charlie
Years ago

Shooting licence

When you put up 30 shots in a match, you are bound to hit a hot spot at some point during a game and at times, you will have an absolute blinder where you simply cant miss.
when is the licence exploited? how often is that extra pass being ignored? what if another player hits 3 threes in a row, do plays get run through him or is there only one or two players per team that has the licence? how often do these 'special' players put up junk and get away with it? these players can win you games but how many games do they cost you?

Topic #6782 | Report this topic

hurley  
Years ago

i know what you mean! think Michael Redd (bucks fans) ......... theres this one guy on my team throws up bullshit and NEVER hits... no one says a word! i hit about 50 percent of my shots... throw up a hook shot that doesnt hit and i hear about it as we run to defence!

Reply #75882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

see South ABA Damien Scanlon. It looks like he has the lisense of all lisenses. I saw them play against Norwood and I don't think Ive ever seen so much crap thrown up in one game.

Reply #75894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All true, it is all well and good to see these players getting their points each week in both the mens and womens comps, but you have to look at percentages and see how they are getting them... some shockers. I think they get their satisfaction in getting their names in the paper thinking they are great.

Reply #75910 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I agree it can be annoying seeing these players jacking up shots but its not always their fault. for example if they are on a team who looks to them to score and doesnt have many offensive options, taking those shots, wether they make it or not may be the best chance the team has to score.although this is not always the case and some players do just play for stats

Reply #75917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my view if you hit a 3 playing good team offence, you have a license to start jacking up 3's but only until you miss. Once you miss, then it's time to start playing the team offence again.

Reply #75921 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I always love to quote John Stockon "Guy who passes the ball gets a ride home".

You make more friends on the court passing and letting others score than taking all the shots yourself.

I remember reading a story about Earvin Johnson in high school. He would score ALL the points. Coach was happy, players were happy, but parents weren't happy that Earvin was taking all the shots. So coach changed offence, every other player got to shoot, Earvin grabbed rebound and scored. Same result. Earvin scored all the points, coach happy, players happy and parents happy.

Of course, anything except ABA, priority should be on fun and friends. In ABA and above, "shooters conscience" should always be activated and utilised, hot shooter can win games.

#75921, I like that theory, the "heat checker". You make one 3, so take next one, no matter how difficult or far out, just to see how hot you are on that night!

Reply #75928 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

coaches need to respect the abilities of all players in the ABL and be given the conditional licence that has been mentioned. too many ABL coaches are still coaching as if i highschool where there is one rule for the 'star' and another for the rest.

Reply #75937 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Charlie, not sure if you're talking about a specific example or player, but what fans don't see is behind the scenes, especially trainings. If a team trains on Tuesday and Thursday nights and a particular player absolutely lit it up from the arc all training long, then licence will be given for weekend's game.

Reply #75944 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

to the detriment of the team? other players can score and be just as damaging if given the opportunity. if offensive discipline isnt acknowledged by ALL players, opportunities can be lost. if you put up 5 bricks when there were 5 opening passes that could have been made, player and coach need to take responsibility. other players are getting quite ticked off.

Reply #75951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turning this around 180 degrees. What advice do you have to change a junior who consistently passes the ball off. He is more than a capable shooter but rather than be seen as a "hog" will pass the ball when he has just a good look at the shot when compared to the recipient of the pass.

Reply #75967 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Tell him to be a good passer you need to be a good scorer first.It's easier to get assists when the defence is trying to stop YOU from scoring and giving you the defensive attention a scorer deserves.

Reply #75970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I looked up Shooting Licence in the dictionary. The following description was shown:

Allen Iverson - NBA, Philadelphia 76ers

Reply #75974 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Nothing should ever be done to the detriment of the team, but any detriment is usually determined by the coaching staff who may have other issues unknown to fans to consider.

In response to the player who always passes, I would respond that by not taking open shots, he is denying his team mates the joy of racking up assists. If he enjoys getting assists, then he should allow his team mates the same joy.

Also, if he always passes, easy to scout, means his man can double the best player and leave him wide open knowing he won't shoot.

Like everything in basketball, it's about overall ability, shoot, pass and dribble, left hand, right hand, offence, defence, have to be able to do it all.

Reply #75977 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

ABL. most can do it all. as said before, coaches need to recognise that it is not high school

Reply #75988 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Well, it is and it isn't. End of the day, take away money, fame, attention etc, you're still coaching human beings who love being the best, love being recognised for achievements and love to win. Same with children. They all want the glory on court, whether they admit it or not.

However, unlike high school, ABL players understand bigger picture a little better, maybe they're quite happy to put their fate into a shooters hand each night, knowing they'll win more than they'll lose?

Charlie, you sound like you've suffered personally from a "one pass one shot" mentality, or get frustrated seeing it in ABL?

Reply #76003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

T-MAC
Kobie
MJ
you ever see them pass, any one who can drop 50 60 plus with ease has a liscence which will never be provoked

Reply #76004 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I'm assuming that by provoked you mean revoked.

Reply #76052 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

People are forgetting Ben Fitz.... Swear the boy found his licence to shoot the rock on the bottom of a fruit loops ceral box. Probably the same place he found his drivers licence.

Reply #76101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And his car. I think DC's mobile phone is probably larger.

Reply #76103 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I remember the days of the Mazda and the white Gem. I look back at those days and wonder HOW carnage wasn't committed on the roads.

Reply #76113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wish i could somehow acquire one....i think the key is not to look at the coach after you shoot a shit shot and are running back in D.

Reply #76539 | Report this post

tigergirl  
Years ago

(#75970) That message was saying to be a top shot and make sure u take or look at the shot before passing.

I no im only 14 but i play and pass more than i shoot and i am a reasonable shotter (sometimes) But if i am and like the elbow lets say or 45 and i could shoot it and miss but if i see a pass that most probably would be better as an easy lay-up then and outside shot that might hit or might not.

I say to the parent or coach concernd in (#75969) talk to the boy and ask him why he wants to pass more it is probably because he is scared that he is going to miss but go early to games and help him out try and get his confidence up and that game might change he might not be on the score bored as much but i think if u help in an assist that is a good job well done! An assist is more confording then shooting and missing or making.

Reply #76543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754