Isaac
Years ago

Smyth confirms Wheeler, Copeland targeted

ADELAIDE has confirmed it is in discussions with two former NBL stars in Brett Wheeler and Lanard Copeland for the 2006-07 Philips Championship.

Adelaide-born Wheeler, 34 and 208cm, took the 2005-06 season off to fully heal and recover from injuries which had hampered his 431-game career.
Full article
"We're in discussions with a couple of imports but who we go for depends on the mix of our Australian players," Adelaide coach Phil Smyth said. "We've certainly spoken with Brett and Lanard but we've also spoken with a lot of other people trying to find the right mix to complement our group."

Topic #6780 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Why why why?
Both are injury prone and have reached their peak and have almost reach the bottom of the other side of the hill. Should we not be chasing Vasiljevic, Cullen maybe even rucker instead of filling up the bench????

Reply #75860 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Smythe was a great player but hes a bullshit coach and player scout.... both thoes guys are ready to retire

Reply #75861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is playing to his strenth of coaching mature players though.

Reply #75862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is an absolute farce !!
Good quality stuff Sixers !!

Reply #75869 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

The article doesnt say he is ready to sign them rather he has talked to them! If he didnt talk to them he wouldnt be doing his job. The days of having a gun starting 5 and gun bench is long gone - If we got these 2 as replacing Reesy and Oscar on the bench its probably not a bad thing. Then as the article states we keep talking to other players who could slot into the starting line up in place of Dusty and Jacob

One wonders what Phil is expected to do at this time......no news in the media and he gets slammed......comes out to say we are talking to X, Y and others and he gets slammed as well - So come on Hurley what more do you want him to do?????? And dont say give out names of everyone he may have approached......maybe he doesnt want it known exactly who they are targetting at this stage!

Reply #75870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

leave, statman, I'd love to see Smyth go

runs around office screaming off with his head ... me hearties!

Reply #75871 | Report this post

FCC  
Years ago

Statman, what if they were planning on starting Wheeler, Copeland or Nash?

Reply #75872 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Have they said that yet? If they do plan to do that then sure Ill agree that it is a backwards step....but at this stage its all just conjecture

Reply #75873 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

What I would like smyth to do is tell us maybe what they plan to do about replacements for Dusty and Jacob and a decent centre rather than 2 guys we would be lucky to get 40 minutes combined from.

Reply #75874 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

Statman you are right on.
What is Smyth supposed to do.
These two will not be the main stay of the team.(dont need to be a brain surgeon for that)
He knows what he wants but is totally constrained by th BASA situation!
I imagine he is totally frustrated at present.

Reply #75876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Develop Players maybe! Or keep our home grwon players may be a start.Earn his coaching Salary

Reply #75879 | Report this post

my 2 cents worth  
Years ago

Paul Rees may be coming back, he is in talks with the 36ers now.

The problem is, they can't go after quality players as they aren't even spending the full salary cap where other teams are spending well over it.

Reply #75883 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

How do you know they are not spending the cap "my 2 cents"? The sixers continually deny that story. And Boti has never mentioned it either.

Reply #75885 | Report this post

my 2 cents worth  
Years ago

From various sources, the sad fact is that the sixers won't be all that competitive next season. But you will find that over the next few months the team will be sold to a private consortium.

Unfortunately this new group will have the bare with the team that is put together on a tight budget, but come 07/08, I think you will see a completely different organization which will see basketball in SA reach the peak of the late 90's.

Reply #75888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth said on KG and Cornsey last night that if the dragons can offer wheeler a graphic design job on top of basketball he will go to dragons. If not he will come to the sixers.

Reply #75924 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

The Dragons owner Mark Cowan owns a graphic design company. So it shouldn't be too hard for him to find Wheeler a job if he's that keen on signing him.

http://www.cowandesign.com/

Reply #75929 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Dragons are run by Mark Cowan who owns a big design company so, that should make it interesting!

Reply #75930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The beauty of a basketball franchise been privately owned.

Reply #75932 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

is it just me or is hurley really Barney111 from Ozhoops the same amount of bs is flowing from him

Reply #75981 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

According to the NBL any job with a company associated to an NBL franchise the income for that job paid to a player comes under the salary cap. Be interested to see how Mark Cowan covers that if it is true.

Reply #76045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754