Kent Brockman
Years ago

Funny Sixers out of the Entertainment Centre?

Seems the privitisation could well be happening, going against my previous thoughts.

My mail is that the sixers will be playing out of the Ent Cent next season with the draw being made at the moment with this in consideration.

Topic #6811 | Report this topic

come to the party  
Years ago

ENT = ear, nose, throat ??

ENT centre ???

Reply #76199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, what's left for the Dome? Fill it with water and stage mock sea battles as I've suggested before?

Will be interesting when the reason for this possibly happening starts to get out.

Reply #76203 | Report this post

Mr Blackwell  
Years ago

Channel 10 news last night said that 36ers could play their home games at the Entertainment Centre as the State Government reviews the Basketball Association's finances.

Reply #76204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets just change our name to the Bad News Bears.

Reply #76205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The reason they'd be making the move is one thing. The notion that they need to get out of the Dome while the government reviews their finances is another, and I can't see the link personally.

Reply #76209 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I have racked my brain and can see no reason why this should happen?

* We are not having Sell Outs

* Surely even if privatised it would be more expensive to hire the Ent Cent than the dome.

* The atmosphere would be rubbish at the Ent Cent with the crowd being further away from the action.

* What pub would I go to after the game?

Can someone please give me some idea (just one reason) why this would be a good idea?

Reply #76212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Ent Cent is closer to something...

I just can't see what would happen with the Dome. It's not ideal for junior games though I guess it could be modified to house two courts fairly well. Just seems such a waste!

Reply #76216 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Dome Doomed?

Only reason would be if Dome is to be sold to reduce/eliminate debt. The "theory" being that the additional venue hire costs may be be less than the costs of servicing the existing debt.

Reply #76217 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It takes me 5 minutes to drive from the Ent Cent to the Dome.

Was there any particular reason mentioned on the News last night?

Reply #76218 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Skip, as I do after every United game - head to the Land of Promise.

Friendly staff, cheap schnitzels, cold beer. And if the Sixers lose, you will forget about it in a jiffy!

Reply #76222 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

Maybe the Dome will be converted to a new indoor swimming centre- it certainly has potential for that - and carparking too, water side pools outdoors etc.

Reply #76228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you saying that west end would buy the sixers and the ent centre is across the road

or the pickard group is buying and it is then closer to the adelaide united set up at hindmarsh stadium

Reply #76232 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

playing out of the ent centre would be crap not designed for sport and no seating close to the courts

Reply #76239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lion Nathan is a New Zealand consortium and they own West End brewing, I can not see them being interested in buying the Adelaide 36ers and I am not sure but Rob Gerard doesn't even have 100% control of clipsal any more does he?

Coopers Brewing is just down South Road and they could be interested in buying it as a South Australian heritage thing?

The way I see it at the moment, and this is just my opinion the State Government would be saying to the BASA during the meeting to recoup there money that playing the Sixer out of the entertainment centre is a logical and viable option. If we (the South Australian government) have to we will sell the Dome, as it may not be as profitable as we anticipated and we will find it hard to make a profit to regenerate the money we leant you. The state government are showing Basketball SA that they have option and are simply not limited to keeping the Dome because that where the team plays.

I would still be banking on Sixer home games to be played at the Dome but it is not out of the question that the Entertainment centre could be used

Reply #76245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way private company will buy a sporting team in Australia. They may sponsor it but they would not be interested in the inherint risk of owning a sporting an organisation and locking themselves into such a liability outside their core business. SOmeone from the Coopers family or Brenton Higgins, Gerrard, Pickard or some individual may buy it but not their company.

Games out of the entertainment centre would be awesome. Better marketing - put signage up on port road, more central, easier access, nearer town, better corporate facilities - need i go on.

Reply #76268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Better sound and lighting also.

Reply #76271 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

yeah, Because that works so well in Sydney! Their 3000 each week was amazing.

Reply #76273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the dome is the 6ers place, the wood stands add to the atmosphere, its build with bball in mind and its their home. The Entertainment Centre is too sterlie.

Reply #76304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The entertainment centre wouldnt bother me, you have the Gov across the rd for after game drinks, the dome will prob be pulled down and it will be made into a new housing development?

Reply #76306 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Wasnt it once a a dump? I didnt think housing could be built on the land for that reason.

Reply #76308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if it was a dump but im sure they can fix the land. Its a shame though, the powerhouse / dome was great. Bring back Apollo stadium!!

Reply #76356 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Reply #76359 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Marketing wise the ent cent would be much better than the dome.
Alot of non bball fans i talk to wouldnt have a clue were the dome is.
Most of the EC facilitys are way better than the dome,not sure about parking though?
As mentioned the down side to the EC is the seating on the floor level,a bit flat compared to the dome.
Found this pick of inside the ent cent ,set up for wrestling,photo by holden v8.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Reply #76364 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Um I think you will find that the court is much larger than a wrestling ring and that that flat seating is the floor in which the court would be placed :-)

Entertainment Centre has been considered for many years and at least twice that I know of was oh so close to happening only last minute decissions (saviour's) saw the sixers remain at the dome.

Reply #76383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will be stupid if it goes to the Ent Cent. I wouldn't renew my season ticket.

Reply #76389 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Well they wouldn't do it for the fun of it, they would only do if it would improve the financial situation.

It's a good venue, I'm surprised there are fans that would stop going just because they played there.

Reply #76391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the dome, I think it would lose it's atmosphere. And I like my seat at the dome, would be a shame to lose it when going to the Ent Cent.

Reply #76392 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Advertising the game would be better at the Entertainment Centre. By having permanent posters up, it would be viewed by everyone going there regardless of what they are going to see. Basketball would be exposed to people who normally would know nothing about it. It may even tempt them to try and see a game.

Reply #76402 | Report this post

E - N - T DINAMITE!!

Reply #76428 | Report this post

Hey at least most of the Enter Centre seats are padded!!!

Oh, and I believe the boxes and services will be 10 times more improved!!

Reply #76429 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

The dome needs to stand out more, the sign at the entrance rivals that of bus stop signs. Get a huge sign on the other side of the road saying "Hey Come In Here!' might help,

Reply #76466 | Report this post

Sir Lance a lot  
Years ago

well...the Dome would be a great place to play dungeons and dragons...or woodville could buy it cheap, say $100.00

Reply #76483 | Report this post

Backstroke  
Years ago

You'll still be able to go to the Dome, just instead of Maher & Farley it might well be Thorpe & Hackett!!!

Reply #76487 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754