Isaac
Years ago

Funny Boti: Sixers set to bounce back

A well-timed two-page spread from Boti Nagy graces The Advertiser today. He talks extensively with Phil Smyth to answer a few of the questions fans have had. Newley, Ingles, development, age of signings, Dix, private ownership, etc.

The full article isn't online, but you can get a fair idea.

» Sixers set to bounce back

NAGY: If Wheeler, Copeland and a new import happen, we're still a piece short aren't we? Hill, Copeland, Nash, Cooper give a great bench - Maher, Farley, an import, Wheeler only makes four starters.

SMYTH: I think Brad could develop into a starter, Nashy could start. There's even a chance Copeland could start.
Is that a suggestion that other than another import, they aren't looking at any more starting-calibre players?

Smyth names Brad Gerlach and Matt Sutton as future prospects who will be part of the Sixers program this year. Obviously Gerlach was involved last year, but I think Sutton is a very good inclusion.

Topic #6812 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

You do get the impression that there is no plan to use the 2nd import spot at this stage.
Which makes it look as though we at this stage only have 3 potential starters in Maher, Farley and Wheeler.
He seems to be quite defensive throughout the whole interview as.

Reply #76208 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It implied to me that an import was on the cards, but they'd still need to start Wheeler plus one of Nash, Copeland, Cooper or Hill - these are all players who'd come off the bench on other teams. Maybe Nash, though unless the import is an out-an-out scorer, I think our offensive output would drop a touch - the import would be picking up Dusty's role AND the difference between Holmes and Nash.

I had heard an import named and hopefully they'll still get him, but we'll see.

Reply #76211 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Come on Issac... a clue. Current NBL Import or someone totally new?

Reply #76215 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

The story 's continued on the next three threads below that one (in The Advertiser).

Reply #76219 | Report this post

EZEKIEL  
Years ago

yeah cmon issac, who is this import?
has he played in the league before?
But more importantly, is he a big man?

Reply #76236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i get it is everyone elses fault but Phil's

Reply #76237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One of the imports they're looking at is a big man, but I'm not sure if the Wheeler signing changes their focus. They're looking at three options and of the two names I've heard, both are decent.

Reply #76249 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Have you heard any rumours if they are looking at adding anymore Australian contingent to be added Isaac? Like a small forward starter or a back up PF Not just development players?

Reply #76252 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Is Brannen one of those?

Reply #76254 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Smyth introduced Farley too the NBL so he should be able to find a good quality import.

Chris Williams maybe?

Reply #76262 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

The article (which was great work from Boti by the way) really gave me the impression that Nash or Copeland will almost certainly start and that the import will be a big forward. And the import will be the last major signing.

It is an average team. Won't miss the finals, won't make the top 4.

Reply #76272 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

What about Jayson Wells? I heard he's quite keen to come back to Oz...Put Vandenbergh on the team and your assured to get him. Plus Reggie is playing some good ball at the moment and would be a good point guard back up.

Reply #76281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, this aint the nba. There are 12 roster spots and cash is limited they are not going to put a player on a lineup just to secure someone else. Having said that you could almost look at vandenbergh in his own right.

Reply #76289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have been wanting wells back for ages now, he can score is very athletic and can get monster boards. He can loose it temper wise but you can deal with that.

Reply #76302 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti Nagy has kindly emailed me three questions (and answers from Smyth) that were left out of this morning's article by The Advertiser's editors due to space issues:

NAGY: The cutbacks forced on the team cost you people like Scott Ninnis. How significant was his departure?
SMYTH: Losing Scotty was huge for us. He was our link to the ABA, he was close to the players and that's quite apart from his coaching, his preparation of tapes and slicing tapes and statistics and all the other stuff that goes with his job. The individuals (sessions) at training.
Right now, we've targeted Kevin Brooks for that job if the funds became available. We think KB would be absolutely fantastic but it's contingent on funds becoming available.

