Joe M
Years ago

Brett Wheeler - Welcome back

Brett Wheeler

After 12 months away from the game and rehabilitating his injured ankle and long term back that nearly caused him to go into voluntary retirement via injury, does anyone know how his body is?

Is he 100% recovered from his ankle problem or any long-term back problems that may have him become a liability?

A fit and healthy Brett Wheeler (even 35 year old) would have to be considered an asset to the club and after everything has been said it is fitting that he ends his illustrious career where it started, as a Sixer (hopefully not how it started and on the bench)

Topic #6821 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

Joe are you related to Brett by any chance? What a suck up.

Reply #76328 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

No I am not related to the Wheeler family in any way, I just think it a good reward for him personally that he can finish his basketball career at the Sixers, as long time Sixer fans he was one of my favourite in the early 1990's

Hay, we could have signed someone like Michael Kingma or Marcus Wright (duds like that) at least he is a former favourite son of the club.

Reply #76335 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

A good reward would be to offer decent contracts to younger players rather than let them leave.

Reply #76338 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Kingma might be a dud, but he was smart enough to make more money playing a Wookie in Star Wars than a centre in the NBL.

Reply #76339 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So Joe M - you have obviolusly changed your tune from yesterday when in response to a thread about the Sixers signing Wheeler you stated

"If that is the case then the 36ers are fornicating with us supporters"

so are you happy with the signing or not!

Reply #76343 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Why is it that apart from Maher we tend to lose our quality South Aussies before they hit their prime?

Wheeler left to play interstate in his peak and is returning to finish his career. Rogers peaked in Perth. Bradtke peaked in Melbourne. Holmes and Oscar have left and are set to peak in Souths and NZ respectively.

It must be so frustrating for the coaching staff to put in the hard yards only to lose the rewards. It certainly is as a supporter.

Reply #76349 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

If they signed him to a six-figure sum for 1 year, certainty I will stand by them comments and they are "fornicating with us supporters", Wheeler is not worth a six-figure contract at this point in his career.

Since nobody can verify if the offer was legitimate (not that is a big deal) we have to take his signing on face value, and not speculate on how much he is getting paid, it is not fair to judge him on financial speculation.

I don't need to know nor want to know how much he is getting paid and yes I do think it is good reward for HIM to finish his career in front of his family and friends, and I am happy to have his signature on paper (as he should be judged on performance not price tag)

If your suggesting I am being contradictory, good luck to you.

Reply #76350 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He signed for six figures for one year.

Let's leave it at that because it's a done deal and worry about his performance for the team. He plays for Sandringham tomorrow in the BigV. You'll be able to get results here.

Reply #76357 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

I must say, great to have him back in Adelaide. His last year in Adelaide was good, but he played under a dud coach so this is the reason he left in the first place.

some positive feedback would be nice for a change.

At least Adelaide will be competative this year and then can re build youth next year

Reply #76363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how to post a picture, so I hope this works.

Reply #76367 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Welcome back 'The Wild Thing'

Reply #76368 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

A question needs to be asked on the whole player discussion...

I dont actually care, how old they are, how much they are getting paid, whether they are from SA or timbuctoo.

My question is, will you be happy if an aging team of, foreign, highly paid players brings us another championship?

Also regarding our developing players, did we develop Oscar?...yes and hes leaving, did we develop Jacob?..yes and hes leaving...this is a professional sport...I no longer care who why or where..I just want my 36ers to win the championship again!

Reply #76388 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

me, please elaborate on "my 36ers". Is it just a group, any group with the name 36er's or is it a bunch of players that we have become familiar with and become the face of the 36er's? With your reasoning, you could be supporting any team in the NBL the only difference would be is where they are based. I would have preferred to keep the same players and watch them improve to the extent that they would have become championship contenders. Holmes and Forman had not reached their full potential. In a year or 2 with improvement from these 2 alone, it may have made the difference. They needed to be given the opportunity to do that instead of looking for the opportunity somewhere else.

Reply #76399 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

EC, the players left for reasons of their own.

I believe that the players (Oscar, jacob, etc)who left would've been offered contracts again at teh 36ers.

If the players can get paid better money and/or develop better/faster/more at another club, good luck to them.

Oscar and Jacob hadnt reached their full potential, so THEY CHOSE to go elsewhere.

I live in Adelaide, I barrack for my Crows in footy and my 36ers in basketball - the players that play for those teams are my players, playing for my team.

If you choose to support another team, thats fine. Me - I chose to stick with my SA teams through thick and thin, and i think you'll find a lot of people will. It's not just the players, its the history of the club.

The saddest thing about sport these days is that money drives it along - if you dont win a championship, there is pressure to change the squad. Instant success is the idea, not the hard yards as was the way in the past.

Reply #76435 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Guys, what im sayin is get over it...yes..i would love to have "my 36ers" to be made up of great south aussies and a long term imports who become a part of our town. But this is not reality...and the question remains..if you had the choice, woudl you happily take a championsip from the adelaide 36ers (made up of old over paid foriegners)or would you rather a final position of about 7th/8th filled with young..south aussies kids?

If you chose the latter..all power to you..I respect your passion for the state...however my realistic side says...give me a team that plays great exciting ball and wins me a championship.. ill be singing my way home from the dome again.

Reply #76548 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Or would you prefer to come 7th or 8th and watch a team of SA kids playing for an interstate team win the championship?

Reply #76552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754