Robbo
Years ago

WHY NEW YEARS EVE

WHY DO WE HAVE TO PLAY NEW YEARS EVE AGAIN???????

DON'T THEY HAVE A LIFE OUT SIDE BASKETBALL, MAYBE THE STAFF NEED TO SEE THERE FAMILY'S A BIT MORE.

Topic #6876 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEAH I AGREE,AND NO ONE EVER HANGS AROUND ANYWAY,COZ THE ENTERTAINMENT IS CRAP

Reply #76872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEAH AND THEY ALWAYS LEAVE CAPS-LOCK ON WHEN THEY POST.

Reply #76873 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Perhaps the same two people without the ability to unlock the caps key?

Reply #76874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NYE game is a disgrace. Yeah, that would bring a lot of young people to the game....pffff

Reply #76878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

new years eve was a good idea at the start but 7 years straight is wearing a bit thin,the entertainment isnt any where as good as it was at first and the bars close to early,if it was every couple of years maybe more would stay.also spare a thought for the staff who get stuck working year after year,last year i would say there was only a couple of hundred people there at midnight,4 years ago there would have been closer to 1000,do the nbl gurus ever attend one of these games or are they on a boat watching the fireworks on sydney harbour!!!

Reply #76880 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

When are they going to put something good on after the game to keep to fans there?
30 people staying for the new year dosen't pay the wages.

Maybe some good bands.

Reply #76889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What sort of bands? I think the problem could be that the crowd is quite varied. I'd guess that it's mostly families with children that stay? What do you want to put on for them? The Wiggles?

Reply #76895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NYE games influences my decision to get a season ticket. I never go to the NYE game so the cost per game for the other is increased just that bit more. Season tickets should have an option on number of games that you can buy. The more games you buy the cheaper it is per game.

Reply #76899 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

The issue with getting a quality band on NYE is the $$$$.

The more popular cover bands such as Clearway or Hairy Lemon demand big money. As some of you know, I'm in a duo called "Acoustically Incorrect" that plays around the pub scene and we had to knock back a $1500.00 gig last NYE because of my 36ers commitments.

It woulda been nice to have NYE off this season...oh well, maybe 2007!

Reply #76901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't mean the game will have a NYE Party after. Finish at ten, then go off to another party. simple.

Reply #76903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't they just have the game start at 9:30* CST and finish at approximately 11:30 CST, people will hang around for 30 mins and then it NYE.

* Games that are played in Perth wouldn't start until 9:30 SA time anyway, so a one of game isn't that big of a difference, I would see it being a problem if the game was delayed until 11:00 pm but 90 mins shouldn't be any trouble.

Reply #76906 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

As someone who has attended previous NYE i am a big supporter of them..except the most recent one..which was...quite simply...very sad.

1)Start the game a little later.

2)provide a dj/band that has some enthusiasm to encourage people to stay.

3) Have the players stay for a little while to sign autographs etc

4) have some competitions/games to keep people occupied

Ok thats just a couple of suggestions, to those people who say, ive got better things to do on NYE...take a good hard look at yselves, do you want to support your team or not, the games usually over before 10-10.30...there is plenty of the year left to go elswhere. geez..stop the whinging, start supporting.

Reply #76909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only problem with starting it at 9.30 is what happens if it goes into OT, could spill past midnight.

Reply #76915 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

The player don't care and don't hang around anymore.
The music they are playing lately sux's.
last years atempt at a band was a discrace.

Reply #76933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hold O/T over until the New Year is counted in then resume the game!

easy peasy!

Reply #76937 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Don't be such a bunch of whingers! It's great fun working New Years Eve, look at the big bucks we get for doing it!!

Reply #76942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

past nye have had bands such as chunky custard and single white female and the crowds stayed,robbo is right,the players all used to stay past 12.00 but last ny were told they could go by 11.30,that was part of the aura of nye games "party with the 6er and lightning players".i know the players have life away from the dome but if the nbl want to make this a success it needs support on all levels,maybe next season we can have a xmas day game,wouldnt that be a hoot!

Reply #76964 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

please no more nye games,if the nbl had any brains they could have made the games sunday afternoon this year,get to go to the game and then go out and party,will be interesting to see the support the other venues get seeing as everyone plays on ny for a change,not just us

Reply #76965 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

having been to all nye games since they started i think they are a great way for a family to go out nye. if only the club could promote a special family ticket for that game. i spend a lot of time at work promoting to families that come in to where i work. i thinks its a great night out if you have a young family.

i am slowly watching my son grow up and every year he wants me to take him to the nye game.

bonz i would stand in for you for that night so you could earn some money. i am going to be there anyway regardless.

it does make it harder if you have other commitments nye. i will be watching this thread with interest

Reply #76972 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Being a Sunday game, it shouldn't be too difficult to reschedule it for 3pm so it doesn't interrupt other NYE celebrations. If the the demand is there from the fans, they may do that. It is a problem when there is consistently a game on NYE and partners or other family members are not interested in basketball. It means each year on that night, the family go their separate ways. That is the problem I am faced with and therefore would love to do away with a game on this night.