NAGY: Three championships in five years to 2002. What's happened since?
SMYTH: I personally hold two people responsible for our downturn and always will. Neither of those two people were only on the 36ers board. In fact, had it not been  and they've copped a fair bit of unfair criticism  for the 36ers board, the team would have dissolved two years ago.
When people care about their own agenda and not the game, that's when it's most difficult.

NAGY: How hard is it to attract players now with the perception of a crisis in SA basketball?
SMYTH: You talk to Jacob, Oscar or Dusty and they've seen the program wind down over the past three years. There's an uncertainty for sure.
But in the end it's going to be a terrific thing for the club. Right now the uncertainties weigh heavily with players so now you have to use your program's credibility. We have our credibility as coaches, we have Brett Maher and others. A potential new player has to think he's prepared to take a chance. The people who have been here have said they still believe in that but they've seen the damage that's been done and they want to try something else.

Reply #76316 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

A Hoops exclusive. Love your work Isaac. You can see why the editor chose not to include those questions, but it's nice to get the truth on here.

Reply #76321 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

issaac can you post the whole article please..now based in Perth, i dont see the tiser everyday..would love to read it all

Reply #76322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I personally hold two people responsible for our downturn and always will. Neither of those two people were only on the 36ers board"

Who is he talking about?

Reply #76323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blame, blame, blame
It's not MY fault.....

Smyth can't go to an ABA game or run individuals? If this is the attitude throughout the whole interview, it's time he went. Takes no responsibility at all, and apparently seeks no accountability.

Please....

Reply #76325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

76323, make your own assumption - I don't want names on here.

"me" - it's all on The Advertiser site if you browse around. Though Boti is pretty relaxed about his articles personally, his employer might not always be so - there are copyright issues with posting entire articles.

Reply #76327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Adelaide my need another team.

One ran by Phil and Boti and one for the true basketball lovers.

Reply #76333 | Report this post

Buck stops with the coach. How can board members possibly be influencing team performance?

The 6ers performance will be one of the worse in yrs this yr. The people that smyth blames have moved on. The decline of the roster has occured since they have moved on.

Coaches have to deal with the hand they are given and if they cant perform they should move on. You dont see the coaching staff in cairns, NZ or the dragons blaming other people. If its too hot then get out of the kitchen or take on at least some accountability.

Reply #76340 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

(#76333)

I know what team I would be backing and it would have 2 very knowledgeable basketball people behind it. .

Great article and a very good read Boti (if you read this), thanks for the extra questions Isaac

I found lots of the answers to be honest and refreshing, I wonder if Joe Ingles knows the meaning of the word 'Integrity', Brad Newly did what was in his best interest but Joe Ingles allegedly gave his word to two different NBL programs, in the end nether gave enough money by the sounds of it.

Reply #76342 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

So Joe changed his mind. So what? We all do from time to time. And considering he hadn't signed a contract, he was perfectly entitled to do so. He obviously wanted to play for the 36ers so it makes you wonder what went wrong.

Reply #76348 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joe - the contrasting offers between Adelaide and, say, the Dragons couldn't have been stronger. Maybe Joe indicated that he was interested in signing with the Sixers, but until his signature is on the contract, he's not held to that and I don't blame him at all for turning down what was (potentially) a development spot outside of the ten to take on a guaranteed place in a rotation at a proper rookie salary.

Reply #76351 | Report this post

it is interesting. phil talks about perception and reality. perhaps what phil perceives the players think of him and what the reality is could also be 2 different things.

Reply #76352 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Fair enough as long as Joe Ingles can live with the decision he made. I sure he will be fine.

Reply #76355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it rude that phil implies joe renegged on a deal. Work at a gas station and train with the 6ers in adelaide or go to a program where he can work on his basketball fulltime, under an nba legend with huge international contacts with up to 3 highly rated assistant coaches and with the strength and conditioning coaches etc.

Reply #76358 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

Joe you are too harsh, if you were a young gun or had as a manager or a parent a young gun you would be after what is potentially the best for him/her.

basketball is not realistically a full time job for most, and certainly is not a career. they have to make as much as they can when they can.

