotten paul whitford?

Reply #76034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bell has resigned. anyone who knows todd, knows he is a better point guard than webber, his record speaks for itself. one of the quickest guys on the court ive ever seen

Reply #76035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

todd is expected to be in town to suit this weekend

Reply #76036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

todd is expected to be in town to suit this weekend

Reply #76037 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Paul Whitford = class act, on and off the court.

Reply #76055 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Havent forgotten Paul Whitford. He was a SG too and Moses has summed him up to a Tee.

I got confirmation that Todd will be in town for this weekends game.

I have been told that the flames are looking at flying him in from Melbourne each week?

Reply #76056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone thought about how dangerous it would be to have todd and webber together on the court. Would run rings around anyone. Todd can play the point and webber will shoot. Mix in eley itll be an awesome back court.

Reply #76079 | Report this post

choice  
Years ago

webber must of improved since i last saw him at training, maybe he'll be put into his rightful place, the bench, bell runs rings around him, todd will kill this season

Reply #76122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

christian bell has resigned from norwood

Reply #76149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it looks like most people agree with Lommax except for a couple of webbers family members who post under anonymous.

Go Flames!!

Reply #76225 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

So how did Matthews play on the weekend?

Reply #76611 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statistically very similar to Andrew Webber funnily enough!

Matthews: 13, 4 and 8 for 33.5 HSA.
Webber: 11, 3 and 8 for 32.5 HSA.

Reply #76612 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

let me assure you that Todd Matthew has lost very little if any of his speed, and skill, he was simply outstanding on saturday night, and looked like a threat at all times, penetrating at will, and shooting very well for someone who has not played for a while.
the flames really are a threat when him and cooper are both playing.

Reply #76640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todd was a much better defender too

Reply #76646 | Report this post

bald old timer  
Years ago

who said Christian Bell. he can't even do a left hand layup and would struggle in a year 3 spelling bee let alone run a team of adults.

Reply #79251 | Report this post

Mr Matthews is teaching me at the moment. He is an absolute gun and played B-Ball with us and destroyed us

Reply #321038 | Report this post

ned goult  
Years ago

I love u todd !!!!!!

Reply #330968 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sadly Mr Mathews seems to have forgotten to inform his students of the rules regarding the use of the possessive apostrophe. Good to know his basketball skills are up to scratch though.

Reply #331051 | Report this post

Hey anon,
Sorry to burst your bubble but I could bet the world that my English would destroy yours. I've been attending St. Peter's College since I was a juniour and have won the English prize at Saints and internationally where I traveled to England for the World English Title and was ranked in the top 20% of the world. Now let me tell you something, If you are trying to bring down a Year 10 for some crappy grammatical errors where he is at school and just chilling and I'm showing no interest about my spelling on the web then you are just an absolute troll.

Now back to Mr. Matthews, he was versing the school first team in a student vs staff game and he scored the majority of the goals, many steals and just generally dominated the whole team on his own with no support from the other teachers.

And just to set the record straight he can jump, in the tap he was up against a first 18 footballer who is over 6ft and he won it....
Matthews is considering retirement but that's not a wise move on his behalf... someone talk some sense into him !

Reply #331742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ye he's pre noice

Reply #660253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

todd is nutty, but not so much at teaching

Reply #709180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, how did this resurface?????????

Reply #709210 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

https://www.highperformancehoopsnetwork.com/single-post/2018/01/03/By-Todd-Matthews-Capturing-the-qualities-of-South-Australian-youth-boys-basketball

Reply #709211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:06 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754