Reply #76978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty difficult to force the players to stay until 12 when the coach never has.

Reply #76988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you are complaining you seem to have all the home games on NYE - we are always playing away games on NYE and have the frustration of the Not Bl...y Live scoreboard to welcome the New Year in with.

Reply #76991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you are complaining you seem to have all the home games on NYE - we are always playing away games on NYE and have the frustration of the Not Bl...y Live scoreboard to welcome the New Year in with.

Reply #76992 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I always factor the NYE game in to the season ticket cost. That is, you only get 15 home games each season plus that one on NYE.

I have attended a couple and gone to parties afterwards, and dished off the tickets to other people a couple of times.

Last year, I found out a couple of days into the new year that the people I gave the tickets to decided there were better things to do than attend a bball game on new years, so my seats sat empty.

I think it is a question of whether the basketball is enough of a drawcard to deliberately put itself up against one of the busiest party nights of the year. I am sure some families love the concept, but at the same time, others would prefer to go to the fireworks at Glenelg, Semaphore, the City, TTG, etc, or watch the Sydney fireworks on TV.

My vote would have to go to NOT playing a game on NYE, because I want to watch Sixers games, but also want to accept party invites from friends. And if it comes to a choice, do I go see the Sixers (who I will see 15 other times plus finals this season) or catch up with people I might not see for another year?

Reply #77010 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

I have heard of a band who has just re formed and have a great drummer I believe they have some contact with people from the Dome,and would do gig at a very reasonable cost for exposure,I think they deserve a go!

Reply #77051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there should be a game at the Dome every New Years Eve. Maybe they should play away alternate years or have the game in the afternoon if it's possible. This will then make an 8.15pm New Years game more attractive when it is held once in a while rather than every year.

Reply #77055 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Keep it going guys and maybe someone might take note from the powers above.

I herd that band have a drummer boy with little arms. But anything would be better than the crap we have had the last couple of years.

How many tickets do they give away to this?

Reply #77056 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Lots of interesting comments,get the entertainment at the end right and I bet a lot more people stay,or maybe just make it early and everybody goes home and then on to there own shows.Sounds like the plan to me.

Reply #77064 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

hey joe,who is this band you are speaking of??if its the one im thinking of the drummer is not SHORT on experience and does a great solo,one thing though ,they dont provide a meal for the band!!

Reply #77065 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Hey Fess I have heard they are not short on talent as well !but surely a meal can be scammed

Reply #77072 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why schedule any games at all on NYE? We don't have them on NY Day or Xmas Day so why not do away with it all together. There are mixed feelings about whether people want them or not but considering many do not and they don't want to waste a game on their season ticket. For that reason, don't have it at all.

Reply #77077 | Report this post

stumpy  
Years ago

For goodness sake.

I don't know what you are all going on about.

Its well known that NYE is possibly the WORST night in the year to go out.

Every pub is jammed, every club costs $30 to get into, every supposedly family friendly dry zones (glenelg, town hall, semaphore) is crawling with drunk louts.

The sixers provide a family friendly place in a familiar environment with like-minded people all celebrating together.

If you don't like it...don't go! Leave it to the people that want to be there and make a reasonable night of it.

And if your arm is twisted and you can't possibly stay away, get a whole bunch of mates together, dress up in a theme, smuggle some bevvies in and you'll probably have a better time than you would expect.

Reply #77098 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

hey stumpy, why would someone so stupid smuggle drinks into a licenced venue. no wonder basa can't make any money.

And if you are happy to spend NYE in an empty stadium listening to a crap band like last year, good luck because you and your drinks will be alone.

Reply #77124 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Stumpy, If tou are that stupid to take your own drinks into a licence centre than you would like the crap served up the last couple of NYE's

If the club plans ahead and promotes the event well in advance with a good band, maybe like the one Joe have mentioned then maybe, maybe this year might work.

People would pay to have good bands and good entertainment if the players and dancing girls would stay and promote the night until the end. The coach and player leave well before midnight so why would people stay.

Reply #77133 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I've always been of the thought that the NYE game should start earlier, around 6-6:30pm.

Thus giving people plenty of time afterwards to head to their respective parties, homes, plan.

Sure still put on a bit of a family show afterwards, but it dosnt necessarily have to run till midnight - I'm sure families would much rather be home after a 6-6:30 good game of bball, some family friendly entertainment and finished by 11pm.

I've been in Adelaide over the Christmas/NYE period for every NYE game and have attended them all, but its always a rush after the game to get into the city/other arrangements for the stroke of midnight.

Alternatively scrap NYE and schedule a afternoon game for NY Day?

Reply #77175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At least alternate it so that players aren't expected to hang around year after year.

Reply #77177 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

good one stumpy,smuggle in alcohol,gr8 thinking on ur part,i spose your one of the idiots who tries taking alcohol out at 1/2 time at games,what a great plan ,lets try and lose the liquor license for basa

Reply #77186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754