I would take the townsville/dragons offer to where Scotty Ninnis turned up coaching. If Ninnis had still be with Townsville possibly Ingles would have signed with them.

It has been said time and time and time again, the youngsters weren't being developed here. Why would you sign to sit on a bench here for limited minutes yet get better playing time elsewhere plus more money.

from very reliable sources, Smyth has the perception of being two faced, and for that reason many ex players won't return, and some juniors chose to go elsewhere.

Reply #76360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't buy that, Smyth has done wonders with the 6ers and we HAVE seen the return of past players, Kevin Brooks, Martin Cattalini, even Rup wanted to return, however, as is always the case with the NBL, money talks!!!!!!

What are you basing this accusation on? If the source is so reliable, tell us who it is.

I doubt this source has coached a team to multiple NBL titles.

Until our basketballers can all be payed large wages, we will always see the revolving door of players.

If someone is getting paid $60000 and then is offered $90000 to go elsewhere, it is too good to turn down. If, however, we are talking $160000 and they are offered $190000 it would not be as clear cut of a decision.

Reply #76395 | Report this post

madgame  
Years ago

Well have been doing some research on accusation that players dont like Phil and Steve well anonymous and tonyblair you guys have no creditability at all but obviously some agenda.I had the opportunity to talk to Darnell Mee and he said Phil was the best coach he has played for and if Adelaide could of come close to matching the offers he had he would of been back yesterday,Jacob,Oscarsaid similar Dusty felt Phil saved his career and made him a better player did not want to leave but money was just to good so your to faced line is crap not fact

Reply #76403 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

that would be great to get KB as a assistant coach i reckon.
btw is he naturalised yet??? if we've signed copes he would be equally handy as a back up i reckon, i'd love to see him play again, but given his age i'd doubt it, could he be a player/assistant coach??? but i'd say they would go for a couple of youngsters to round out the roster after the new import

Reply #76406 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Joe M, I normally agree with your posts, but this one, sorry, no way in hell.

No-one re-negs on a contract unless ink is signed on it, the contract wasn't signed in this case by the 36ers, so their loss, and what a big loss it could/would be.

Opportunities rule with the younger players and if your given a word that you will be in the Top 10, especially when the 'other' offer is Top 13 (in Adelaide = no chance of playing) then you have to go with the better offer for the development and greater good of your career.

Basically the Dragons and Joe's gain, and the 36ers loss. Something which has been a regular occurance recently.

How anyone can say that Wheeler and Copes signed is a positive then needs their heads read. They would be been better chucking that money at ABL players and hopefully finding a 'diamond in the rough'. On another note, I'd quite happily have my toilet paper made of hundred dollar notes which Wheeler and Copes are going to be paid with.

Reply #76413 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

TR, if you want to see the Sixers made up mostly of young development players, go to the ABA games. NBL is another level and people will not pay $20+ to see development players. The NBL is the top of the line as far as Basketball in Australia goes. To play a major part, you have to be at that top level. There are avenues for young players to develop their game and that's not by dominating an NBL team. I cannot see why they can't just train on a regular basis with NBL teams to develop to that level. They don't have to be part of the squad. They can have night time jobs for income while they train during the day, just like university students do to fit in study and work. If they are good enough after a few years, then a position on the team can be offered.

Reply #76419 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Lets stop worrying about guys like Joe Ingles who we didnt get and support the team we do have. Personally with the amount of turn over in players these days im not to worried about missing out on Joe for the time being, as he's young and wouldnt be good enough to start or play a huge role at the moment, and sure its nice to get them young and develop them and keep them for there entire career, but its not guaranteed they will stay anyway, i.e holmes and forman, so lets support the guys we do have and when ingles, forman, homlmes, newly and others become available hopefully we will be able to attract them back, as it would be great to get the adelaide boys, but if we miss out hopefully we can find players who r as good if not better and the 36ers can continue to be successful!! so lets get behind our team even if it is on the old end n hopefully we will see some entertaining and successful basketball!!

