lockstock
Years ago

surprise packets

Just wanted to know what people's 'surprise packets' are this season in the ABA. I'm putting my vote in for Agel Machar from South, who is dominating the boards, and his offensive game seems to be getting better from week to week as he starts to feel more comfortable with his team and team mates. Other thoughts?

Topic #6863 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

How tall is this Agel Marchar guy and where did he come from?

Reply #76729 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

ny tip is for everyone else from south getting to showcase some skills. oh that right, only Scans has that license.

Reply #76730 | Report this post

Shut Up!  
Years ago

Charlie, Have you watched any South games.

If you looked at the stats from Saturday Night 5 other players scored in Double Figures & two others scored 8 & 7 with Scans only scoring 22, but why let the facts spoil a good story.

Maybe Charlie you were one of the Woodville "Defenders" who were torched by Scans for 46!

Reply #76731 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

how many shots does he put up? have been to south games and think scans is a brilliant player and a top bloke but the coach gives him waay too much license. if he is on he is on, but with Kos out and him running the point, i was dissapointed to see so many shots beng put up. Also, South Adelaide needs Anthony Robbins (the massive self help american motivator) to give you your pregame speech cos your starts are a real concern. great comeback, but it is not the first time this has happened.

Reply #76733 | Report this post

g-diddy  
Years ago

New girl from woodville (sorry i cant remember her name) is a big help for the warriors women, Jenine Browne from south is a great pickup for the panthers and Jae Conn for centrals, that girl can flat out play

Reply #76740 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Brooke Sidebotom from Woodville has been great this season.... giving the team some hope for the future.

Reply #76746 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Agel is about 6ft9 roughly, he came from Sudan a few years ago to study here, spend some time at Woodville and since has been at South, with a little stint in Sydney in between for a camp and time off for him to finish year 12. And I agree Charlie, some of our starts have been a concern, while others have been quite good. That's just part of basketball I believe, the 'ebbs and flows' of a basketball game.

Reply #76748 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Is he the guy who looks like Jermaine O'Neal, with the corn rows? Was hanging around Sturt for a while too.

Reply #76751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brooke Sidebottom, Vanessa Michaels & Claire Christie have been great so far this season for woodville. Great to see Desinta Cummins back too!

Reply #76753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

classic. the teams with the 'surprise' players are struggling. I'll take a champion team over a team of champions anyday.

Reply #76756 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

(#76756)

thanks for your opinion.

however, not all teams can be champions nor contain champions.

why rain on the parade of a bit of recognition for the people who are having a good season.

we can not all be Brett Mahers or Erin Phillips.

We may not all have players of the calibre of Screen, Ranford, Vandenbergh, Forman, Ng, Puddifoot.

and for every winner there has to be a loser for in our wonderful ABA competition we don't finish on a draw.

The Forestvilles, Sturts and Norths of our comp have been fortunate to be in the finals consistently in both men and women over the past few years.

Why begrudge some players being talked up? Centrals Women have improved dramatically over passed years, and Woodville women are definately more competitive.

this has to be good for the comp.

Sure they are struggling and are at the wrong end of the premiership tables - and the players themselves would be the first to acknowledge it.

Well done to all the surprise packets regardless if you play for a champion team or not!

Reply #76762 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

Yep doc, that's Agel. When he had corn rows he looked like Jermaine, but he doesn't have them anymore. Agel is a good addition to the South Men with Pilks leaving it left a hole in the rebounding area which Agel is starting to fill nicely. His first few games he seemed a bit rusty down the offence end getting a bit confused when plays were run but he's slowly adjusting. He's also a funny guy letting out loud grunts when pulling down boards.

Reply #76772 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Looks like a good addition from his stats. Decent FG% and plenty of boards. Does he do nasty dunks?

Reply #76777 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't think he's had a dunk yet this year. But in training they are nasty that's for sure. We're trying to get him to throw it down at every opportunity. When he gets that mentality, there will be a lot of sore heads in the ABA. He is obviously still learning the game, but at a pretty alarming rate.

Reply #76784 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Lockstock - you mentioned that he has been here a few years, and in that time has taken tim eoff to complete year 12. How old is he? If he's only 21 or so, he could develop quite nicely!

He'd be close to the tallest player in the competition, wouldn't he? He & Oscar around the same height?

Reply #76785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told that Southern were given his name and no body followed it up, so when South had the chance they grabbed him. Is this true?

Reply #76790 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Hoop Addict - yes he is quite young I believe, but not sure how old exactly. Around 21 would be about right. So he has plenty of years to go, and if he keeps developing at his current rate, well who knows what he could be in a year or 2's time. Quite scary really.
I'm not sure about the Southern rumour, that's a question for them I guess. I think Sturt passed up on him and maybe one or two others.
He and Oscar matched up a few weeks ago. He got in early foul trouble (was knocking on Oscar's 'glass box' a bit I think). they are about the same height, but Agel is a bit bigger physically. He's a very strong young boy. Someone to definitely keep an eye on I think.

Reply #76797 | Report this post

hopefully hes the next hakeem olajuwan

Reply #76801 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

I used to pick big Agel up for training, he has got plenty of stories to tell about his home country, makes you realise how lucky we are.

Definately has a great future, I'm glad to see him back in the league.

Reply #76847 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754