PUNTER
Years ago

UNDER 10's & CONDUCT

Why is it that the conduct and behavour of spectators at Under 10 basketball is so bad.
From talking a few different people involved this is one of the worst age groups for supporter behavour. I actually was witness to some it on Saturday. A parent getting up and yelling at two green shirt refs for not calling a little travel. I can understand if there kid has just been smashed to the floor or something like that, but surely a travel call isn't that major.
Anyway the parent was then asked to leave by the UIC after another outburst but couldn't understand why.
The parent then moved away only to comeback and watch the game on a couple of occasions and was then put on report. He then couldn't understand this.
I was not involved in this but could see and hear what was going on.

Topic #6849 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far out, that sounds terrible. For the referees, players, and everyone who had to witness it. Hopefully the club deals with it properly!!
And what is harder to believe is that this all started because of a "supposed" travel. Almost every call in U10s would be a travel if the refs applied the proper rules and did not use their discretion in order to ensure the kids had a good game!! And to refs in green shirts too!!
This is a really sad story and makes me angry too. A previous post on here said that Div 3s aren't running in State Champs cos there aren't enough refs - well this is why!!

Reply #76596 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

And the thing is players at this level aren't even that fussed if they win or lose. Just wanna have fun....ask them!

Reply #76600 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Can I ask where the games was played and who the teams were?

Reply #76642 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

You look at refs in a different ligth once one of your children start umpiring. I was one of those "idiot" parents at times but i have well and truly pulled my head in now I have seen first hand the abuse dished out to kids trying to do the right thing (and earn a buck along the way). On saying that I have a deal with my son that if he is good enough to make it to the NBL one day, Im gonna boo him like the rest of the "Power House" crowd!

Reply #76685 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Good article in the 'Tiser this morning by Pat Mikan about "Ugly Parents" available at http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18703704%255E12428,00.html

Reply #76719 | Report this post

ghost of big kev  
Years ago

the rule for green shirts is quite clear - no intervention directly to them - be questioning or anything - it is all through the head ref

there are a few senior coaches that continue to barrate refs in a detrimental manner - this sets a poor example and many parents and players follow suit

we do have a mismatch at present with experienced refs

morphettvale last friday / saturday had 16 odd matches friday night and 20 odd saturday

2 green shirts together is not an ideal situation

good on whoever ejected the parent - relax and enjoy the game for what it is

Reply #76727 | Report this post

ghost of big kev  
Years ago

just another - everyones says what is bad behaviour - but what is good? - from what i recall paul arnott was exemplary - excellent demeanor

Reply #76728 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

the idea of the "green shirt" policy is simple to understand... NOBODY is allowed to approach the referees, under any circumstances, except for the UIC. if there is a problem, the UIC will discuss it with the referees, and help them train them so that if it happens in the future, it can be fixed. If I was a UIC, and somebody was harrassing one of my "green shirts", they would be out of the stadium without any questions asked.

Reply #76732 | Report this post

crows by a mile  
Years ago

nobody messes with john !

Reply #76737 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

The buddy system I have seen used sparingly.( in fact once in the last year,at The Dome)

Isn't this one of the most effective methods of teaching positioning and Signalling!

This is an invaluable system but the refs could learn to coach the junior refs differently.
They are left on their own too much.
Signally is by far the weakest skill in our state at present.

Reply #76743 | Report this post

PUNTER  
Years ago

Morphett Vale was were the parent getting kicked out happen. It is ideal to have a buddy system or Junior (Green Shirt) & Senior (Grey Shirt or Black & White) on a game but as there only appeared to be 3 Refs in Grey or Black and White it is a bit hard to have one on each court when there is 4 courts running.
In one respect it was great to see so many Green Shirts as it means we have strong numbers coming through the ranks but it would be nice to see a few more experienced refs out there giving the young ones a hand and help develop them.
What are numbers like in other stadiums with the Green Shirt to Gray and Black & White shirt Ratio of umpires

Reply #76822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a coach of under 10's boys team and i've told my parents if they're not happy with anything they come speak with me first. The worst game i have seen was at passadena were the littly kid umpired his first game eva and made the biggest mistakes. I had to call a few timeouts to speak with the ref bout it but she could change anything, i thought she was a good ref tho.
I didn't get teck fould for speaking to the green shirt refs during a quater time and time out, i think it should be ok if you do it nicely and politely. and there should be an experienced ref watching so main complaints go to him. Were talking bout m/vale.

Reply #79556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who has coached under 10's knows that 1/2 the job is coaching the parents.
It is critical to have a coach that does not release emotions on the court, the parents at this level are new and are learning just like the kids. I would bet that in most situations where parents are abusive, they will be following the lead of the coach, if the coach is abusive, the parents will get on board.
Coaches can control these situations, they can focus the players and parents away fron refs.
Clubs control the coaches.

Reply #79826 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Why don't clubs teach their U10's to shake the hand of the refs at the end of each game? This may lead to more respect towards refs as they get older.

Reply #79838 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754