Reply #76426 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There is also no point in being annoyed that Adelaide lacks the loyalty to local players because if that loyalty was returned, they would choose to stay here. If the young players choose to play somewhere else, don't blame the club for not doing enough to attract them.

Reply #76430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

madgame - you have to realise that players aren't going to come out and tell fans what they really think. These guys tell their family and friends.

76395 - same goes for you. There are players that will not return to play under Smyth - people aren't making that stuff up! That's just how it is. They're not going to say it publically.

Reply #76439 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Comsidering for the last 4 season running (that I had accessto my research) in the pre season players poll, Phil Smyth has constantly been the coach named as the coach most players outside of ADelaide want to play under.

The comments that players hate Phil, unless supported by some actual evidence should be considered defamatory, and are pure bullsh!t.

Reply #76517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee - If posting Bulls^%t is against the rules then I suggets you dont bother anymore either!

Reply #76520 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

phil was having a cry over the fact that they thought they had ingles. well the fact is nothing is set unless the name is on the dotted line. just because he was training with the team for a while doesnt mean that hes set. reality... phil stuffed it, he didnt persue ingles enough and didnt get an agreement on paper. so thats his bad.

Reply #76530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

info direct from players vs an anonymous poll. yeeeaaah..

Reply #76531 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, you break out that pre-season poll every single time this argument comes up. I, for one, put far greater stock in players and other reliable sources. I hope that the extent of your 'research' isn't just fluffy public NBL polls or what people say in public when they really have no choice.

Look at the recent signings by Adelaide: Nash let go by Brisbane, Cooper let go by Cairns, Rees let go by Brisbane a year after he was being given post-basketball-career advice by the Sixers CEO, Wheeler after a year off recovering from serious injury and Copeland after a very flat year when more than a handful of people are suggesting retirement was an option.

Most of these guys still have NBL in them, I'm not suggesting otherwise, but they're hardly acid tests for whether Phil is a player-magnet, you have got to admit that. Which quality and heavily targeted player is putting up their hand to brave BSA and take a pay-cut to follow through on that NBL survey?

Rogers left part-way through a contract and didn't return. Stiff went to Europe and then went to the Tigers despite saying he would return when by all accounts the money offered was the same. Mee off to Cairns. Cattalini off to Cairns (this is one case where I haven't heard that anything but money was the motivational factor there). Newley to the Crocs, Ingles to the Dragons and rating Adelaide's offer as "7th out of 7" (and don't buy that Daws/Smyth line in the paper about "I don't know where Boti got that info from" - it's legit. Right now, I'd be betting money on Hill moving on next year too.

I think there are the NBL polls and then there's reality.

Reply #76536 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A poll which results in most players outside of Adelaide wanting to play under Smyth as coach is not altogether unfeasible. Sure they want to play under Smyth but not in Adelaide and not under the salary offered in Adelaide. I think the desire to have Smyth as a coach is quite separate to the reality of playing for this Club and type of contract offered. Yogee may not be altogether wrong.

Reply #76562 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm sure that's possible and I'd agree that the financial state of the club is having a big impact also. I think a combination of things are giving the club a reputation - rookies and college returnees especially would be thinking "Hmmm, Newley didn't play for his home side, nor Ingles, Holmes and Forman have left, and Hill could struggle for minutes, something must be wrong."

If the majority want to play in Adelaide, wouldn't the Sixers have agents of quality players knocking down their door? Wouldn't we be negotiating with players that get a slightly more positive response than that received over the years with the signings of Copeland, Wheeler, Rees, Nash, Williams, etc?

I can't think of a single "name" player in the past few years that's been eager to play here. Perhaps our best pick-up of the last few has been Dusty and he was about to give up the NBL and fly home when he got the call.

I just know that there are players who've played in Adelaide and don't intend to return. There must be something going wrong.

BTW, in Boti's article, I think Smyth talked about pre-season predictions having the Sixers at 11th or something? Or did I remember that incorrectly?

(Matt McQuade said 5th. Carfino said playoffs, then early exit. OzHoops forum posters predicted things like: 6th, 5th, 7th, 5th, 7th, 7th, 4th, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th, etc. Only one West Sydney fan and one Hunter fan in a thread of 80 posts predicted they'd miss the play-offs.)

Reply #76565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe M. It is intresting to note that all of the information you are recieving is that Joe Ingles broke a contract. Fact 1, lets see the contract with his signature on. Fact 2, When you are threatened by a member trying to secure your signature, your perception changes.
Fact 3, They are insolvent, and have very little money.
So, Please make sure that you find out the truth before mis quoting a junior who has achieved his dream. Perhaps some support would not go amiss, and if you DONT KNOW THE FACTS - SHUT UP.

Reply #76601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe M, u obviously have some issues about Joe I haha i think perhaps your jealous that your on the internet TALKING about bball, while hes actually getting offers to PLAY bball. Ive seen you a number of times writing negative things about Joe and im pretty sick of hearing your pathetic opinions. So in the future i think if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all!

Reply #76603 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

In post #76342 where did I say or imply that he broke a contract? Hence I must be jealous because I am not getting paid to play in the NBL. Absolute ludicrous statement and far from the truth you have made towards me, I harbour no resentment towards Joe Ingles for taking more money. I simply questioned his Integrity towards some of his previous decisions he may have made; if he can live with what he has done, good luck to him.

Bad luck to the Sixer (poor management decision and far from my POV) if they didn't sign him (he was never legally bound to the club) but if he has said or implied to Phil Smyth that he intends or wants to play for the Sixer and has accepted specialised training (didn't he go to Port Lincoln and train with the Sixer) on his word that this would happen then he has lost his integrity

Reply #76607 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the Sixers had been prepared with a paper contract when they first negotiated with Ingles, I believe they would have him signed today.

Reply #76609 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

JoeM
You dont know what you are worth until you enter the real market.
Joe I would not have dreamed of the dragons offer 3 months a go!
Isaac is right.
They should have stitched the deal before he came on the market and paid a lower price...That business!
I think Phil is also suggesting that some of those business decisions buy "Two people" may have created a poor situation for recruiting?

Reply #76613 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

You are dead right, the Sixer should have stitched him up 6 maybe 9 moths ago but stupidity or poor management didn't allow it to happen.

He would have known that he would be worth a certain amount (comparing himself to Brad Newly) so I disagree with the statement "You don't know what you are worth until you enter the real market".

On the other hand, Joe should never had dealt with the Sixer on an intimate basis and stayed at his local club. He doesn't get put into a difficult position where he has to back away from any agreement (handshake or legal) with the Sixer that he doesn't like.

Basic rule of marketing is know your product and Joe Ingles should have been well a wear of his own ability. Even 9 months ago his parents, AIS coach should have been advising him who to train with, what situation would best suit him and if he has decided that the Sixer is a good option for him he should have got some basketball insurance that they would sign him, until then he should not have trained or participated in any official outing.

Reply #76614 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Joe M,

I don't think Ingles *did* participate in anything official with any club. He went on a 6ers pre-season camp along with Dodman, Gerlach, Madgen etc. to make up numbers for internal scrimmages. I don't think that makes him a 36ers. Likewise, training with the Crocs doesn't make him a Croc. It's a get-to-know-you type of thing for both club & player.

Re : knowing what you're worth, sometimes it's difficult to gauge that. 6 or 9 months ago, the Dragons didn't even exist, so it's pretty difficult for Ingles (or Holmes) to have an idea of how much he'd be worth to that particular franchise. Had the 6ers locked all of these guys up before they became free agents, they'd be none the wiser.

Reply #76621 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

I back Jonno (#76426)!

What happens to all this whinging by the rest of you if Hinder and Helms are signed?

Reply #76635 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hinder has signed with Sydney. And I don't think they can afford two players of that calibre anyway.

Reply #76641 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754